Pay up more for the longer rails, and youll still need the shorter ones for smaller areas. Maybe my imagination is just stale, but I dont see the void that the supposedly Origin fills. Shaper Origin is a handheld CNC router - boing - Boing Boing BBS Im willing to test it. with all its GIF animations and whatnot. Two eccentric cams are inside of two arms creating a very compact fivebar linkage. RW, I challenge you to bring a standard optical mouse from drawing board to box in store. That is for large surfaces, sign making, and inlays. The Easel app is browser-based, and you can get to it via Inventables website so no lengthy installation process there. The early bird prices are suspiciously low, making me think that the actual shipping price wont be anything like the quoted $2,100. It started with a machine vision camera and a portable x-y platform. Dont forget: we have already the 21st century. If youre looking for investments, I have some land in Florida. Of course its not all so easy. Shapeoko Pro Review [2023]- Worth the Price? - MellowPine james mcbride spouse 6 juin 2022. The RPM range is 12,000 13,000RPM, making it pretty powerful. Check Price The hype is strong with this one, and I predict a lot of buyers remorse. I haven't measured the accuracy but so far have found the following: Thanks to those who have given their experiences with the shaper it's really helpful to hear your thoughts. A CNC is for carving-type items with multiple features, layers, and detail. You have two choices you can choose their Fully Loaded kit, which has everything you need straight out of the box, or you can choose to customize your machine by buying the parts separately. Not so with a machine you have to hold in both hands while using it Shaper Tools Will Blow Your Mind | Hackaday 3D pen, you can throw your 3D printers in the shed and do things manually, almost as good as on a gantry. These things aren't changing. This can bring CNC precision to many, many work sites and applications, where it wouldnt be practical to take a wall out of a house and load it onto a traditional CNC machine. A Shaper Origin is for things like mortises and tenons. A rocket ship is just a cylinder with some explosions behind it. Experienced Origin users achieve cut quality and precision comparable to a gantry-based CNC. I could also work on full plywood panels, and the best part is that i could just put it standing up, rather than finding a work area of 2*1m flat. Back to the original question. Can there be custom firmware to get around that? #1. But in the end, a lot of what drives my own creativity (and that of the students I teach) is the excitement of exploring a unique take on the tools and materials we all love. A CNC does almost everything the Origin can as long as it fits within the confines of the bed, but a Shaper Origin cannot do everything that a CNC can do. Shaper Origin tools are made in San Francisco. Some time ago I worked in a factory which handled a lot of sheet metal and near the end of the last shift we used to load one of the CNC machines with a pallet of sheet metal. $100 OFF for both you and me if you use my link. And as for the tape being a consumable well youll buy router bits anyway, and those are way more expensive. I think the shaper origin is really going to be a big hit with people who need to take something to a jobsite, but Its not going to replace an X carve or similar in the workshop. It comes in three different sizes: 500mm, 750mm, and 1000mm. Awesome! If youre using this in a shop environment I wonder if you couldnt just use cheap projector or two pointing down at the workpiece to project the domino patterns onto it, rather than using tape. The CAD system will design your product and the CAM system will manufacture it. ; Or if i need something larger say 800mm, what's the tolerance on that also? If youre a beginner, you probably wont need them, but small businesses may need access to these tools. Were cheaper to repair, and produce new stock from inexpensive carbohydrates. So, I think each machine has its strengths and weaknesses, so hard to compare. I'd be way more concerned what happens if the company goes belly-up. X-Carve can be customized if youre an experienced and avid CNC user with a variety of add-ons, whereas the Shapeoko comes as one unit with no add-ons, X-Carve comes with a dust collector, whereas Shapeoko is a lot cheaper, X-Carve is a cloud-based software, whereas Shapeoko is a software that can be installed onto your PC or Mac, X-Carve software has some features locked behind a paid plan, whereas Shapekos free software contains all the features upfront, X-Carve takes a long time to install, whereas Shapeoko comes part-installed, Customizable great if youre an experienced user, Software is pretty straightforward to learn (approachable learning curve), 2017 update has fixed a lot of issues that users had previously, The machine works well and at a good speed, The online community of users is a nice bonus, It can take a lot of adjusting to get to maximum accuracy, The software is great and has everything you need for free, Performance is good with especially smooth results when using wood, Takes some adjusting to get the accuracy just right. If not I recommend you to leave it to a professional tapeer. I had some Scotch blue painters tape on a wood floor for around 8 years, came off with no residue. My poetic rasping aside, the Shaper Origin is the future of making things. My father always told me to buy a decent tool, spend a little more money and you can use it the rest of your life. when you look at a project and think router and jigs reach for this. When you use the router to trace the paths its projecting on its display, it automatically corrects any errors you make by moving the bit opposite of them. This platform used regular lead screws and linear bearings to perform the translations. I most definitely did not say that its uselessId love to have one, if the price (including the consumables) were more reasonable given its limitations and if I had more confidence in Shaper (the unexplained long wait, the wide spread of pre-order prices, and the weak details on the fiducial tape all make me suspicious). The Shaper team has come up with a lot of interesting in-house solutions for testing their machine. While the two generations look similar in appearance, there are a few notable exceptions. If you decide that Origin is not for you, return the tool. While a router would take up a considerable amount of space, this takes up the same amount of space as a circular saw. Initially, Shaper Origin (our handheld CNC) receives a two-click export feature. Shaper Tools - Origin + Workstation = Your Precision Workshop The X-Carve has some real issues with belt slippage, however. Both Mike Szczys and I were able to pick up the tool and cut with it flawlessly, and with minimal training. As for size & cost, I bought a little gantry machine for $2,200 some years back that has a working area of only 13x24, figuring that it would get me started and Id soon replace it with a larger model. Thats right Gen2 will be assembled in Weilheim, Germany, at Festools newest and most advanced production facility. i can easily take the shapper to a job site. That price will unfortunately put it out of reach of most. So if i cant, im not allowed to have a CNC? Efficient, stackable, and safe storage for your tool. If you look at the bottom of the screen you can see some outlined parts. There is really nothing that is secret about the fiducials so third-party tape should be pretty easy to come by if there is demand. Most people are not that good with tracing, myself including. Il like the tape however, for the fact that i could just put some tape, start a work, stop when im tired, or do another more urgent work, then come back at it later, without having positioning issues. After a long wait, Shaper has opened up pre-orders for the device. nsker du at komme p kursus, s kontakt personalet. Being passionate about whatever is what makes doing stuff worthwhile for me at least. Available in 2 sizes. Drop an android/iphone on a 3d printed mount (on an existing router) and use the integrated camera for the machine vision and positioning. And SI/metric units are around for sufficiently long time that this inch and feet stuff should have died out ages ago. Having nicely organized logs is the best way to make such determinations. Reviewers praise the DeWalt router compared to the kind used in previous versions of the X-Carve. As of now, i have NO tool that i can use to make perfectly straight and positioned pocket cuts in thin metal sheet (really thin, its for frontplates). Not only is pocketing possible, but Origin can now retract when it senses error or the cut has been finished. Rather than just accepting that there will be some blowout, you can just slow the cut down and be extra gentle. X-Carve is a little more beginner-friendly than Shapeoko. I tend to agree with Daniel. If there is demand they will be available on alibay at $2 a roll. Lets take a look at the specifications for the Shapeoko 3: If calibrated correctly, accuracy can be 0.005. Demos of a ???????????????????????????? It may have had a specifically oriented sub-layer which if you rotated the mat the pointer did some wacky movements. The basket employs purpose-built software for checking units in/out, and logging detailed bug reports for each unit.. Oh my god, how will we ever pay for a $15 roll of tape? Please continue in writing with this spirit. Check out MatterHackers for the latest promos here. Only got twenty eight thousand dollars of parts and man hours in it too. Starting at $2600 Ships Free in the US See Shapeoko Pro Shapeoko 5 Pro (Coming Soon!) Rather than setting the cutting speed in GCODE, the user sets it by moving the device. Compared to say a 3D printer, that looks like a science fair project :-P, @RW, Just finished upgrading my reprap the other day! Ill admit this is by far the most glowing product endorsement Ive ever seen in a Gerrit article. This device is like those 3D printer pens compared to an actual 3D printer. Of course i convert sometimes, it is not that difficult. But despite that limitation I still see advantages in certain applications. The X-Carve is less so. It would be a simple firmware update anyways. I started this site as a way to share my experience and journal as I learned. This article literally claims this device is as transformative to woodworking as the saw blade. https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/4KQMTPE3F. is fair game. It's amazing how little I appreciated learning these skills when I was younger. chances are that there are people in China working on it already). Its just a toy hobby machine, with real limitations. What about metric units? So nothing to warn about. Learn how your comment data is processed. The core of this technology is bringing power back to us meatbags, from the pincers of our robotic overlords. Its just, more than that. I am not a CNC expert, but Id have to assume there a standard (like Gerbers are to PCB fab) for the input file to such a machine and that this device would accept it. If you want a user-friendly experience with connectivity with others, it could be a good choice for you. No more circle jigs! If so, shouldnt there be some warning about it? Im so excited about it Ive been considering building my own to get it sooner. How Does the Shaper Origin Stack Up Against a CNC Gantry Router? less expensive and there is going to need to be a backup source for the fiducial tape. Copyright 2023 l Total3DPrinting l A Venture 4th Media Company. And no, you do not give a $20/hour worker responsibility over a multi million dollar machine. junio 12, 2022. jonah bobo 2005 . Origin can store a wide array of paths on its internal memory. Shapeoko 3 Looks more rigid than X Carve, at the same time more expansive - with more powerful spindle ~$1300. Hmm, I would think this one is on par with the othermill article I purchased it to do inlays (our company logo) in hardwood flooring in the entrances of our apartment buildings. I also think of it as a revolutionary tool, as a CNC that could be used in a small apartment, and replace many other tools, as well as open new uses (engraving cool patterns on wood beams in your home!). I broke some ribs wrestling yesterday and reading that comment was pretty painful. Its reasonable to assume that if I leave tape on my stock material for a couple years that there will be the possibility of residue being left behind. Sometimes the design file is saved in an unreadable format for Origin, or it contains problematic file elements. If tape cost gets too high, someone can easily make a multi-page pdf file to print out on sheets of mailing label stickers. Anybody tried yet? New hot thing is (the old hot thing from beginnings of industrialization): human augmentation, this time not just, or not at all, for strength, but for precision. One of them is the fiducial tape used by the system. It is well priced. Whether it's launching core accessories like Workstation or Plate, or developing new software like Studio, weve taken feedback along the way from users like you to continue expanding the Shaper System and make Origin the best it can be. lire Min. No need for holding it is a big plus. It would handily replace my router (that im bad at using), my jigsaw, circular saw, my electric coping saw (i dont know the English name of this tool, scie chantourner) that takes a lot of room, and whose precision in my hands are much lower. https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/U8MX9QGUU, Ive debated the cost for a long time. That does seem like quite a neat feature, the ability to adjust offsets on the fly.. Is 0.002" the smallest incremental change you can make, or does it let you go even finer than that if you want to? pity it doesnt fit the festool router, though i did see festool hoses. Although Festool strives for accuracy in the website material, the website may contain inaccuracies. I dont know. So this product as the plastic milling machine is more like a toy, an expensive toy, not a real tool. I may end up between 1000 and 2000$, and ill have a 600*600mm work area. If youre looking at CNC computer numerical control machine youve probably come across the X-Carve and the Shapeoko kit. You dont get to just set it up and walk away. We just got the Origin for my school's FabLab and are pumped to start using it. You can knock that down below 50% if you have a table attachment for router. unlikely. Anyone need a referral code to save us both $ 100 on the Shaper Origin, here is the link: https://preorder.shapertools.com/ref/G4N0G71PN. Its a pretty clever marketing campaign though, you get direct access to hundreds of thousands of subscribers who trust who they subscribe to for very cheap. That said, Shaper doesn't require CAD - you can draw in just about any drawing program and send the file to Shaper as a .SVG file and trace from that. Expect to see the Shaper Origin all over the internet this week. I wouldnt be surprised if the Shaper Origin turns about to just as vaporous. You shouldve stuck your neck out, you might have got one. Based on my limited knowledge, I'm thinking the Shaper Origin may be able to do what the pantorouter does for a little more cost but I'd have to build some jigs and fixtures and the outcome maybe wouldn't be as accurate. Im building my CNC for this purpose, but this would do perfectly. I want to purchase a CNC router and will probably stick to something like a shapeoko simply because I want to do more, like 3d bass relief. Origin cant see enough ShaperTape to guarantee cutting precision. I have been looking at the Shaper Origin for a while. If you want to review the thing, thats fine, but this isnt a review. Shaper Origin Handheld CNC Router Packages Shaper Origin Handheld CNC Router Packages All the efficiency and digital precision of a CNC, but in a compact, portable package with no limits on workpiece size! Having used Shapers Origin, theres no tool I want to add to my personal shop more. it fills a niche in my work flow. Ever since it was first mentioned on HaD and watching the few videos by Ben Krasnow (he successfully used it on thin metal), Ive been lusting after such a device (one that is not constrained by a gantry system, like traditional CNC rigs, so can be used in-situ or over massive areas). I say a few pages because you cant just photocopy the same page over multiple times for use on the same project because the patterns probably have to be different across the full field of view on a single project. Real problem is in the a vibrating motor guiding mechanism. To me the biggest drawback in a one man shop is that man has to be running Shaper. Wired, TechCrunch, etc. Extreme magnification like a mouse uses only works in mouse-like cases. X-Carve vs Shapeoko [2020]: Which CNC Machine is the Best? ), as it would cover the vast majority of my needs. Perhaps a complex configuration of laser lines or projected references from a fixed location (clamped) on the side of the work piece to let the machine know where it is and where it is pointing to. Hackaday writers dont review random stuff, they pick things they like and then write an article reviewing them. Originderives most of its tracking power from a carefully mounted camera on the forward facing side of the device. You cant cheat nature (physics), a cutting tool must be in a rigid fixture and guided by a rigid system, to be able to cut nice surfaces. It can skip steps, crash into clamps, get buried in the dust it creates. Not overly dodgy, just very well coordinated. right now I call that use a chisel, and the only design input requirements are a pencil. You have more than a year until it is shipped. These machines have the capability to destroy themselves, why risk it? If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!