The handy formula is specially designed to reduce your engines temperature by as much as 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Venom Motorcycle Stand Lift Front Rear Combo Stand MOTUL 109767 Motorcycle Chain Clean Lube Kit C1 C2 Just use HD4X from a Triumph dealer (fine, but may not be convenient). Motorcycle servicing explained | Bike Social FAQ. ", Luckily I notice a bottle of Pro Honda Coolant on the counter. Step 3: Drain the reservoir tank too Read More Yamaha R1 and R1M 6th Gen (2015+) Simplified Maintenance ScheduleContinue, Moto Guzzi V85 TT maintenance schedule and service intervals, Read More Moto Guzzi V85 TT Maintenance Schedule and Service IntervalsContinue. I used Holts SpeedFlush from Halfords (Bennetts Rewards members, dont forget your 10% discount off everything at Halfords); whatever you use, make sure its compatible with aluminium engines. The water used in water-cooled bikes (and cars) is often simply called antifreeze, but it does more than prevent the cooling system from freezing up (which would be bad as water freezes it expands, which can crack your engine) Modern coolants are designed to raise the boiling point of the liquid and offer corrosion protection inside the motor. EVANS has achieved this high boiling point by creating a water-free formula. You should check your motorcycle owners manual or a Haynes manual, but on my 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R G2 the coolant should be replaced every 16,000 miles or two years. Show your own, talk about them, get/give info, etc. A lot of the tables are manually copied from old PDFs. Thanks to its low-silicate content, the fluid is perfectly suited to use with virtually any motorcycle. Your browser's JavaScript functionality is turned off. Im basing it on my 1999 Kawasaki ZX-6R, but your bike will have its own unique requirements, so I thoroughly recommend buying a, first. Read More Honda CBR500R (2019-2021) Maintenance Schedule and Service IntervalsContinue. The silicate-free formula will keep performing well for up to five years, making it excellent value for money. Thanks, so Zerex is what I'll look out for first. Theyre mostly inorganic, but with some organic acid coolants. Are braided brake lines better for your motorcycle? This article isnt intended to be all you need to change the coolant on any motorcycle. The main problem with ethylene glycol is that its toxic to animals (and humans), so you cant dump it as easily. Motobike oils can be either part- or wholly-synthetic. Below, we run through what to look out for in a motorcycle coolant, the different types you can choose from, and how you can maintain it. If it doesnt, but the engine is getting hot, there might be a blown fuse, but there could also simply be a stone trapped in the fan blades. Most coolants or antifreezes are made with ethylene glycol, though some like Silkolene Pro Cool use the less toxic propylene glycol. Whether your engine is two-stroke or four-stroke, give it a gentle touch with new motorcycle oil from Halfords. They are the recommended manufacturer for all KTM bikes. This bike takes 2.3 litres of coolant, so make sure your container is large enough. Per the fact sheet available on the website, Peak OET European Vehicles Blue coolant: is an ethylene glycol-based antifreeze/coolant specifically developed for use in any European vehicle requiring a Blue silicate-enhanced hybrid organic acid technology (Si-HOAT) formula. KTM is a premium bike manufacturer, so even though those companies have a partnership, at least KTM working with them is a vote of confidence. Working out exactly which coolant is best for your bike can be tricky, but luckily Car Bibles is here to help. Thats it refit the caps and get on with riding. In a typical modern car, this temperature should be in the range of 194 degrees Fahrenheit. Each bottle arrives ready mixed, and ready to use, for maximum convenience. That corrosion can creep under the head gasket and cause it to fail, which is a much more expensive repair than simply changing your coolant when it needs doing.. Please turn it on so that you experience this site's full capabilities. Please enable cookies in your web browser to improve your shopping experience. If you ask people on forums, youll get a wide range of recommendations, including. PS, last time I checked, Ireland is not in the midlands Joe. Before I sign off let me make something clear. I want to say pink, but can't be sure. PEAK Lubricants is an American lubricant brand owned by Old World Industries. Sign up today to stay tuned. In an emergency, you can top up with water but this will be diluting the mixture, which will reduce the effectiveness of the system, so you should get it back to the correct mixture as soon as possible. Coolant Questions | Triumph Motorcycle Forum - TriumphTalk However the bottle does state that it is type 2 and it is Honda's own product. RTFM. This bike takes 2.3 litres of coolant, so make sure your container is large enough. A top up would be great but I need a compatible coolant. Whether you ride a Honda or a Harley, motorcycle coolant is vital. The only thing I see as being different is the price! Royal Purple has also earned a spot on our list, thanks to its coolant additive. Other additives ensure good compatibility with hard water., Is based on ethylene glycol (like most coolants), in a 50-50 mix, has silicates, borates, and nitrite (inorganic corrosion inhibitors), Antifreeze/antiboil (the former is more important), and. If in doubt, this rugged coolant and antifreeze solution is always a safe bet. Most important characteristics of HD4X: HOAT, Low Silicate, High Nitrite. It is ready mixed so requires no dilution and it can be used all year round as a coolant and as anti-freeze with a temperature range of +108C to -34C. Sign up to keep up-to-date on everything happening in the world of Halfords. To help prevent this, look out for a coolant thats formulated to reduce corrosion. Being free from silicates a conventional antifreeze ingredient that can deteriorate over time the durable coolant has an impressively long life. While not as cheap as some. Motul is easy to get here. I also removed the bottom rad hose to ensure everything was out. The coolant will also contain antifreeze and anti-corrosion agents, to help prevent it from freezing in the winter, or damaging the radiator and other cooling system components. coolant | The Triumph Forum Maintenance Schedules | Service Intervals. In fact, its approved for use on a number of racetracks world wide. However, digging into spec sheets confirms that Valvoline Zerex G-05 also contain borates. /bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/bike-maintenance/change-motorcycle-coolant-diy-fix-special, bikesocial/news-and-views/advice/Bike maintenance/change-motorcycle-coolant-diy-fix-special, How to change your motorcycles coolant | DIY bike fix, The water used in water-cooled bikes (and cars). But the two best Triumph HD4x alternatives are below. Honda CBR500R (2019-2021) maintenance schedule and service intervals. The Best Coolants and Antifreezes so You Don't Boil or Freeze Up An alternative to ENI Agip Permanent Spezial Antifreeze and why. Water free coolants also tend to last for longer than water based solutions. Whats the best tyre for my scooter or small motorcycle? Organic Acid Technology (OAT) Coolant uses additives to increase its lifespan significantly up to around 150,000 miles. My manual recommends 10W-30 oil. It works by improving the coolants heat exchanging capabilities, making for a more efficient exchange in the radiator. Motorcycle Battery Chargers & Accessories, Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W/40 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 1ltr, Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W/40 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 4ltr, Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/30 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 1ltr, Castrol Power 1 Scooter 2T Scooter Engine Oil - 1ltr, Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W/30 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 4ltr, Castrol Power 1 Racing 2T Motorcycle Engine Oil - 1ltr, Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/30 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 4ltr, Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 10W/30 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 1ltr, Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/40 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 4ltr, Castrol Power 1 4T 10W/40 Motorcycle Engine Oil - 1ltr, Halfords Motorcycle Engine Oil Fully Synthetic 5W/40 - 5ltr, Halfords Bike Oil 10W-40 Part Syn Motorcycle Oil 5L, Grade : ACEA 10W-40, API SG and JASO MA2 standards. Maintenance schedule for the Kawasaki Ninja 400 oil changes, spark plugs, air filters, etc. is often simply called antifreeze, but it does more than prevent the cooling system from freezing up (which would be bad as water freezes it expands, which can crack your engine) Modern coolants are designed to raise the boiling point of the liquid and offer corrosion protection inside the motor. (i know its OT :) ). When engines burn fuel, energy is released, but only about a third of this energy actually moves the vehicle forward the rest is lost as heat. Collection Details Mobil Advanced Coolant (OAT) 1 Litre Protect your vehicle from frost, corrosion and overheating with the Mobil Advanced Coolant (OAT) 1 Litre. Check the engine flush instructions, but here I just had to run the engine on a fast idle for ten minutes (I wound the idle adjuster in a little), before letting it cool then draining the fluid out fully. The reason HOAT coolants exist is because of trade-offs. The inhibitors in HD4X include organic acids in combination with, HD4X uses sophisticated stabilisation technology to eliminate the potential for formation of silicate gel (often observed with inferior products). Honda recommends their own "Pro Honda HP Coolant" in the owner's manual of my 500. Pop the reservoir hose back on, as well as any other hoses you might have taken off, but leave the drain bolt out. Remember that Bennetts customers can save a massive, Engine flush I used Holts cooling system cleaner, which I bought from Halfords with my 10% discount for being a, If the coolant isnt replaced frequently enough, corrosion can start to form inside the engine, says Nick Nomikos, owner and MoT tester at, . For this reason, its important to look out for a formula with a high boiling point at least 250 degrees Fahrenheit. Draining and flushing is too difficult for me to do with the tools I have. Please turn it on so that you experience this site's full capabilities. Halfords OAT Ready Mixed Antifreeze 2 Litres | Halfords UK Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Not required. Workshop advice: How to fit a shock, change bearings and start a custom motorcycle build, Workshop Wisdom - Episode 1: Pre-ride Checks, Workshop Wisdom - Episode 3: Motorcycle Oil and Filter change, Workshop Wisdom - Episode 4: Batteries and chargers, Workshop Wisdom - Episode 5: Brake fluid change, Workshop Wisdom - Episode 6: Give your bike a thorough clean, 40% on Haynes manuals at Bennetts Rewards, Used bike buying checklist: How to buy a second hand motorcycle. Replacing your engine oil is cheap and simple and can extend the life of your engine by thousands of miles. My Daytona 675 never even dropped below the maximum, maybe a few mm at most but well above minimum mark, never needed to top up, and I had it for almost 6 years. The Triumph dealership in comparison is trying to charge extortionate prices. Si-OAT (Silicated HOAT) - Silicates and organic acids - Purple. Engine coolant, ideal for use with most motorcycles Contains 50% deionized water Keeps your engine functioning at temperatures as low as -34 Boiling point of 265 Protects against corrosion and cavitation in the cooling system Contains anti-foam agents Low-silicate formula Specification Brand Maxima Model 82964 Weight 4.3 pounds 6