But in this series of hugely professional and thoroughly authentic farewells, you can hear the pain. The drive-time slot is hosted by Max & Jason weekdays from 4pm-7pm. His great personality will be largely wasted on Afternoon Concert. On 6 September 2021, Sam FM was rebranded as Hits Radio Bristol and The South West. My wife who was a eagle radio fan ,always had on in the car and kitchen ,for the travel news,has changed station saying what has happened to Eagle? @iancrouch_radio @StuartMcGinley @milly_luxford pic.twitter.com/4PpT4NTxd0, Stagecoach South (@StagecoachSouth) August 28, 2020. I wish presenters would stop mumbling into the microphone and speak clearly- those who drop their voices at the end of sentences are especially irritating as are those who speak intimately as though the listener is next to them in the same room. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. BRING BACK THE REGIONAL PRESENTERS! Eagle is one of the UKRD stations that does really well even though there's plenty of competition (from the London stations), especially in Guildford. Angry Heart listeners demand 'return of regional presenters' with a new Kam is a Presenter at Greatest Hits Radio Swindon. The current state of the media industry means it could be difficult for staff to find jobs elsewhere, with many of the affected stations located in mid-sized settlements where there are no other stations. Kam has been a Presenter at Atmosphere. In the meantime, Wake Up Bitches.you gonna be late. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. It's also worth remembering that moving to a rival broadcaster is not always successful. Is organic formula better than regular formula. They believe that when they are presenting on the BBC, they are talking to the nation.". Eagle FM owner John Walenga will talk about the idea of Eagle TV at 09h00 on 30 April 2020. A large number of presenters have left the BBC in recent months - either by force or by choice. Fake cadences and top note squeaking is irritating beyond measure; talk properly and clearly as a present ought, thats all we ask surely? Time for some decency, and time for overpayed Stalinists like Alan Davey to walk the plank! the umlaut were to her unknowe. pic.twitter.com/SRHMhIeazn, . On behalf of our #WestSussex Stagecoach colleagues we thank you for entertaining us since 1996! "But there are lots of other tensions at play," Kanter continues. Also when R3 was often interrupted by Test Match Cricket, on one occasion he announced dolefully -And now Its CRICKET. Hes been perfect for the morning slot. Some of the individuals have new radio homes others do not. But that they have to try is an undoubted factor, I think. Economics aside as I do not have access to their accounts some of these operations have proven that local radio can have a place most evident in smaller proud communities where its is well run by a committed team. So radio historian David Lloyd has created an audio montage to remember just some of those presenters moving on before being replaced by a national breakfast show: David Lloyd writes: 2020 and. When he left, Marr said he was looking forward to "getting his voice back" - a reference to impartiality rules at the BBC. Weve seen many messages on social media from presenters and listeners marking the day, too many to list in one article. In smaller broadcast areas, particularly, where reach was high, yet overall audience volume (and thus national revenues) will never be huge owing simply to the TSA size, the balance of all these factors- taken together with the growth in overall brand might is an interesting one. Where I lived in Thamesmead #spirefm pic.twitter.com/DDOeHfhN10, Simon Ward Photography (@SimonWardPhoto) August 28, 2020. Content is similarly tailored to such listeners. Skelly was one of the best Radio3 presenters and I looked forward to his slots on Essential Classics. Come back Ian, there was nothing to forgive! Its been downhill since the departure of Rob Cowan. "It's important to remember that because of progressive government cuts since 2010, the BBC has suffered a 30% cut in revenue," says Prof Barnett. DIGITAL SPY, PART OF THE HEARST UK ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK. Theme Kourtier Blog by. SCULL said . Disgraceful business decision. It has been the privilege of my life to have you as my friends + I'll miss you beyond measure. Why has Steve Allen quit LBC? | The Sun Eagle Radio Digital Spy Last ever show on Minster FM done! Cant help but smile. When Chris Evans swapped Radio 2 for Virgin, he went from having around nine million listeners to around one million. However, you may visit "Cookie Settings" to provide a controlled consent. But what is behind the current raft of departures? Can Nigeria's election result be overturned? Read about our approach to external linking. Membership benefits will include a daily digest of stories delivered to your email, and occasional exclusive offers from our partners. What do you think of the decision to axe the local breakfast shows and replace them with Amanda and Jamie from London? Its all old hits now . Or is this a remake of John Drummond being told by a BBC executive that he had been tainted by experience? These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. Head to our Facebook page @EntertainmentDailyFix and let us know! Simon Mayo. Now, if they could get rid of that dreadful Sean Rafferty I would be very pleased. Why shouldn't the BBC do that more often, and let long-established names leave? What is happening to Eagle Radio? - Toccochicago.com Simon Mayo described it as an "annual turkey shoot", while Graham Norton said it was "not comfortable and not nice". !!! So Ian Skelly, a gentle, informed and subtly humorous presence, falls victim to the Radio 3 cult of the presenter. All Access Audio Summit 2023 Full Agenda Debuts Monday, March 6th -- Check Out Our Lineup Of 81 Talented Speakers/Content Creators And All 18 Sessions, Mentoring & Inspiring Women In Radio, Luminate Name Meg Dowdy Elevating Women In Audio Mentee. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. @PGcomms says goodbye to @eagleradio after almost 25 years on breakfast (Aug 7th 2020). It does not store any personal data. I've been VERY lucky. But at the same time, presenter paranoia exists for a reason - we're all aware there's always somebody behind you wanting to do your job. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Georgia Mann-Smith??? ALL ACCESS has learned that CINDY SCULL has departed iHEARTMEDIA's Rock KEGL (97.1 THE EAGLE)/DALLAS - FORT WORTH after 27 years with the station. I'm on 6 Music six days a week [but] the Radio 2 show was performing well," he said earlier this week. John Somerville (Feb 2018)Slater & Gordon / CEO. Another said: Loving you guys already. Read more: Piers Morgan says Susanna Reid has an unrequited love for him. Listeners have been writing in anger to Slippedisc and other outlets. Peter Gordon does final show on Eagle Radio after 25 years Eagle Radio breakfast presenter Peter Gordon has signed off for the last time, ahead of the station's rebrand to Greatest Hits. How is having i) another woman ii) another Londoner iii) another woman of a certain age going to attract more listeners? It remains to be seen whether Bauer will feel in five years time that each of the moves were wise for the organisation overall. Kam is a Presenter at Greatest Hits Radio Swindon. We dont need just an announcer for this sort of programme. In America, and I assume also in the UK, classical music is a strong office listening radio format, along with other adult music formats such as classic rock, oldies, smooth jazz, country music, adult contemporary (AC), urban adult (soul and R&B oldies), etc. What happened to Bush Troy and Paulina heart radio? I have listened to Eagle a lot over the years. Ian Skelly though is much missed and I now go to Classic FM during her schedule as it is simply too unbearable. Copyright All rights reserved. Adrian Chiles and Christine Bleakley famously failed to transplant their chemistry from The One Show to ITV's Daybreak. How can I put it politely? Baker claimed it was a "stupid gag". SCULL said goodbye to THE SCULLY MORNING SHOW and listeners via an INSTAGRAM post earlier this week. The station went through a transitional period where its playlist was changed over to the 70s, 80s and 90s era, and jingles changed to reflect the station playing "greatest hits". Good luck with claasic fm etc all those who say they are leaving. Norway ignores bad reception and starts FM radio switch-off, Digital radio overtakes analogue in homes for first time, Oslo calling: Norwegians prepare to scrap FM radio, slowly reducing the amount of local content. Radio 3s editorial decisions are driven by the type of listener it wants to attract now rather than its cultural remit. Some people do like the change though, with one listener tuning in especially from Lanzarote to tell Amanda she was sounding blooming fab! Getty Images Heart features. The changes are being made to make way for Bauers Greatest Hits Radio brand taking over many local radio services next week. There is nothing more annoying than having to turn up the volume or stand next to the loudspeaker just to hear what or who was just playing. It launched on DAB Digital Radio on 12 December 2013. PLEASE admit it was wrong to lose the local side to Heart!! Bring back the breakfast show on Heart and keep Kent happy in the mornings!. "So they have a responsibility. The arguments in favour of the brand and networked approach are well-rehearsed, and we all appreciate that the future of radio in a broader audio world not least with the economics of COVID around us is a very different picture, and it is dangerous to imagine that everything can carry on in the way it did in previous generations. The station was sold by its original founders in October 2001 to Radio Investments Limited, which later became known as The Local Radio Company. London Now it's a great big fat frightened rat. Britains Got Talent judge Amanda Holden caused a stir earlier this week when she joined Jamie Theakston on the Heart Breakfast Show. This obviously attracted comments of the most ill-advised and ignorant kind; no doubt from idiotic new listeners who had turned onto the new fluffier (read, unprofessional) presentational style of Radio 3. Ian Skelly is one of the best presenters on Radio 3. [1] He appears every Wednesday as a newspaper reviewer on Sky News Sunrise. pic.twitter.com/oMlLpehZQe, New audio @MattMunroe_dj at Tower FM Bolton (Aug 28th 2020).#aircheck #radio pic.twitter.com/rCjDs9gbM0, New audio Helen Wakefield at Wire FM Warrington (Aug 28th 2020).#aircheck #radio pic.twitter.com/VeYttLBujh, New audio Dave Johnson at Signal 2 Staffordshire & Cheshire (Aug 28th 2020).#aircheck #radio pic.twitter.com/nCEOPKRQ5q, New audio @blokeonradio at Pulse 2 West Yorkshire (Aug 28th 2020). ?And SHAME on soulless companies like @BauerMedia with NO interest in LOCAL radio. They made everyones mornings brighter and they are now out of jobs! Skelly is the urbane co-presenter of Radio 3's mid-morning weekday show. (And thus became a shoo-in for a BBC announcers job). And Ive long given up listening to the morning programmes. Wishing our friends at #SpiritFM #Chichester all the very best. Peter Gordon does final show on Eagle Radio after 25 years. Dozens of towns and cities across England will lose their own distinctive local radio stations later this year, after the commercial group Bauer announced plans to fold almost 50 regional outlets into a national radio network. Kam has been a Presenter at Sam FM (Thames Valley) since 9 September 2019. All Rights Reserved. Others think the BBC should let its biggest names leave rather than offer huge sums to keep them, and grow a new generation of stars instead. Many of them have left the corporation entirely, although a few still do some work for the BBC. It is the bedrock of why people come to us.". Wessex FM was finally rebranded to Greatest Hits Radio at 6:00am on 1 September 2020. The station went through a transitional period where its playlist was changed over to the 70s, 80s and 90s era, and jingles changed to reflect the station playing "greatest hits". Gusher Main-Spout!!! According to RAJAR, the station has a weekly audience of 152,000 listeners and a 5.9% share as of September 2021. ?? At the time of writing, the petition had already been backed by almost 6,000 radio listeners up and down the country, with one saying that Heart has no heart without its local presenters. I wouldnt be where I am today without Signal107. SCULL rejoined KEGL in 2008, a few months after the EAGLE brand returned. Personally I find Skelly highly irritating: his cheeky-chappie attitude grates and his attempts at wit mostly fall flat. Most solicitors, who may advertise a No Win, No Fee service, charge their clients a success fee of up to 25% of the damages awarded. Combining stations into national outlets has generally been a success when it comes to boosting listenership, although it usually comes at the expense of hearing regional accents on air and substantially reduces the number of media jobs outside London. Is Ian Skelly not even more hugely experienced and knowledgable? Kanter suggests: "What we're going to see increasingly, I think, is the BBC effectively hiding salaries through its commercial division or independent production companies. Would do it all again tomorrow! For stars who made their name in news, such as Sopel, Maitlis and Marr, the freedom offered by rivals is a significant attraction. Below: Peter Gordon and Bev from the breakfast show, leave Eagle Radio, 7th August 2020. What has gone wrong at BBC Radio 2? - Radio Times Jack FM. "This presenter weighed that offer up, but ultimately decided that the platform they have on the BBC was more compelling than the cash. 2. You've got Radio Brooklands and Radio Woking on SSDAB. The come-to-bed, have another whisky voice of GM makes Classic FM a real temptation not, surely, what the BBC wants and Im sorry for her to be put in this position; shes NOT hugely experienced and, initially, German esp. Feltz, for example, moved to the recently-launched Talk TV, while the huge investment in podcasts has seen Maitlis, Sopel and Radio 1's Chris Stark move to Global. She underwent music based physio therapy and has regained her speech such that she was able to appear on womans hour. Cannot for the life of me see why you consider Ian Skelly being more suited to simply introducing the music. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. Others admitted they had tried the celebrity presenters but soon changed to a local radio station. Thank God for the CD player. The music level is fine but presentersjust speak up!! No young people are going to listen to Feedback, even if you get HRVY or Joe Sugg to present it, because BBC Radio 4 isn't on their radars.". What do you think? If you lose your case, youll not be charged, so theres no financial risk. His sense of fun and gently cheeky humour has been such a delight, and his knowledge of classical music and performance has filled many an hour with interest and entertainment. Prince Harry and Meghan to be dealt fresh monetary punishment thatll hurt? Perhaps the departures that attract the most uproar are when a presenter doesn't want to leave - but the BBC is looking to appoint someone new who will attract younger listeners and viewers. Living-Candle-2934 1 mo. He continued hosting his film show on Radio 5 Live with Mark Kermode, but that was recently poached too, by Sony. Jon Gaunt - Wikipedia The BBC 5 Live presenter was accused of mocking the duchess's racial heritage. Some stars, like Zoe Ball and Gary Lineker, have taken pay cuts following the scrutiny. Radio 2's multi-generational appeal serves a 35+ audience, a target which hasn't changed in decades, and we are proud to feature the best music from the 60s to the present day, which is key to the station's continued success.". Cindy Scull Leaves 97.1 The Eagle. Welcome to AllAccess.com, the web's largest radio and music industry community. Bauer-owned stations rebranding as GreatestHitsRadioThe Beach (Great Yarmouth & Lowestoft)The Breeze (Alton, Petersfield, Haslemere & Bordon)The Breeze (Andover)The Breeze (Basingstoke)The Breeze (Bath)The Breeze (Bridgwater & West Somerset)The Breeze (Bristol)The Breeze (Cheltenham)The Breeze (Newbury)The Breeze (Reading)The Breeze (Shaftesbury)The Breeze (Torbay)The Breeze (Warminster)The Breeze (Weston super Mare)The Breeze (Yeovil)Compass FM (Grimsby)Dearne FM (Barnsley)Dream 100 (Tendring)Eagle Radio (Guildford)KLFM (Kings Lynn)Minster FM (Northallerton)Minster FM (York)Mix 96 (Aylesbury)North Norfolk Radio (North Norfolk)Peak FM (Chesterfield)Pulse 2 (Bradford & Huddersfield)Radio Norwich (Norwich)Ridings FM (Wakefield)Rother FM (Rotherham)Rutland Radio (Rutland)Sam FM (Swindon)Signal 107 (Kidderminster)Signal 107 (Shrewsbury & Oswestry)Signal 107 (Telford)Signal 107 (Wolverhampton)Signal 2 (Stoke-on-Trent)Spire FM (Salisbury)Spirit FM (Chichester)Stray FM (Harrogate)Swansea Sound (Swansea)Tower FM (Bolton & Bury)Trax FM (Bassetlaw)Trax FM (Doncaster)Wave 96.5 (Blackpool)Wessex FM (Weymouth)Wire FM (Warrington)Wish FM (Wigan)Yorkshire Coast Radio (Bridlington)Yorkshire Coast Radio (Scarborough), Bauer-owned stations retaining their name and own breakfast shows but broadcasting Hits Radio during the rest of the day:Pulse 1 (Bradford & Huddersfield)Signal 1 (Stoke-on-Trent)96.4 The Wave (Swansea)Fire Radio (Bournemouth), Bauer-owned stations remaining as standalone outlets:Lincs FM (Lincolnshire)Pirate FM (Cornwall)Sam FM (Bristol), Original reporting and incisive analysis, direct from the Guardian every morning. Eagle Radio breakfast presenter Peter Gordon has signed off for the last time, ahead of the stations rebrand to Greatest Hits Radio in a few weeks time. Mark Goodier. Read about our approach to external linking. The first song played was "Uptown Girl" by Billy Joel and the second song was "Dreams" by Fleetwood Mac. The login page will open in a new tab. Real reason Prince Andrew may be forced out of terrible Royal Lodge amid Frogmore claims, I am Madeleine McCann girl shares big announcement: Our discoveries are shocking, I Am Madeleine McCann girl timeline: Claims, evidence, DNA test demands and backlash. But what the episode surely highlights is the toxic managerial culture in the BBC. Ive only just read about Ian Skellys removal from the R3 morning slot but I have to say I was hardly heartbroken when it happened, and welcomed Georgia Mann (at least part compensation for losing Suzy Klein to management!). Over the next five years, she went from nights to mornings to middays before claiming mornings for good in 2013. . Ian is the better of the two current presenters and yet hes had the push. All I got was the usual dismissive stance and justification-led reply and nothing on the back of my final rebuttal to producer Vant. We will miss Ian Skellys wit and charm on Radio 3 in the morning. After a lengthy argument they decided to put it on the GWR FM website, as soon as this happened Paulina walked out on the show, leaving Bush and Troy to finish the show themselves. Thank you Ian for some enjoyable,lifting mornings !!! The BBC has always been a timorous beastie. The current Fire Radio breakfast presenters Max and Jason will move over to Hits Radio Bristol and the South West (formerly Sam FM) to present drivetime, while Jono Holmes will start a new drivetime show on Hits Radio Bournemouth and Poole. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. YEA Networks Joins Arc Software For Affiliate Research, Maintenance. Auditions are clearly not behind a screen. Eagle and its market have the same conditions as Pirate where both are doing well in a competitive market with Heart available on FM. Neither will probably appeal to Eagle listeners?. ", My experience of local radio was Capital FM with Chris Tarrant, Steve Penk and the Flying Eye! Most of acquired Bauer stations to become Greatest Hits Radio Allied changed the old FM Premier service to Radio Mercury and the County Sound name was used for the AM services but wasnt really like the original County Sound at all. Maybe Georgia went to the Clemmy Burton-Hill school of presentation? Afternoons are prime time for these formats, not a graveyard shift. Jon Gaunt. Chacun a son gout, I suppose, but for me Georgia Mann is one of the most irritating and patently least knowledgeable presenters on R3 . When I hear Elizabeth Alkers mushy voice on Saturday morning I instantly switch to another channel. From my first day to my final day, Ive loved every minute. The little Ive heard of Georgia Mann I cant say Im overly impressed. Georgia Mann knows that less is more, and will ensure I dont switch off in the mornings, as I frequently do when Skelly gets on my nerves. Eagle Radio - Wikipedia In some cases audiences may rise, and in others they may fall. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". The Village Loudspeaker: What's happened to truly local radio? . Age, gender or simply too knowledgable? The industry-wide move towards consolidating local stations into de facto national outlets has been under way for years, with the move exacerbated as Britons increasingly listen to the radio via DAB radio and smart speakers such as Amazons Echo rather than FM radio. Eagle Radio was purchased by Bauer Media in 2019 along . These cases will run on a No Win No Fee basis so if you win your case, well charge you 25% of your compensation. 1. These people are self aggrandising and immature in their handling of what is meant to be an arts channel. ", He points out: "Career development for everyone is cyclical - the people who are now moving on once replaced someone who made way for them. Janice Long - Wikipedia This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Eagle Radio was purchased by Bauer Media in 2019 along with other stations in the UKRD group. As a presenter on the network's 105.7 Smooth Radio in Birmingham, he fronted the weekday afternoon show from 1 to 4pm, as well as hosting a programme on Saturday between 10am and 1pm. Georgia Mann is a brilliant broadcaster some are just radio naturals and she is one of them. The range of opinions on Ian Skellys defenestration shows that taste differs hugely. Cookies are also used for Google Ads personalisation. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. The 61-year-old presented a Saturday morning show on the network. For localness Heart Surrey isn't as good as Eagle. ago. From 1 April 2015, the Jack FM name was dropped in favour of Sam FM by the station owner Celador Radio, who decided on changing the name six months beforehand. When presenter left LBC and his statement following immediate exit. Their departures have invited some uncomfortable headlines and questions for the corporation in the process. "I can see their point. I, like many others, will no longer listen to the Radio 3 morning slot because it has become just another DJ focused station (like Classic FM) void of any interaction with Radio 3 listeners. Has chrissie jackson left radio norfolk? Explained by Sharing Culture Im sure his charm will transfer to the afternoons, but the format, unless changed, will not capitalise on his talents. He joins a presenting line up including Penny Gore, Tom McKinney, and Fiona Talkington. This is Neanderthal managerialism(unfortunately shared by most of our universities). We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. That's how the conveyer belt of talent works. Radio since 25 July 2020. Closure. Mann/Klein His wit and charm seem effortless. The salary publication acts as what former director general Tony Hall described as a poacher's charter - giving commercial rivals a chance to outbid the BBC for top stars. ", Radio listeners are famously resistant to change, and often sceptical that it's even possible to attract young audiences to stations that skew older. Honestly, how can any devotee of the great composers stand this mindless crap? Elsewhere, Craig Charles lost his weekend Radio 2 show (although he is staying on 6 Music). Where is Steve Allen? When presenter left LBC and his statement As Gordon explains it, the firm was created to take on a matter for a man born with defects from thalidomide, one he felt compelled to take. I don't understand why people would be confused about not wanting new presenters to come through - it is inevitable.". Im sorry to say I had long been tired of Mr Skellys manner, which I found pretentious and irritating. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. What percentage does Slater and Gordon take? "We must remember we are talking about human beings, at the end of the day, who want to stay in a job they enjoy doing, who are experienced and talented in their field," notes North. The consolidation approach was pioneered by Bauers rival Global, which turned Capital and Heart into national brands by buying up regional stations and slowly reducing the amount of local content. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Skelly is the urbane co-presenter of Radio 3s mid-morning weekday show. Announcing his exit from weekday afternoons earlier this year, Steve Wright said: "My friend and boss Helen Thomas, head of Radio 2, said she wanted to do something different in the afternoons." She has become known for her work presenting Radio 3s Breakfast programme, as well as lunchtime and evening concerts and a range of programmes on Radio 3, including Words and Music. Given the BBCs propensity for wanting to refresh the lineup, isnt it more than time for the same dictum to apply to their management? As a first step we encourage you to take membership at US$79/59 a year, or $165/125 for three years.