Mostly I am wondering if anything of this description and presence has been encountered before, especially in Texas. In April 2020, the Pentagon released three unclassified videos showing unidentified aerial phenomena. One video was recorded in November 2004 and two were recorded in January 2015. 27 REAL Wendigo Sightings (COMPILATION) - YouTube My jaw was tight, my fist clenched, knowing I wasnt ready for whatever was out there if it was anything at all. Devils Lake is actually called Day-wa-kun-chunk (holy lake or Sacred Lake) by the Ho-Chunk. To the white settlers reading this, it was a tale of devil-worship, black magic, and deadly superstition among the untamed savages of the uncharted wilds, and it drew much call to bring the Native people under control and impose their own laws on them. You dont earn the name Devils Lake for no reason. We are also from south eastern Wisconsin, in Waukesha county. In the 1980s, several people reported that the beast attacked their cars and trucks, leaving long scratch marks. The Wendigo is a mythical creature that has been reported in many different forms. The report failed to offer firm explanations for many of the questions that raised the report's profile in the first place, such as whether UFOspose a national security threat or whether they offer evidenceof extraterrestrial life. There are many names for the creature, such as Windigo, Witigo, and Witiko. 6 Creepy Cryptids That Call Wisconsin Home. Their origins also have some variations, but the main cause according to the majority of traditions, is that humans who were overcome by greed or hunger, or those who resorted to cannibalism to stay alive, were at risk of becoming Wendigos themselves. The Wendigo has been described as a giant with a heart of ice, recessed eye holes and a lipless maw for a mouth. Simonton died 11 years later at the age of 71. Is it something that is even beyond our comprehension? Citation: The Driftless Reader, by Curt Meine and Keene Keeler, p. 80, my grand father always called it Tawacunchukdah translates roughly to spirt lake. As soon as the light hit it launched backwards off of the tree. The thing is massive. I also became increasingly paranoid that someone or something was out there with me. A Strange Creature Near Holy Hill | J. Nathan Couch Northern lights gleam green and purple above Wisconsin. document.getElementById( "ak_js_2" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Scare Yourself Senseless at These Haunted Wisconsin Attractions, $209 a pound?! But there are also more to know about. After feasting on another humans flesh, he transformed into a crazed man-beast, roaming the forest in search of more people to eat. He kept asking me what I saw but I couldnt answer. Travelers along this misty stretch of highway would report seeing lights and a strange lone figure patrolling the road. The Best Evidence and Footage of the WENDIGO Cryptid Monster I live in a rural suburb in SE WI near a line of woods and ponds. By Mindy Rossette. Seemed to levitate across the road in front of our car. I tend to walk my dog after dinner and before bed, and my town is pretty safe, so walking her in the dark never phased me. But speed wouldnt be a necessary skill for a monster of this nature. If an individual could not be saved and turned violent to those around them, they would be executed as death is seen as the only way to treat Wendigo if one became possessed and could not be healed. The Wendigo, The Cannibalistic Beast Of Native American Folklore The Mystery of New York's Renegade Subway Psychic, Forget About What We Know About Roswell: It's What's Missing About the Case That We Need to Look For, Archeologists Discover Another Secret Corridor Inside the Great Pyramid of Giza, Rock Star Richey Manic and His Mysterious 1995 Disappearance: A Book Reviewed, Mexico's President Reveals Photo of Mythical Maya Elf, Mysterious Mermaid Mummy in Japanese Temple Has Finally Been Identified, Mysterious Flying Fanged Creature That Separates Into Two Parts Reported in the Philippines. If you are interested yourself then maybe youll have to take a trip over to Bray Road at night and see for yourself. The tribes attributed many of the mysterious disappearances to the wendigo, thus calling him the spirit of lonely places.. Biology, nature, and cryptozoology still remain Brent Swancers first intellectual loves. The 5 Hottest Majors at the University of Wisconsin Right Now, Business fear and loathing in las vegas adrenochrome scene. After all, besides some of the telltale signs such as the generation of fear, general appearance, and what seems to be in some cases an effort to trick or draw in the victim, as well as the assertion from all of these witnesses that these were "Wendigos," we are left wondering if there is perhaps something else to this all. The part I never like to talk about. Wendigo: A Man-Eating Monster Famous From American Folklore - Bugged Space One of the latest stories of Wendigo encounters was in the early 20th century when a man named Jack Fiddler and his brother were arrested for killing 14 people who apparently had turned Wendigo. We dont know if its a Wendigo or a skinwalker, but behind one of the trees in our yard he noticed a deer like creature that happens to make him very uneasy. A recent episode of In Search of Monsters on the Travel Channel interviewed people who spotted a Wendigo at a lakeside camp near Spooner. Rocky of Rock Lake Lake Mills People have reported seeing the beast scavenging along the roads in Walworth County and neighboring Jefferson and Racine counties. But what about those scary wendigo stories that supposedly affected real people? All Rights Reserved. I usually bolt for the door after work when I get the feeling. He looked shaken and kept looking through the peephole in my door and not saying anything. 3. The creature known as Mothman originated around Point Pleasant, WV with multiple sightings between 1966-67. In certain cultures wendigo are depicted as humanoid, but with pale skin like a corpse. Followher on Twitter at @AlisaMSchafer. Newspapers as far away as Philadelphia reported on this amazing scientific discovery. Behind all of the houses on this side of the street is woods, and some of the trees wrap around between this house and the neighboring house coming back towards home. This werewolf cryptid has had several sightings in the 1990s with local newspapers reporting on the topic and even eventually gaining some national news attention as the most popular werewolf sighting in the U.S. All names of the Wendigo translate to evil spirit that devours mankind. A flesh-eating monster appears in the video game Fallout 76 and has 3 different subspecies and the characteristics of the Wendigo monster that the player faces depends upon where they are in the game. Swift Runner returned a year later after the trip and claimed that his family had died of starvation. HOME | Wendigo Advisors Reports of Wendigo encounters are not as common today, but people still claim the Wendigo lurks around in the dark forests waiting to prey on its next victim. Wendigo accounts have continued on sporadically into modern times, and there may even be people devoted to fighting them, but none who have been so high profile as Jack Fiddler, and part of the traditions of these beasts died with him. The tracks seem to step over our standing flowerbeds that line the windows because the tracks walk up to and between (not around, and there's no way to go under) the beds right on our window line. Im not sure what is was but my family suggests that it was my guardian angel saving me from a early death, But after that experience I have never been to the same campsite ever again, and didnt go camping for a few years after that. The Wendigo - An American Cannibal | Sightings of the Wendigo I could list every single commercial airplane model in use right now, he said. The Strange Case of the Last Wendigo Hunter - Mysterious Universe The men they were supposed to meet became possessed by Wendigo and claimed to be ravenous for human flesh and would attack children, women, and men. There is a document from the Jesuit Relations that claims French missionaries stumbled upon individuals with an unknown condition to them, Wendigo psychosis. Until Dawn is a video game where the player can control up to 8 different characters that are trapped on Blackwood Mountain. View Map Email Share Casual dining featuring local farmers, craft beer, artisan cocktails and modern pub food. He immediately called his mother to relay his experience and drew what he had seen in a notebook. However, some other people simply describe the wendigo as a skeleton-like figure with ash-toned skin. Basically, the word wendigo can also function as a symbol for gluttony and the image of excess. Lewis has traveled around the world investigating claims of the paranormal for more than 20 years. A crawler is a Real flesh and blood creature who is entirely human looking in form albeit alot skinnier and lankier. Devils Lake Monster Baraboo Different versions of the wendigo legend say different things about his speed and agility. Nothing. Unexplained Encounters: 9 NEW Real Skinwalker and Wendigo Sightings This creepy creature is seen almost EVERY day in America! During the 1800s through to the 1920s, there was an influx in Wendigo sightings around Kenorain, Ontario, Canada, and Rosesu, Northern . There, lumberman Eugene Shepard wrote in the local newspaper, The New North, that he had personally captured a hodag and he drew an illustration of a bull-horned carnivore, with thick, curving spikes down its back. The legends of the Wendigo are associated with the times of harsh weather conditions in the cold seasons when isolation from heavy snowfall is most common. i have also lived in wisconson half my life and i only know the hodag, Your email address will not be published. Countries have acknowledged UFOs for years, he said. 6. Since then I havent spotted it, but I hear it. And underneath that terrifying, flesh-eating demon, there might still be a human man who was once just a hungry hunter. Join MU Plus+ and get exclusive shows and extensions & much more! Once he has infiltrated their minds, he can turn them into wendigos as well, instilling upon them a similar lust for human flesh. They are said to possess powers such as mimicking voices, superhuman strength, mind control, weather manipulation, the generation of darkness, and the ability to create confusion and fear, as well as others. My daughter and I saw an unexplained creature on a back road near Wisconsin Dells. With its bones pushing out over its skin, its complexion the ash gray of death, and its eyes pushed back deep into the sockets, the Wendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the grave. The video game recreates the abilities of the Wendigo by making it extremely fast and an excellent climber with antlers and a body made up of muscle tendons. Wendigos are considered to be some of the most despicable monsters in the Great Lakes. He went to grab his flashlight but by the time we went to the door to look it was gone. Most recently in 2019, mysterious howls in the Canadian wilderness led some to question whether they were caused by the infamous man-beast. Famous American author Stephen King is known for his horror and supernatural stories. Wendigo Skinwalkers and Man Wolves - Fossil Hunters The Chippewa, Algonquian peoples, and Cree tribes are often associated with the legend as these tribes lived in the areas where Wendigo sightings have been reported, with stories of the Wendigo being passed down for generations. Susan Lampert Smith In the beginning of the game, the player is stranded in the darkness of a North American forest and requires strategic planning to outwit the Wendigo. Tonight my boyfriend let our dog out to use the bathroom and shes usually very alert and will go after anything, but tonight she looked in the direction and then kept going on about her buisness which again is very abnormal for her. Both traditional and modern descriptions indicate that the Wendigo also has glowing eyes, yellow fangs, and a long tongue. In 1878, a man named Swift Runner was known to suffer from Wendigo psychosis in the worst possible way. What town or city in Wisconsin did this occur? a 132-million-year-old Loch Ness Monster skeleton was found. He finally got out that he was outside smoking and heard loud dragging and rustling sounds coming from the wooded pond area. Perhaps one of the most unique and famous beasts on this list is the Rhinelander Hodag. Felt like it was coming up so I pulled harder a bit and the line snapped. The case of Wendigo psychosis spreading among the Algonquin peoples and the missionary travelers among them is a famously recorded example of appearances of Wendigos in the world. The Wendigo is the antagonist of the story and stalks Trish throughout the novel. Individuals who feared that they were becoming Wendigo would often turn to traditional native healers in an attempt to be saved. The lake winnebago water monster. Many people in the regions where the Wendigo legends were most popular still believe that Wendigos roam the dark forests, waiting to prey on their next . he said elders would go there to reflect on the lessons of their ancestors. Ive lived in a without-a-doubt haunted house, frequently go on after-hours explorations of known haunted places, and have seen and experienced many paranormal events. Vampire and werewolf of Mineral Point, Wisconsin is the author of 16 published books on strange creatures and phenomena. In recent years numerous wendigo sightings have been reported in Wisconsin. However, in the case of the Native American communities, most of the stress was due to a dwindling amount of resources, not to mention the extermination of food in the area. Required fields are marked *. I noticed a little later that she was acting as if something was threatening her, so I looked up, and saw it. The condition often develops in the harsh winters of the north when heavy snowfalls isolate individuals for long periods of time. It wasnt until about a month ago that I was watching a special on supernatural encounters that I heard about Wendigos. Ryan kept asking if I heard that and I put my finger to my lips trying to keep him from talking. Wisconsin Windigo If you knew him, he doesnt really get uneasy about that stuff. I deliver pizzas and never feel it then but once a regular customer ordered and walking to my car I got a creepy feeling and yes ran to my car slammed the door. Konrad, who studied physics at UW-Oshkosh and spent time in the Air Force Auxiliary and working for a commercial airline, said he had never seen anything like it and couldnt think of a single known airplane or satellite that could move like that. Another rough translation of wendigo is the evil spirit that devours mankind. This translation is related to yet another version of the wendigo that has the power to curse humans by possessing them. The evil being is associated with winter and starvation, and appears to feast on humans. For being an insatiable predator, the wendigo is definitely not the largest or most muscular beast out there. Subscribe Today! Originating within the myths and lore of various Algonquin-speaking tribes of Nova Scotia, the East Coast of Canada, and Great Lakes Region of Canada and in Wisconsin, United States, including such tribes as the Ojibwe, the Saulteaux, the Cree, the Naskapi, and the Innu, the monstrous entity called the Wendigo has long been feared. According to Animal Planet, Swift Runner claimed to be possessed by a windigo spirit at the time of the murders. The New York Times and CNN reported a government report on "UFOs" does not provide evidence of aliens, but also doesn't rule the possibility out. He's written articles for MU and Daily Grail and has been a guest on Coast to Coast AM and Binnal of America. He described it as the sound it would make if someone were dragging a heavy animal or body through rough brush/woods, and he had a feeling of dread and heaviness, like he couldnt look away and was being honed in on by something. I didnt answer and was trying to focus hard on each individual sound. Interestingly enough, there are even a couple of lakes today named after the beast, including a Lake Windigo in Minnesota and a Windigo Lake in Wisconsin.