"Once I landed, the food scene was smaller, and there was more a history of women chefs here. She moved there the same year I did, 2003, although I didn't know it at the time. OUR PUBLICATIONSCannabis ChronicleEast BayGilroy DispatchGood Times Santa CruzHollister Free LanceKing City RustlerMarin Pacific SunMetro Silicon ValleyMorgan Hill TimesNorth Bay BohemianPress BannerSalinas Valley TribuneSouth ValleyWatsonville Pajaronian, ADVERTISINGAdvertiseLegal NoticesObituariesSponsored ContentWriting An ObituarySubmit an Obituary, COMPANY INFOJob OpportunitiesPrivacy Policy. "I don't know anyone else who is doing what Tanya does," said Lisa Rogovin, owner of Edible Excursions, which leads culinary tours in San Francisco, Berkeley and Oakland. Events; People; . The podcasts guests include Gina Torres, Danny Meyer, Alice Waters, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Samin Nosrat, Questlove, just to mention but a few. [1], Her barbecue restaurant, B-Side BBQ, was open from 2011 to 2015. Arrange the ribs in a 15- by 10-inch roasting pan. This address also has Kimberly L Foreman and Tanya D Holland connected to it. Ever since the French-trained former Food Network chef opened Brown Sugar Kitchen six years ago in a hardscrabble neighborhood of peeling Victorians and abandoned brick factories, diners have been lining up, 1,800 each week, often waiting 90 minutes for her signature organic buttermilk-fried chicken and cornmeal waffles. Oakland chef Tanya Holland ready for the big stage. As he drove her to the Oakland hills to search out homes where her relatives had lived, they decided to get a bite, and she suggested barbecue. Grab it with a paper towel and pull it toward the other end of the slab to remove it. Horoscope for Saturday, 3/04/23 by Christopher Renstrom, West I-80 closed near Tahoe due to snow and 'multiple spinouts', Snowboarder dies at Tahoe ski resort following historic blizzard, Horoscope for Friday, 3/03/23 by Christopher Renstrom, Even Salesforces tower HQ isnt safe from office cuts, Wife of Jeffrey Vandergrift issues somber update, Inside Harry and Meghans favorite In-N-Out, Oakland ransomware attackers leak 'confidential' data, Mochi muffin bakery closes SF cafe after just 4 months, Contemporary Korean restaurant in SF shutters after 6 years, In search of vegan food, I found a world-class Mendocino inn, Your Privacy Choices (Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads), 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices, 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cascabel or ancho chile powder, -- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. "But her mother is from Louisiana and she is an excellent cook. [10] After 10 years in West Oakland, Brown Sugar Kitchen relocated to Downtown Oakland in 2019, before closing in 2022 during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ten years after Hollandand Imoved to West Oakland, the food landscape is unrecognizable. Details. "They cooked world cuisine and regional American food.". "Her drive is one of those natural gifts you are born with; it always impressed me because I've always thought of myself as lazy, an industrial engineer whose job is to come up with easier ways of doing things," says her father, Hollis, 70. Time magazine's November cover story, "The 13 Gods of Food," featured not one female chef, sparking a national discussion about why women aren't promoted in professional kitchens as quickly as their male counterparts. Writer Novella Carpenter describes the tradition-minded chef and her gorgeous bourbon-glazed bird. Recently, though, West Oakland has been showing signs of a revival, in part because Brown Sugar Kitchen draws more than 1,800 customers a week. For the Habanero Vinegar: Puree the chile and vinegar in a food processor or blender until smooth. Tanya is a 56-year-old American professional chef, cookbook author, podcast host, and restaurateur, who was born on July 14, 1965, in Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America. Overall, B-Side BBQ wasnt one of those rare, transformative smoked meat experiences Ive had at Double D BBQ in Grand Lake or Hill Country in Manhattan. E-mail: mmay@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @meredithmaysf . To cook ribs using a gas grill: Preheat the grill with all the burners on high. Holland holds a Bachelor of Arts in Russian Language and Literature from the University of Virginia, as well as a Grande Diplme from La Varenne Ecole de Cuisine in Burgundy, France. I rented a duplex next to an abandoned lot and rode my bicycle around in search of something to eat. Celebrated chef-owner Tanya Holland and partner Phil Surkis are proud to commemorate the fifth anniversary of West Oakland culinary landmark Brown Sugar Kitchen on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, January 15, 2013. Chef Tanya Holland shows Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland, Calif., on Wednesday, February 29, 2014. Currently, she is a frequent contributing writer and chef to the James Beard Foundation. In 2020 she joined the James Beard Foundation Board of Trustees, is the Chair of James Beard Foundation Awards Committee (2021present) and is a frequent writer and chef at the James Beard Foundation. [9] Holland has lived in Oakland, California since 2003. As I finish the best pork hash I've ever had, I feel comfortedlike I've finally found my home. Add coals as needed to maintain medium heat. Tanya Holland recipes on Page H6 Holland, Inc. Brown Sugar Kitchen: 2534 Mandela Parkway (near 26th Street), Oakland; (510) 839-7685. www.brownsugarkitchen.com. This year, she created a spectacular meal that brings together her French training, Creole background and California influences. She envisions it in a place like the San Francisco Ferry Building. Season Two of Tanyas Table features special guests Ayesha Curry, Danny Glover, Bonnie Raitt, Phil Rosenthal, Lars Ulrich, Lizz Wright, Ericka Huggins, Jonny Moseley, and others. The smoked barbecue chicken at B-Side, juicy and lush and expansive with flavor, may not gain this level of cult following, but its a contender. Roasted Beet Soup Recipe At heart, that's what I am, an entrepreneur.". [22] Season Two of Tanyas Tableran from December 2020 through March 2021 and featured special guests Ayesha Curry, Danny Glover, Bonnie Raitt, Phil Rosenthal, Lars Ulrich, Lizz Wright, Ericka Huggins, Jonny Moseley, and others. THE WELCOME TABLE Chef Tanya Holland hosts a soulful seder. She is married to writer/performer Phil Surkis who is co-owner and business partner in their restaurants and their event space, B-Side Barn. "I read business books by successful entrepreneurs more than cookbooks. If made ahead, refrigerate in an airtight container up to 8 hours. [2] Her father attended Western New England College. Customers feel so passionate about the dish that they regularly pay tribute with love letters left on their tables. Add the green beans and toss until evenly coated. She is as well an in-demand public speaker. 2023 Getty Images. Holland graduated from Pittsford-Mendon High School in 1983. Everything depends on making the grits early in the morning and making the rest la minute and then paying close attention. The bar is inventive as well, with drinks such as the Bronze Buckeroo made from Bulleit Rye, velvet falernum, angostura bitters, lime and ginger beer. The baked spicy wings were also on point, with the sizzling skin bearing a crisp, dark-and-tan mottle. Enter Tanya Holland, well-armed with a smoker, a smile, and a surplus of true grit. What happened? ", West Oakland hadn't always been so down and out. She is known as an expert of soul food. She and partner Phil Surkis have just opened a new eatery, B-Side BBQ, a mile away from Brown Sugar. She has written for Wine Enthusiast[20] and The Huffington Post.[21]. She worked for a dozen New York kitchens and catering companies, including Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill, and trained at Peter Kump's New York Cooking School (now known as the Institute of Culinary Education), then La Varenne in Burgundy, France, where she studied with cheesemakers, bakers and fishmongers and learned how to make traditional sauces and cook seasonally. "It reminded me of New York in the 1980s, when you didn't know anyone who hadn't been mugged," says Holland, 46, who moved here in 2005 with her husband, Phil Surkis. Apple Bundt Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze Recipe Holland has authored 2 cookbooks, "New Soul Cooking" and "Brown Sugar Kitchen". Shrimp Creole Stuffed Cornmeal Crepes Recipe We re beyond thrilled to have Celeste create her irresistible sweet and savory magicin that space.. Among the regulars at Brown Sugar Kitchen are the novelist couple Michael Chabon and Ayelet Waldman. The chef is so devoted to the holiday that when she was a homesick 26-year-old student at France's prestigious La Varenne cooking school, she invited her classmates to a Thanksgiving dinner. "There was a store in Paris that sold some American grocery items," she says, "but I couldn't find yams or cornmeal." Acclaimed for her inventive take on modern soul food, as well as comfort classics, Tanya Holland is the Executive Chef/Owner of the internationally renowned and beloved Brown Sugar Kitchen restaurant, in Oakland, California. This recipe is adapted from Tanya Holland's upcoming book, "Brown Sugar Kitchen: Recipes and Stories from Everyone's Favorite Soul Food Restaurant" (Chronicle Books, September 2014). She has covered the Olympic Games, investigated sex trafficking between Korea and San Francisco's massage parlors, and in Nepal. Sauteed Green Beans Recipe You have entered an incorrect email address! "Doesn't Queen Latifah or Tyra Banks need a chef friend?" Holland holds a Bachelor of Arts in Russian Language and Literature from the University of Virginia, as well as a Grande Diplme from La Varenne Ecole de Cuisine in Burgundy, France. Sign up with your email address to stay in touch! She attended the University of Virginia, where she graduated in 1987 with a BA degree in Russian Language and Literature. Entertainment will continue at the B-Side Barn next door, she added. Tanya Holland (born July 14, 1965) is an American celebrity chef, restaurateur, podcast host, writer, and cookbook author. If made ahead, refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.). Skip to Nav; Skip to Main; Skip to Footer; Created with Sketch. "The show lasted 2 1/2 seasons, but I never found a way to leverage it," Holland says. Oops. Tanya stands at a height of 5 ft 4 in ( Approx 1.6m). Holland is an alumna of Bravo TV's Top Chef, where she competed on the 15th season. The City of Oakland declared June 5th, 2012 as Tanya Holland Day for her "Significant Role in Creating Community and Establishing Oakland as a Culinary Center". Holland is a regular guest chef on NBCs Today Show and CBSs The Talk. In 2020, she released her debut Tanya's Table Podcast produced by MuddHouse Media. "We had a good run lasting over three years . Recopila, organiza y comenta tus archivos. For her seder, Holland wanted that same harmony of people and flavors. "There were many immigrant families there, and they informed us on how they ate," Holland says. She is an American professional chef, cookbook author, podcast host, and restaurateur who has an estimated net worth of $7 million. For the Jerk Marinade: Combine all the ingredients; cover and set aside until ready to use. It remains to be seen if her target audience will venture to B-Side after dark (Brown Sugar is daytime only) but its a studied risk. Every dinner had a themed menu - Hawaiian, Greek, Mexican, Chinese. ". Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images Phil and I want to thank all of you for your support and love of our little barbecue joint., This spring, the space at 3303 San Pablo Ave. will become the B-Side Baking Co., in partnership with Hollands baker at Brown Sugar Kitchen, Celeste Scott. prints Downloads. [3][4] When Holland was eight years old, her parents founded a gourmet cooking and eating club that consisted of six couples from different ethnic and professional backgrounds. To finish: When the ribs are done, they will be well browned and the meat will have shrunk back from the ends of the bones. If made ahead, refrigerate in an airtight container up to 3 days. But it was really, really good. I want to be that mentor that I never had," Holland says. With her husband Phil Surkis, Holland repurposed the old Yardie Jerk space on San Pablo Avenue late last . She spent two summers cooking on Marthas Vineyard Island at The Oyster Bar and LEtoile, interrupted by a winter at Hamersley's Bistro in Boston. There's a lot of history in the community so it's exciting to read that someone is documenting it. "It is a boys' club out there, yet there are some wonderful female chefs. At Brown Sugar Kitchen, the restaurant that inspired other chefs to take a chance on the neighborhood, I'm warmly greeted by a hostess who lives nearby. Like Brown Sugar, B-Side BBQ fills a specific culinary dearth, in a neighborhood that has had very few dining options at all. Holland has served as the president of the prestigious Les Dames dEscoffier San Francisco chapter.. Lived here in 2009. Chef Tanya Holland makes grits at Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland, Calif., before opening on Sunday, February 2, 2014. Chef Tanya Holland talks about her career at Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland, Calif., on Wednesday, February 29, 2014. "We're a mom-and-pop shop that's about to pop," says her husband, Phil Surkis. She began her restaurant career in New York City as an assistant manager at Cornelia Street Caf, Caf Rakel, and Nosmo King restaurants. When Holland was eight years old, her parents founded a gourmet cooking and eating club that consisted of six couples from different ethnic and professional backgrounds. "James Beard's awards chair, Tanya Holland, once had three Bay Area restaurants. Holland returned to Mesa Grill in 1994 to work as a line cook. Tanya is a 56-year-old American professional chef, cookbook author, podcast host, and restaurateur, who was born on July 14, 1965, in Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America. The couple have single-handedly brought new life to an economically downtrodden area of Oakland. Looking to taste Tanya's food at Brown Sugar Kitchen? Novella Carpenter is the author of Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer. Her first book, New Soul Cooking, was published by Stuart, Tabori & Chang in 2003. She stays optimistic by meditating on Sundays at 6 a.m., when she gets to Brown Sugar Kitchen to prepare the batters in her own ritual, and other times by pounding it out at the boxing gym. Dodging potholes and broken glass, all I found was fast food and three Korean restaurants. Looking to taste Tanya's Food at Brown Sugar Kitchen? Ashley Madison ReviewsOur Personal Take Ashley Madison ReviewsOur Personal Take on AshleyMadison.Com (2023). Who says the Bay Area is short on barbecue? By Margo True After the TV show ended, California started to seem much more appealing than jumping back into the competitive New York restaurant world. Buttermilk Fried Chicken Customer Charles Rogers (left) talks with chef Tanya Holland (middle)at Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland, Calif., on Wednesday, February 29, 2014. "I would love to have restaurants worldwide. Tanya Holland is an American professional chef, cookbook author, podcast host, and restaurateur, who owns Brown Sugar Kitchen based in Oakland, CA. The latter was eliminated in a tense episode of the show after she refused to address those claims. Together, Phil and Tanya have single-handedly brought new life to an economically downtrodden area of Oakland. Chef Tanya Holland unlocks the metals gates to doors and windows outisde of Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland, Calif., before doing prep on Sunday, February 2, 2014. "This was before social media.". They may not be as loud, nor have as many flashy tattoos, but they are educated, experienced and wonderful teachers," says her agent, Kristen Green. By now youve probably heard that Holland and Surkis commissioned a local artist to superimpose their pictures into old black-and-white frontier photos on the walls. Holland has no barbecue-specific stints on her rsum, and for all her culinary globetrotting, she has never been in smoking distance of Kansas City, Memphis, or the hill country of Texas. From left to right: Aisha Tyler, Tanya Holland, Julie Chen, It consisted of six couples from different ethnic and professional backgrounds who gathered to share experiences and meals ranging from Southern Cuisine, Italian, Pennsylvanian Dutch, Indian, Jewish, Mexican, and French. Tanya Holland on The Better Show with JD Roberto. Looking to taste Tanya's food at Brown Sugar Kitchen? Holland says. A Belle Epoque for African-American Cooking. Tanya Holland (born July 14, 1965) is an American celebrity chef, restaurateur, podcast host, writer, and cookbook author. B-Side BBQ: 3303 San Pablo. "The vision I have for myself is being a leader in this industry, an expert on the type of cuisine I do," she says. Tanya Holland's Thanksgiving menu embraces the classics. John Kernick. Holland leads a critically-acclaimed podcast Tanyas Table produced by MuddHouse Media, interviewing many celebrity guests in Season One such asQuestlove, Samin Nosrat, Alice Waters, Danny Meyer, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Bassem Youssef, and Carla Hall. Elena T Chan. The briskets deep beef flavor was boosted but not overpowered by a light sugar-and-spice rub, and Holland brightly excused herself from the sauce/no-sauce debate with a small dish of barbecue sauce on the side: your choice. The award was presented during the California Travel Summit on March 20, 2013 in, This page was last edited on 23 February 2023, at 22:15. Tanya is an American professional chef, cookbook author, podcast host, and restaurateur, who owns Brown Sugar Kitchen based in Oakland, CA. I feel my concept of seasonal soul food can translate to a lot of cultures; African American culture has gone worldwide with hip-hop, but it hasn't been exploited gastronomically.". So last year, she and Surkis invited friendsAfrican American, Jewish, or bothto their house in Oakland. Like me, Holland quickly realized that she'd have to get in her car just to find a decent cup of coffee. She met area food editors and bloggers, was welcomed at Yountville's iconic Domaine Chandon winery, and quickly got an agent. She received positive reviews as the Executive Chef of The Delux Caf in Boston and The Victory Kitchen in Brooklyn. Holland has served as the president of the prestigious Les Dames dEscoffier San Francisco chapter.. WT: Seder page PF: O1 ZO: AZ 90. For the Pineapple Glaze: Combine the pineapple juice and brown sugar in a small saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat and cook until thick and reduced by about one-third, about 15 minutes. The menu reflected the heritages around the table: It was based on seder classics like matzo-ball soup, but infused with the flavors of the African American South and North Africa. Chef Tanya Holland fills breakfast orders at Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland, Calif., on Sunday, February 2, 2014. At Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland, Tanya Hollands Creole shrimp and grits seems to be infused with concentric layers of flavor. While in France, she trained with Michel Sarran at Le Mas Du Langoustier on the Island of Porquerolles and with Jean-Michel Bouvier at Restaurant LEssential in Chambry. Agiliza tu flujo de trabajo con nuestro sistema de gestin de archivos digitales de primera clase. ", "Food Secrets of Chef/Author Tanya Holland", "The Restaurant That's Changing the Face of Gritty West Oakland", "In the Bay Area, Tanya Holland is exactly who she was always meant to be", "Most Innovative Menu A Celebrity Chef's Culinary Lab", "Brown Sugar Kitchen Does Down-Home Cooking Right", "More breweries to open; B-Side BBQ closes", "Brown Sugar Kitchen's Ferry Building Outpost Will Close After Less Than a Year", "Chef Tanya Holland Parts Ways With Oakland Museum's Town Fare Just Weeks After Closing Brown Sugar Kitchen", "Innovative soul food restaurant Brown Sugar Kitchen closes after nearly 15 years", "Renowned soul food restaurant Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland has gone out of business", "Legendary Oakland soul food restaurant closes after 14 years", "Best BBQ: Pit Masters and Grill Geniuses", "Celebrity Chef Tanya Holland's New Podcast Is the Show We Need Now More than Ever", "Chef Tanya Holland is ready to become the next household name in food", "California Travel Association to Honor Industry's Best at 31st Annual Summit March 1820, 2013", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Tanya_Holland&oldid=1141204850, 21st-century American non-fiction writers, 21st-century African-American women writers, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Michelin Recommended, Michelin Guide (2012), Best Soul Food, Oakland Magazine (2009 and 2010), Best Southern/Soul Food, East Bay Express (2009 and 2010), "Woman Entrepreneur of the Year"' by Women's Initiative (2013), "2013 Restaurateur/Chef of the Year: recognizing an individual chef or restaurant that has created a dining establishment and experience that effectively marries the culinary arts with the tourism industry." The cornbread was outstanding moist and spongy with a pat of honey butter cascading over the edges. Holland was named "2013 Restaurateur/Chef of the Year" by the California Travel Association during the California Travel Summit in March 2013 in San Diego. Lightly oil the grill grates. Later, Tanya went on to work as a catering office manager and also as an assistant sommelier for a wine importer. She is known as an expert of soul food. A few items would have fared better with a shorter cook. Meet Tanya and Phil Surkis on Friday at 7pm Alameda ! Her previous roles at the Mercury News include Lowell Thomas award-winning editor of the Travel section, Alameda County bureau chief and Getting Ahead editor. Her pace is warp speed, and for as much as she takes on, she's always thinking about the next thing. Roast, tossing occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Sign up with your email address to stay in touch! And if they need any . "Tanya's turkey was the most beautiful I've ever seen, and it tasted amazing," Waldman says. Creole Meatloaf Recipe Her Southern-born parents started a cooking club. The fabulous Tanya Holland - Brown Sugar Kitchen launch book signings. Is Tanya Holland Married She is married to her husband called Phil Surkis. You also get bright little dishes of pickled cauliflower, carrots, radish, jalapeo, and onion, a perfect palate-cleanser between the meat. Chef Tanya Holland of Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland, Calif., shares some tasty end-of-summer recipes like Roasted Summer Squash Egg Tart and Vegetarian "Dirty" Rice. Holland is one of a handful of chefs who, according to the New York Times, represents a new generation of black chefs and cookbook authors reinventing, reinterpreting and reinvigorating whats thought of as African American food.. Holland is a member of the prestigious Chefs Council for The Center For Culinary Development in San Francisco. Season with salt and black pepper. Place the ribs, meat side up, on the grate, turn off the burner directly under the ribs, and reduce the other burners to medium heat. During the World Wars, the area was a port-and-train hub, a boom town with a jazz scene, plenty of bars and restaurants and a diverse population of upwardly mobile African-American, Irish, Polish, Scandinavian, Chinese and Mexican families. For Holland, tempering her ambition with the appropriate amount of patience is a balancing act. [8], In 2002, she returned to the front of the house as Creative Director at Le Thtre in Berkeley, California. Get premium, high resolution news photos at Getty Images Los Boards son el mejor lugar para guardar imgenes y clips de vdeo. She is married to her husband called Phil Surkis. [11][12] She had started the plans to open a San Francisco Ferry Building location of Brown Sugar Kitchen in 2017, after much planning the restaurant was opened from 2020 to 2021. "I want to be a brand. The classic combination was allegedly created for jazz musicians who got off work so late, they couldn't decide between breakfast and dinner. Still, shes a dab hand in the kitchen, and a quick study. Within the space of 18 months, it seems like Tanya Holland, the first chef to create a destination restaurant in oft-forgotten West Oakland, is everywhere, reinventing soul food. No, but B-Side BBQ is pretty darn good. Soulful Cornmeal Crepes with Chocolate-Hazelnut Spread Recipe The Dark and Stormy St. Louis ribs had a fantastic flavor profile, a combo of stout beer and fresh ginger, but again were less tender than youd hope for. In 2020, Holland was the host of the OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network TV show "Tanya's Kitchen Table." An online dating site brought Holland and Surkis together. Sign up with your email address to receive news and updates about Tanya's latest. In 1971, her parents started the Gourmet Club, a monthly potluck party that ran for nearly two decades, with six neighborhood couples, three black and three white. She competed in the 15th season of Top Chef on Bravo. Copyright Weeklys All rights reserved. Collard-Wrapped Salmon with Creole Mustard Sauce "I love Thanksgiving," Tanya Holland says. View Philip Surkis's record in Emeryville, CA including current phone number, address, relatives, background check report, and property record with Whitepages. Brown Sugar Kitchen chef Tanya Holland works out at King's Boxing Gym in Oakland. Instructions: Preheat the oven to 450 and place a rack to the top position. Chef Tanya Holland gets baked chicken from her oven at Brown Sugar Kitchen in Oakland, Calif., on Sunday, February 2, 2014. Meredith May is a feature writer at The San Francisco Chronicle, where she started in 1999. The lightly spiced baby backs were spare on the meat, and gave a little too much resistance to extraction from the bone. He paired it with sparkling ros and left nothing but bones on his plate. Age 36 (415) 336-0167. This year, Chabon and Waldman invited Holland to cook Thanksgiving at their Craftsman house near the foot of the Oakland Hills. "I want to create an empire," she says, taking a break from the waffle irons. Her second cookbook, "Brown Sugar Kitchen: Recipes and Stories From Everyone's Favorite Soul Food Restaurant," comes out in the fall, a lush history of her award-winning eatery and its regulars, complete with a foreword by local literary giant Michael Chabon. Please enter a valid email and try again. Acclaimed for her inventive take on modern soul food, as well as comfort classics, Tanya Holland is the Executive Chef/Owner of the internationally renowned and beloved Brown Sugar Kitchen restaurant, in Oakland, California. For her bronzed, gorgeously lacquered turkey, she chose a free-range bird from a local farmer and brined it overnight, then glazed it with bourbon and brown sugar, a nod to the importance of sugar plantations in African- and Caribbean-American history.