Luckily Rob H from the AV Rant Podcast and I were chatting on Twitter, and we had both heard about Sofabaton dropping a Kickstarter to fund a new hub-based remote. The pronounced scroll wheel is easy to find, so the lack of an accelerometer to activate the backlight is not a deal-breaker. The design of the Sofabaton X1 remote is relatively simple. How To Connect Xfinity Remote To FirestickTo factory reset the remote Theyre just designed to hold a lot of buttons to control your different devices (usually a total of four to six devices). With the SofaBaton U1, you have to program all these things yourself, so the URC7880 is actually a little easier to set up in that respect. If you want to hang your flat-panel TV on the wall, we recommend the Sanus VMPL50A-B1 or Sanus VLF728-B2, depending on how much motion you need in your mount. Oh wow - I hadn't heard about this yet. Sounds promising. If the user is someone who just wants to choose one Device at a time to control, theyd be better off with Sofabatons other, cheaper remote, the U1. But the U1 has some drawbacks. Read more about Disclaimer. Learn more. You would THINK that would send a command, similar to Harmonys Help button. Decade long AV technician here. You can use the scroll wheel or any other button to wake it up. CEC: The final nail in the coffin of the universal remote . Even though we have more devices than ever, universal remotes are becoming less and less common. Even used models can cost up to or more than $400. Member. Step1: Search or select your device in the list. The Sofabaon X1 promised a hub-based remote that supported IR, wi-fi, and Bluetooth, all a must in todays home theater. After you enter your WiFi password and then pair your remote, you can begin to program devices. Using a PC and a USB cable to programme it is a lot less convenient than using the SofaBaton U1 companion app for iOS or Android. Say "GOODBYE" to the intricacies of remote control thoroughly. Make sure you add a set to your shopping cart. SofaBaton is reportedly working on a new remote that will support more than one Bluetooth device, but we dont have any further details yet. SofaBaton X1 remote is universally compatible with virtually all brands of audi and video equipment. Its rare to find a universal remote that has built-in voice control. Lots of potential, quite nice to use once you actually have it fully set up, but the setup process is not for anybody who is impatient! Sofabaton has kept its word and is working with users to fix issues as discovered. Secondly (according to the manual), it will wake the remote and activate the backlight. Thats not a surprising omission for something in this price range. While we strive to provide accurate and up-to-date information, we cannot guarantee the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability of any information. With that said, I hope they succeed. Devices can be set up by searching online IR code database or directly learning from original physical remotes. Most remotes I have dealt with require the person programming it to create a macro for each button to toggle or alternate between the two codes with each button press. Some remote manufactuers with very well maintained code databases already have the toggle commands built in when you select those specific models of cable boxes. So far this not working out at all. You can read more about it here. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Maybe an X2 will have real numbers. Or both. The most important buttons (such as volume, pause, and play) should be easily accessible. They are still advertising it. You can create your own activity button that does what a Watch TV button would dolike turn on all the necessary devices, switch to the correct inputs on your TV and receiver, and perhaps launch a menu. The best universal remotes, Trying to control your TV, cable box, soundbar, game consoles, and everything else in your living room with a bunch of different remotes can be very frustrating. I refuse to feed scalpers anything, so I decided to start searching for a new solution just in case my beloved Harmony chose to kick the bucket or Harmony (doubtful) suddenly cut support for the database. Press and hold the button for at least 3s, Received a command fromApp or X1 -Remote. In Activities mode, Macros can be customized as flexible as you like. For instance, if you want to control your AV receivers volume and mute functions while watching your Apple TV (without having to jump back and forth between devices), you have to manually reassign the volume buttons. I had been having trouble getting the older remote to consistently operate my TV and Apple TV. However, I am still on one battery bar after six weeks. When Logitech discontinued Harmony universal remotes, it killed the last of the big-name brandsas well as all of our former picks in this guideand left us pondering how to proceed. Hi noob to this really confused if I give the model number of tv shouldnt the program already assign all buttons without all the intervention of asking what each button should do? Press J to jump to the feed. And there are no dedicated activity buttons for grouping different devices together to perform tasks like Watch TV or Watch a Movie. You can still create activities and assign them to whatever buttons you choose, but you have to figure out all the programming yourselfand we fear the apps learning curve may be high for someone who has never programmed a universal remote. UPDATE: Here are my thoughts on the remote as of April 2022 We liked that the X1s edges were smooth and rounded, and that its buttons had just the right amount of resistance and feedback when pressed. Heard about this a few months ago, excited to see it coming as the remote only version my mom loves! One For All says you can set up this remote using an app, but thats misleading. The hub has a solid feel and build quality as well. Ive been using this for a few months and it is still a love-hate relationship. It seems, Sofabaton is neither responding here any more, nor did we see any improvement lately. Step3: Verify that all devices are powered on. Both have six primary buttons for power, mute, volume up/down, and channel up/down, but the Flipper adds a number pad so you can directly punch in a desired channel. This improves the user experience by bringing together services that were previously disconnected. I'm potentially interested with the 50% discount, but I really hated the U1, so I'm wary. The Sofabaton X1 is NOT the heir apparent to the Harmony throne. Youd THINK, simple! In addition to https://www.yio-remote.com/ ($$$) coming to Kickstarter, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sofabaton/sofabaton-x1 is live now. The Harmony Companion was one of the more affordable remotes to support Wi-Fi, and it cost $150 or more. Range is fantastic and set up with the app is pretty easy once you understand the concept of the hub based remote. Speaking of macros, the process of creating them, though logistically simple in the app, will be more mentally taxing than some people will tolerate. Harmony was not perfect when they started. However, the app will never be as fast as a real remote, so keep that in mind. We tested two popular large-button remotes: the Flipper and the EasyMote. You can program this remote using a convenient mobile app that makes adding, removing, and changing devices easy. Being able to see the actual model names is more intuitive than generic device buttons labeled TV, STB, or AUD. Only up and coming one I've seen is the aforementioned Sofabuton brand with mixed reviews. Once you sync the X1 remote with the hub, you can create activities, bundling different devices /activities gives sequences of orders you can program . The remote communicates with the app via Bluetooth, so the first step in the setup process is to pair the two. Looks like they're aiming for streaming device remote replacement not full AV rack in a closet control. Im in setup mode but not liking flow of setting up. Connects up to 40 devices in your home including TV, DVD, Blu-Ray, TV & cable boxes, gaming consoles, Apple TV, Roku and more. Eliminate clutter and enjoy convenient control. Until then, maybe find a used Harmony and wait for Version 2.0! This model can control a lot more devices (up to 40) and adds a wireless hub to control AV and smart home equipment via W-Fi. In years past, if you wanted an advanced universal remote that you could program yourself (as opposed to models that are sold exclusively through dealers, like Crestron and Control4, that program them for you), you had many choicesfrom brands like Harmony, Sony, Pronto, URC, and UEI. Scroll to the bottom for my one-month update. You can do that with the Sofabaton, but it takes a few more steps, and as you said, its not as simple. If the remote still executes the command, then its using Bluetooth or radio frequency, not IR.) It has an intuitive button layout that includes most of the control options youll need, and the OLED screen makes it easy to switch between the different AV devices you want to control. The Logitech Harmony 665 is a remote that can control more than one device. It has a lot of buttons that can be programmed to control one or more devices with the push of a button. Your email address will not be published. As far as the skipping goes, remotes like these often have an option for how many times the command is repeated per button press. The newly released SofaBaton X1 and older U1 would be great to have an integration for. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. The X1 is not out till Nov or Dec '21. I No Longer Need The Perfect Remote Control - HomeTechHacker At the top of the remote theres a simple OLED screen that shows the model names of the devices youve added, with a scroll wheel to quickly select the device you want to control. SofaBaton claims its code database includes 350,000-plus devices and 6,000 brands. Super easy control - scroll click to switch the different IR & Blu & Wifi devices. This may take a bit of time. My Harmony Elite died and replacments are not available so I took a shot with the Sofabaton. I would imagine hone devices would include lighting and blinds etc Incromulent 1 yr. ago That would be great. And you can reassign buttons to perform different tasks, as well as learn IR codes from your existing remotes. I have the SofaBaton X1 and I am trying to add a Bluetooth remote and I am having a problem with the directions, I just cannot figure them out. If you are a Harmony power user you will be right at home. SofaBaton U1 Universal Remote Control Good features and performance for the price The U1 can control up to 15 AV devices and supports Bluetooth control. The inclusion of Activity buttons, like Watch TV or Play video games (as described. That may not be good enough for those looking for a plug-and-play solutionyet. A 2.4 GHz WiFi network is required for setup (there is no 5 GHz support). The remote feels solidly made, and the fit and finish are superb. However, the instructions do not speak to the proper placement of the hub for correct use or how to connect and place IR blasters. And then you can start adding your devices; this is a straightforward process in which you can choose from a list of preloaded devices (including Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV, Nvidia, DirecTV, and Xfinity) or enter the manufacturer and device name. But do I recommend it right now? Can I use my smartphone as a remote control? We recommend that readers conduct their own research and seek professional advice before making any decisions based on the information provided on this website. Let us know if that works. SofaBaton on the App Store And since the U1 is not locked in to a set of pre-labeled device buttons, it can control multiple models of the same typesay, two media players, two TVs, and two audio systems. Either use the app to ping your remote, or a single click of the pair button will activate the ping mode. Oct 25, 2017 3,980. Best Free Universal File Viewer Software for Windows 11/10, Best Home Security Cameras in 2023 to secure your home, Best Cheap Speakers 2023: 5 recommended affordable speakers, Best C Programming Books 2023: for beginners and professionals, Best Waterproof Speakers 2023: are designed for outdoor use, Best VPNs for Indonesia 2023: encryption of devices Internet traffic, Best Budget Speakers 2023: recommended affordable speakers, Rechargeable, With Touchscreen, With Voice Control. By contrast, a good universal remote should offer the following features: Although the pickings are slim in todays market, we continue to call in new remotes that meet as much of the above criteria as possible. The Sofabaton X1 relies on WiFi and the app for setup and function. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. Logitech discontinued Harmony universal remotes, the now-discontinued (and more expensive) Harmony Companion, Everything You Need to Watch 4K HDR Movies. Sofabaton X1 - The Newly Anticipated Replacement For The Logitech Harmony Hub Has Arrived! Off: Power off all Activities.Return: Return to the previous menu of the XI-Remote display.Wheel: When the X1-Remote screen is locked, click or scroll to light it up.When the screen is lit, scroll up and down to switch menus, as well as click to confirm.Non-global keys:These keys have no default values and need to be defined on the device or while in Activity mode. Sabaton Xi supports using Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant to turn on/off an Activity. I also review budget projectors, portable projectors, and other AV accessories for Wirecutter. But youll be draining your battery during the time youre watching a movie or show. So when youre trying to add a Bluetooth-based source, you have to unpair the remote from the setup app to test the device control, and then re-pair to the app to keep going with setup. When learning, the original remote should be pointed toward the circular icon, at a distance of 3-5 inches and perpendicular to the hub surface. Thank you!! For example, your AVR is Off when it should be On? Take Alexa as an example and perform the following operations:Step1: Open the Amazon Alexa app, and click Skill & Games from the menu bar. The remote itself looks nice and feels good to hold, and it has just the right number of backlit buttons. The U1 lacks backlighting, which, combined with this remotes black-buttons-on-a-black-shell design, makes using it in a dark room somewhat more challenging. In the initial review you said the Logitech required 2 IR blasters while the Sofabaton required none. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvCGN_Bmmf4. So far, hes happy with the remote. And dont expect much help from the SofaBaton literature; the setup guide is poorly written and says nothing about macros. That being said, if my assumption is correct about your service and you have an AT&T cable box, its a quirk of the way some cable boxes are designed. This is one of the best universal remotes you can buy. Yes, there is a free One For All setup app for iOS and Android, and yes, it pairs with the remote via Bluetooth and lets you add your devices by inputting the manufacturer name and model number or testing different codes. Maybe im doing something wrong. We appreciated the bright, green backlighting (which you can turn off) and the wrist rope. After what seemed like an eternity, I finally was able to get my hands on my new Sofabaton X1, set it up and give it a real test to see how it fared against my beloved Harmony Ultimate. on sofabaton X1 Universal Smart Remote Control User Manual, sofabaton U1 All-in-One Universal Remote Control User Guide. Required fields are marked *. If you are one of those people, be prepared to do a lot of Internet searches for guides and walk-throughs. 3. This functionality used to be reserved for high-end, professionally programmed systems. . The Exit doesnt work. Enter the Sofabaton X1, the only hub-based remote on the market that anyone is talking about. Finally, the U1 remote can pair with only one Bluetooth device at a time. Step2: Search for brand sofa action on the skill page. I am assuming it is something to do with the glare from the sun on my glossy speakers and TV. Copyright 1998-2023 AV Gadgets. Tutorial X1 User Guide and FAQ, Continuously Updated Back key cannot be configured on Samsung The Frame 2022, You can press the key to assign Return and Exit on X1,choose the device, click edit---assign key for the X1 remote, then assign the command you like to the physiccal key of the X1. A remote that can juggle at least eight devices at once should cover the average audio/video enthusiasts system. But some universal remotes only work with the power, volume, and channel up/down buttons on your TV. I just read all its' features. Easy to tweak with delays, discrete power codes etc. It could be they are trying to work out the worst of the bugs, it could be supply chain issues. I reported that my Sofabaton X1 could reach all of my devices without the IR blasters, which is mostly the case. Last updated March 28, 2022 But you have to figure out the macro (or sequence of steps) and assign it to a random button. (More on this below.). Unfortunately, early Amazon reviews were very negative, and it has been unavailable for a whileso we have not tried to test it. The hub works with both Amazon Alexa and Google Home, which is a plus. the channel or volume buttons to operate while still holding the remote somehow, - The lack of any actual IR emitters on the remote itself - the IR comes from THE HUB, without which the remote is useless for IR purposes, - The enclosed rechargeable battery which doesn't seem to be replaceable. If you need voice control for a device, you can set it up as a separate Activity. The screen is a non-touch, 2 color OLED. Nice review, Andrew! No command is sent. I have returned, one month later, to give some updates and give my impressions after using it exclusively for a solid month. I just got mine form Amazon today. The Flipper isnt backlit like the EasyMote, but it uses different colors for the power, mute, volume, and channel buttons, which may be more helpful for those with eyesight limitations. So if either dies Im stuck. Does this support the Spectrum TV app so I can ge - Q&A. Universal Remote Control (the company) used to offer a variety of good DIY remotes, but it now focuses on the professional-installation market. AKA Richard46 Sony OLED KE48A9BU; Yamaha RX A2A; MA Bronze BX2 & Radius 225; SVS 3000 Micro;; Goodmans Maxim2; Sony BDP-S1100; Manhattan T3-R 1TB. This is hardly intuitive. Can I Put My Subwoofer On Top Of Furniture? 116K subscribers 24K views 1 year ago Closer look @ Sofabaton X1 - Universal All-In-One Smart Remote Find it here:. So I wish Devices on the X1 screen could just be hidden entirely. The more a remote costs, the more flexibility it should have to control different kinds of devices. Sofabaton X1 remote | Page 2 | AVForums During that time, I have reviewed numerous audio and video products, including virtually every major DIY universal-remote platform. Currently, only 3 WiFi devices are supported: Roku, Philip hue, and Sonos speaker. Not sure if both of those cables can be used at the same time, but I would guess not. If youre setting this up for someone else, they really need to only ever use Activities. I tried fixing the Activities, but nothing seemed to work. Step2: Source information: source switching mode of the output device. Although theres a lot we like about the SofaBaton U1, it has a few significant drawbackssome are expected for a remote in this price range, and some are just unfortunate design choices.