Former Mediacorp star Sharon Au, now living in Paris, speaks of her Quiet Inlet, a sweet Kayuki cocktail, is a popular choice of drug, but today, Sharon is happy sipping water. - global investment operations. Mums cool response? Unless its fries. We know it's a hassle to switch browsers but we want your experience with 8 Days to be fast, secure and the best it can possibly be. Sharon Au was told to work less in Paris - so she started her own French academy . Ex-host Sharon Au quits job after her Paris home is burgled, re-evaluates her life there, All done! For Darren, the father-of-four has been into watercolour painting, playing the celloand pottery. . | But it gave me a huge sense of achievement, and I wore that pair of jeans every day.". You have reached your limit of subscriber-only articles this month. And if you deny medical help, it can get to that stage.". Agreeing that self-improvement should be classed as a 'need' rather than a 'want', Sharon revealed that she's been investing in yoga and pilates classes, as well as on music lessons and musical instruments. I didnt expect it to be under such circumstances. Before we say au revoir, though, Au will star in an upcoming Chinese play "Sages of the Bamboo Grove", at the Esplanade onJan 31 and Feb. 1, 2020. What about you guys? . She told entertainment news outlet 8 Days in an interview that year: "I was very calm when I found out. She added: "While we were eating, he asked me how work was, and I told him I didn't have a job and couldn't find one. One phone call later, Sharon clinched a job at a private equity firm and she has climbed her way up to being an investment director with clients under her. ", She added: "Took me 11 days to pen this note, without crying. Running away has always been Sharons source of comfort, a constant theme in her life that she has grown to be familiar with. During her teenage days, she had spent a night in Marymount Girls Home and witnessed many girls in dismal circumstances. And in January this year, she started Ti Yan, an online culinary academy that teaches the art of French cooking. Unfortunately, the second psychiatrist she went to was no better. But under such circumstances, Au emerged a fiercely independent woman and top-notch performer, which could explain her career-oriented fervourin her former life at Mediacorp. Coming back to Singapore proved to be a blow for Au. When her best friend Melissa from CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls' School discovered that Dennys was her temporary abode, she immediately brought Sharon into her home and announced to her mother that Sharon will be staying with us from now on, because she is homeless. No questions asked. Sharon Au on Switching Careers and Learning from Failure - SG These days, Au lives in Paris with her beloved cat Rudon and works as an investment director in a private equity firm. Sharon Hicks. Sharon Au quits investment director job in Paris after apartment robbed: (ST).Besides her previous roles as a host and actress, the celeb is perhaps also best known for dropping her life in Singapore to move to Paris in 2018.But the recent burglary has given Au cause to rethink her life in the European city.When contacted by ST, the 46-year-old said she is"not well enough" yet to share more . They are so proud of their culture and gastronomy that when they saw this crazy Chinese woman wanting to share it with the world, they completely embraced the idea, she says. Ros L'Esperance Co-Head Global Banking. Copyright 2023 SPH Media Limited. Live where you fear to live. And all of this began when she was only in primary school. "The important lesson here is please make very good friends in your university days, because you will need them.". I am not. [5] She played numerous roles ranging from a cabaret girl in the stage musical, Beauty World to an enthusiastic radio presenter in the sitcom Right Frequency, each receiving rave reviews. "People might feel it's okay, that can come another day. She added: While we were eating, he asked me how work was, and I told him I didnt have a job and couldnt find one. But I feel that it's one of the most important things that should be planned for," Darren said. Sharon Au slept on her friend's sofa for 6 months while - AsiaOne Darren Lim turns his yacht into a business opportunity, takes people out on rides. Strapped for cash, shealso shared that her early days in Pariswere not as glamorous as one might think. But since her Japan and Paris escapades, she is recognising the importance of writing her own narrative. Catch Gu De Dai Zai Jia live on weekdays at 5.30pm on YES 933s Facebook page. From a cabaret girl in the 1998 stage musical, to a bubbly radio presenter in the sitcom. She decided that she would be honest with herself, and be open to treatment. But when former local celebrity Sharon Au shared her ideas passionately at work, she was"scolded for it". During her teenage days, she had spent a night in Marymount Girls Home and witnessed many girls in dismal circumstances. Since I was young, I was thrown from place to place. Sharon also shared a photo on. Sharon Au, 46, Says Her Biggest Regret Is "Not Having Children I remember crying after the meeting as I closedmy laptop and packed up. Wei-Sun has READ MORE Executive Director, Asset Management Sebastian Domenech Joined in 2016 But she told The Straits Times that she resigned from her position after the burglary and is currently not working or looking for a new job. Putting up such a front made Au question if she was really that happy all the time, and whether she had lost sight of herself. ", My favourite season. I also want to apologise for being selfish and running off to Paris and leaving her here alone.. Growing up in what she once called a"broken, poor and unprivileged family background", the natural performer admits that it took a toll on her self-esteem. She had no job for three months and even considered being a waitress at the Italian restaurant near her apartment. On May 11 (Wednesday), she posted on Instagram: "They took everything I love. It is pointless to keep anger.. [8], In 2012, she started and led styleXstyle.com (a property of MediaCorp Pte Ltd), focusing fashion, beauty and lifestyle. Time away from the limelight allowed Sharon to recentre herself, and upon graduating from Waseda University with a Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree in 2011, she returned to Singapore with an invigorated sense of purpose and identity. According to Ms Au, the chairman had seen her work and was impressed by her. This article is now fully available for you, Please verify your e-mail to read this subscriber-only article in full. His paintings transformed from the early "smooth" manner of polished contours to the late "rough" treatment of richly variegated paint surfaces, using hog-bristle brushes, which was uncharacteristic of that era. These included beauty products, clothes, shoes and jewellery. Sharon Au is investment director in a private equity firm. If you like what you read, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Telegram to get the latest updates. Since then, Au said she has learnt to heighten her sense of alertness and urgency. Doctor: "You know Japanese killed a lot of people ah? It brought her back to the past and reopened long-buried wounds. "We start with French culture in particular, and French . I wanted to, I struggled and told myself, 'Okay, maybe this is what it takes. Nonetheless, she was still invited to host at televised events and theatres. Copyright 2023 Mediacorp Pte Ltd. All rights reserved. "It's for people who do not have the proficiency in French, to be able to have relatable access to the art of French cooking." "Then you become too much of a performer you never know when to stop performing. I had everything, yet I felt a huge void, she says. She returned to MediaCorp to serve her scholarship bond upon graduation in 2011, taking up an office executive position. Then, Singapore was the third country to report cases of the coronavirus and was one of the worst-hit outside China, so the former actress-host, who now works as an investment director in a private equity firm in Paris, was understandably worried for her mum back home. I spoke to [my mum about coming back] and she said 'don't be silly! Sharon Au quits investment director job in Paris after apartment robbed Ex-host Sharon Au quits job after her Paris home is burgled, re The counselling, together with anti-depressants, eventually redeemed Au from the clutches of depression. Sharon Au resigned 'dramatically' from Mediacorp because she was #autumnleaves #autumninparis # # Photo taken by @choubidu, A post shared by Sharon Au (@sharonau13) on Oct 28, 2019 at 2:20am PDT. China Equities: Yesterdays Story or More Compelling Than Ever? . Life is all about connections. The entire room looked at her, incredulous. In 2015, she auditioned for The LKY Musical, and got the coveted role of Madam Kwa Geok Choo, but life took a sharp turn when her close secondary school friend passed away from a heart attack. One of them emailed me about work at 12am - 1am, require the report be sent to him by 9.30 am next day (work start at 9am). It was only when I turned 30 that I realised how much I disliked myself. Since then, Au has treasured the "second chance" to embrace life again. He was alone in the apartment and witnessed everything. I was not a very nice person to my friends, she confesses wistfully. The post was accompanied by a photo of her and her beloved pet cat Rudon. I choose to strike first. She said: "I forgot myself ina meeting and started sharing my ideas excitedly and I got told off for it. Former Mediacorp actress and host Sharon Au shared a short message on her Instagram on October 15, musing about her biggest regret. [15], Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Sharon Au Wanted To Quit Paris Job And Return To Take Care Of Mum When COVID-19 Broke Out", "Sharon Au's Journey From Cabin Crew To Business Class Passenger", "Local actress and host Sharon Au quits Mediacorp after 22 years", "SEA Games: Host Sharon Au apologises for insensitive remarks during opening ceremony", "Sharon Au to play Mrs Lee Kuan Yew opposite Adrian Pang in The LKY Musical", "TV host Sharon Au: Wearing this outfit makes me feel sexy because", "Mediacorp's magazines go all-in with digital", "Sharon Au to start a new chapter in life in 2018 - Toggle", "Sharon Au Has Found A New Job In Paris And Will Move There For Good", "Musician Goh Kheng Long renews marriage vows in Paris ceremony, witnessed by Jacky Cheung and Sharon Au", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sharon_Au&oldid=1136619421, Children Medical Fund Charity Show, Lunar New Year's Eve Variety Special, Storm (in Mandarin, ), Toy Factory Productions, Singapore, 1998. As long as [you] havent reach menopause, its still possible (sic), one netizen wrote. He waited for me to come home," she shared. While splurging on your first paycheck might seem reckless, Sharon now working as an investment director at a private equity firm in Paris also emphasised the importance of spending within your means. I lost my friends as I was too arrogant, or perhaps too busy to care.. The blazing lights of show business were soon snuffed out right when she blew out the candles on her 30th birthday cake. Fraught with despair over her unexpected death, Sharon continued to deliver a stunning performance. - global client services. And she does not deny that she has becomevastly different from the Sharon Au that people knew. Instead of acting, she took up an executive position at Mediacorp, citing Japan as one of the, Living in Japan transformed me. A phone call later, she clinched a job at a private equity firm and she has climbed her way up to being an investment director with clients under her. Our management team | UBS Global - Investment Bank Starting from zero. As a tribute to her, I placed a bouquet of flowers on her seat so I could look at them when I was on stage like I was acting for her. First at 13, then at 30, and again at 42. Instead, it means "to experience" in Chinese. The woman was me, when I was studying in Paris in 2008. In an intimate corner space away from prying eyes, Sharon launches into the story of the first time she ran away from home with great zeal. As a provocateur and an innovator in technique, Rembrandt was constantly reinventing himself. Join . A far cry from the Sharon who had a reputation for being a workaholic. This was after four consecutive years, from 2000 to 2003, of winningBest Variety Show Host at the Star Awards. Global Head of Investment Bank Research. When ST asked Au for more information about the extent of the housebreaking and its aftermath, she declined to elaborate and apologised that she is not well enough yet at this point to reveal more. She wasnt in a hurry to find work, and was actually perfectly happy sleeping on my couch doing nothing. Sharon Letendre - Director of Client Relations/Investment - LinkedIn She said: "When people think of Paris, they think about Michelin [Star restaurants]. In the day, she attended school and at night, she slept in Dennys, which was open 24 hours. I considered quitting my job and returning to Singapore, reveals Sharon during YES 933s Gu De Dai Zai Jia (directly translated as Good Stay Home), a celebrity interview segment that was streamed live on Facebook yesterday (Apr 29). "He was alone in the apartment and witnessed everything. "I really felt it you know. Upgraded but still having issues? After staying with Melissas family for two years, Sharons aunt finally took her back in. Investment Director Duties & Responsibilities To write an effective investment director job description, begin by listing detailed duties, responsibilities and expectations. This is further endorsed when she clinched the Star Awards for Best Variety Show Host for four consecutive years from 2000 to 2003. Sharon Au is re-evaluating her life in Paris after her apartment was robbed on April 30, . The feeling of being unwanted was made worse at school, where Au could see that her friends had parents and by extension, a stable environment. Sharon Au moved to the City of Love in 2018 and had been working as an investment director in a private equity firm. The next day I told him it's not possible, he told me I had 8 hrs. But how full of light and colour are their last days. There is another side to Sharon that sets her apart from many of her peersher sharp business acumen. Thread starter lordofthering; Start date Oct 17, 2021; 1; 2; Next. Her first job after her GCE 'A' levels was a flight stewardess with Singapore Airlines,[4] Au's career in the entertainment industry began when she was talent-spotted from a Toy Factory Productions English remake of a Hong Kong stage musical I Have A Date With Spring. But for the next three years, Sharon continued grinding it out at Mediacorp. According to ZoomInfo records, Sharon Au's professional experience began in 2012. Tell me why you depressed. Published by SPH Media Limited, Co. Regn. "We were supposed to go back to work after the meeting but I don't know why, I just walked away and couldn't stop, and I ended up going home and crying on the way back. Web development by Ripplewerkz. A far cry from the Sharon who had a reputation for being a workaholic. True to her roots, she recognises the importance of having a safe space for women to retreat to, and empathises with them. Perhaps I was feeling too vulnerable back then," said Ms Au. Ms Au and Mediacorp released statements announcing her resignation back in 2018. Her deep love for the arts grew when she recognised its value, serving as a mirror of her life. ; the dark wood accents and warm, dim lighting calling to mind a hazy opium den. [9] In 2016, she co-founded the Style by Style Vibes cafe when the new Mediacorp campus opened. At the Singapore launch event for her French Culinary school Ti Yan Academy on Dec. 19, the actress-turned-investment director was vivacious. Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg, The Independent News & Media Pte Ltd, Singapore, Sharon Au left Mediacorp because she was reprimanded for her ideas. Director, AMP Capital Investors Ltd. Director, AMP Capital Funds Management Ltd. Former Singaporean celebrity Sharon Au shared her ideas at work and she was "scolded for it" and she then "dramatically" resigned from Mediacorp in 2018. We're encouraged to speak up, beinnovative, and suggest fresh and creative ideas. Sharon Au was told to work less in Paris - CNA Lifestyle I understand now why I wanted to leave the fame behind.