33. [305][306] Nelson also has one son from a previous relationship, Myles. He led the league with a 58.4 field goal percentage, the first of five consecutive seasons in which he did so. Because in 2000, after eliminating Arvydas Sabonis and Rik Smits from the playoffs, Shaq dubbed himself The Big Deporter since both players gave up NBA basketball and went back to their native countries to stay! #AEWonTNT", ". Bad: Any initials (KG, KD, MJ, etc.) I could have ranked this one lower. [115][116] He was introduced by the Celtics on August 10, 2010, and chose the number 36. In 2016, ESPN ranked Shaq the fourth-best center of all time behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Chamberlain, and Bill Russell. O'Neal appeared as himself on an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm, bedridden after Larry David's character accidentally tripped him while stretching, and in two episodes each of My Wife and Kids and The Parkers. Id rank the nickname higher but its really boring. In a moment where Shaq was showing his sensitivity, 300 Pounds of Greatness took the opportunity to take a jab at his fellow NBA Hall of Famer. He accomplished more than most NBA players can dream of in his 19-year career with the Orlando Magic, Los Angeles Lakers, Miami Heat, Phoenix Suns, Cleveland Cavaliers, and Boston Celtics. Being more than 7 feet in height, and weighing almost 150 kg, he was one of the heaviest NBA players ever. In his first playoff series, O'Neal averaged 20.7 points and 13.3 rebounds as the Pacers swept the Magic. In 2023, Shaq has created a new nickname to add to the list. Catch meon the next edition of Lake's ShaqReport, better known asThe Cake Report. [26] He was later inducted into the LSU Hall of Fame. [268] In June 2015, he invested in technology startup Loyale3 Holdings Inc., a San Francisco brokerage firm whose website and mobile app enables companies to sell a piece of their IPOs directly to small investors who put up as a little as $100 and also allows investors to regularly buy small amounts of shares in already public companies. [228], O'Neal was pranked on the MTV show Punk'd when a crew member accused him of stealing his parking space. This one should probably rank even lower. 3rd seems about right. [27] A 900-pound (410kg) bronze statue of O'Neal is located in front of the LSU Basketball Practice Facility. He's an athlete, entrepreneur and playerformer playernot necessarily in that order. Journalists and others gave O'Neal several nicknames, including "Shaq", "The Diesel", "Shaq Fu", "The Big Daddy", "Superman", "The Big Agave", "The Big Cactus", "The Big Shaqtus", "The Big Galactus", "Wilt Chamberneezy", "The Big Baryshnikov", "The Real Deal", "The Big Shamrock", "The Big Leprechaun", "Shaqovic",[154][155] and "The Big Conductor". Despite battles with the likes of Duncan, Yao Ming and Dikembe Mutombo, there were few instances when Shaq wasnt the best big man on the floor. The Heat led by Wade and a balanced effort by O'Neal, Antoine Walker and Jason Williams would go on to win all three of the next games at home, before closing out the series in Dallas to deliver the first NBA title for the franchise and O'Neal's fourth title. [296][297] O'Neal issued a public apology, stating that he and Binion had spoken and that he's "made a friend today". Shaq's nicknames became one of the signature traits of his personality in the league. The Lakers won, 130124. Every Nickname For Shaq Over The Years - almost - YouTube One must wonder about what they did together and how they enjoyed each other's company. The Lakers made the playoffs, but were eliminated in the second round by the Utah Jazz in five games. He, alongside other spokespeople, is currently being sued for promoting unregistered securities through a class-action lawsuit. We strive to recommend the very best things that are suggested by our community and are things we would do ourselves - our aim is to be the trusted friend to parents. Shaquille O'Neal's Greatest Nicknames, Ranked - Rumble Nickname: The Big Diesel, Shaq Attack. On December 8, 2005, he was sworn in, but elected for a private ceremony to avoid distracting attention from the other officers. "[51], In the November 10, 1999, game against the Houston Rockets, O'Neal and Charles Barkley were ejected. MaybeO'Neal willend up on the league's television station. But when I play him (on defense), it's just going to be me down there. As part of the show, O'Neal got into a physical altercation with seven-foot-tall wrestler Big Show. [296] Binion would however go on to sue O'Neal for a sum larger than $25,000. They include some great names like The Big Aristotle and some less-great names like Witness Protection. [207], Starting with Blue Chips and Kazaam, O'Neal appeared in films that were panned by some critics.[208][209]. Although O'Neal averaged career lows (or near-lows) in points, rebounds, and blocks, he said in an interview "Stats don't matter. Enough. Miami advanced to face New Jersey, who won a surprising game 1 victory before the Heat won four straight to assure a rematch with Detroit. Player/Athlete: Alonzo Mourning, Anfernee Hardaway, Charles Barkley, Clyde Drexler, David Robinson, Derrick Coleman, Dominique Wilkins . scream trumpet players; boca raton real estate 55 and over; beau jo's cauliflower crust nutrition facts Menu Toggle. By joining Kidadl you agree to Kidadls Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and consent to receiving marketing communications from Kidadl. A tribute to a fellow legendary center, Shaq adopted this nickname while representing the same colors as Wilt Chamberlain. O'Neal reverted from (his Lakers jersey) number 34 to number 32, which he had worn while playing for the Magic. "You've got to love this as a big guy," O'Neal said while breaking . [269] O'Neal refused to endorse Wheaties cereal because he preferred Frosted Flakes. [52] On March 6, 2000, O'Neal's 28th birthday, he scored a career-high 61 points to go along with 23 rebounds and 3 assists in a 123103 win over the LA Clippers. [36][37] 82% answered "no". His achievement made him choose a lot of nicknames for himself. From breaking backboards to samurai swords,the NBA will miss Shaquille O'Neal. The Bulls swept the Heat, the first time in 50years a defending NBA champion was swept in the opening round. Nicknames are usually used by people who share a similar personality trait or characteristic. "It gave me something to do," he said. Kobe Stake Through the Heart Bryant 18. The Shaq Fu is mesmerized by the 'Greek Freak' Giant Antetokounmpo's dominance inside the paint, taking the ball to the hole, throwing it down without any flip shots reminded everyone and O'Neal himself when young. I couldnt name another ballet dancer if my life depended on it! Mikhail Baryshnikov is one of the most noted dancers in the history of ballet. They contended that O'Neal was worth more than $20million per year, particularly given that lesser players earned almost the same amount. Copyright 2023 Sports Nostalgia HQ | Powered by Astra WordPress Theme, By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. The Diesel I care about winning, not stats. Copyright 2023 Rumble. Shaquille O'Neal in the Hall of Fame: 5 reasons there will never be Later, during his short stent with Boston, he used "The Big Shamrock." My favorite during his time in Phoenix, however, was "Shaqtus". 4. 'Cause I knew I did something wrong. However, he promised his mother he would eventually return to his studies and complete his bachelor's degree. You wont get confused by people with someone else having the same nickname. Nothing serious whatsoever. Sounds like I should say "bless you," but the Diesel's wealthhis cakeis nothing to sneeze at. Shaquille is corporate, nice-looking, soft-spoken, wears suits, and is very cordial to people, whereas Shaq is the dominant athlete who is the two-time champion. O'Neal appeared in the movie CB4 in a small "interviewing" scene. [242][243] His favorite wrestlers are Tony Atlas, Junkyard Dog, Andr the Giant, and Brock Lesnar. The list goes on and on. [250] A match was proposed for WrestleMania 33, which O'Neal accepted. [328], O'Neal's stepfather, Philip Arthur Harrison, died of a heart attack on September 10, 2013. O'Neal was in L.A.dressed and ready to go to a party to meet up withBiggie before he was murderedaccording to Shaq. His role in the offense diminished, as he attempted only 10 field goals per game, versus his career average of 17. They might use them to refer to each other, or even just to their friends. What is Shaq Lawson's Twitter account? Knowing this, you'd think O'Neal would be a lock as a top 10 all-time player . [56], A month before the 200102season's training camp, O'Neal had corrective surgery for a claw toe deformity in the smallest toe of his left foot. [262] At the end of the interview, O'Neal got water thrown on him by Brandi after telling her to get pointers from Cargill, who had broken Brandi's arm several weeks ago. . [166] Yao joked, "Chinese is hard to learn. He described what has worked best for him in stock investing was where he felt a personal connection with the company. The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. However, O'Neal's feelings toward Toney mellowed in the years following Harrison's death in 2013, and the two met for the first time in March 2016, with O'Neal telling him, "I don't hate you. He was named the 1993 NBA Rookie of the Year and was the first rookie to be voted an All-Star starter since Michael Jordan in 1985. [268], In 2018, O'Neal created the combination music festival, circus and carnival, Shaq's Fun House, in partnership with Medium Rare, which is held annually. The Big Aristotle The Big Shamrock Shaq Mayor McShaq Diesel Wilt Chamberneezy The Big Cactus The Big Shaqtus In November 2022, FTX filed for bankruptcy, wiping out billions of dollars in customer funds as well as O'Neal's personal stake in the company. I had Phil. Its not my thing. After helping the Lakers capture back-to-back-to-back titles, ONeal considered himself the Most Dominant Ever. He definitely had an argument at the time, as he had been named NBA Finals MVP for each year of the threepeat and had just averaged 36.3 points in a sweep over New Jersey. "[165] O'Neal later said it was locker room humor and he meant no offense. Superman: Shaq is obsessed with the Man of Steel. Throughout his playing career, he picked up (and gave himself) more nicknames than anybody other than maybe pro wrestlers and Sean Combs. Shaquille's impressively powerful scores in his 18 years career with the Lakers team ranked his eighth position in the NBA league history with average scores of a double-double of 24.3 points, 11.6 rebounds, and 28,596 points. Cole High School in San Antonio, Texas. 12. Shaq: . Kobe ratted me out. [298], O'Neal was raised by a Baptist mother and a Muslim stepfather. In 2002, Shaq's Los Angeles Lakers swept the New Jersey Nets team. Italian Stallion 14. This one doesnt even come with any fun history. I don't wanna end up in the booth after the games telling you what I think and talking smack about the guys on the floor when they are a lot better than that. If I score 50, 60 points, break the records, and we lose, I'm pissed off. The Lakers finished the season 6121, first in the Pacific Division, and were the second seed in the western conference during the 1998 NBA Playoffs. We have seen in a lot of places that short and simple nicknames are liked by people a lot. O'Neal had been made an "honorary deputy" by the local sheriff's department. He insisted on more cortisone shots and returned in the second round, but he was limited to 12minutes in two games as the Heat eliminated the Celtics from the playoffs. With another NBA postseason underway, there are likely to be a few more gems coming over the next few weeks. Retiring in 2011, Shaq has continued to be involved in a great many fields. O'Neal made comments indicating that he felt the team's decisions were centered on a desire to appease Bryant to the exclusion of all other concerns, and O'Neal promptly demanded a trade. He is so famous that I have heard of him. Having a unique nickname have a lot of advantages. [112] The contract was for two years at the veteran minimum salary for a total contract value of $2.8million. Big Baryshnikov [143] He led the NBA in field goal percentage 10 times, breaking Wilt Chamberlain's record of nine. You have subscribed to: Remember that you can always manage your preferences or unsubscribe through the link at the foot of each newsletter. Shaquille Rashaun O'Neal (/kil/ sh-KEEL; born March 6, 1972), known commonly as "Shaq" (/k/ SHAK), is an American former professional basketball player who is a sports analyst on the television program Inside the NBA.