I'm now off the meds, not seeing the psychiatrist, and living happily.Working at MS was both the best time in my life and the worst time. I'm now past my time that I can recruit away from MSFT after leaving some time ago. She partners very closely with colleagues to develop and drive the people strategy across the UK GEO. Add your salary anonymously in less than 60 seconds and continue exploring all the data. Sometimes leaving MS is good. Ready? You can be a genius of blinding brilliance, but if you come from a boring product team, you "don't have much potential". Senior Director Resume Examples And Templates In 2023 - Zippia High energy, result oriented senior executive with 20yrs+ of comprehensive Sales, Marketing & Operations management experience in IT (Solutions & Services) in GCC region, with a record of. The education qualifications required for various roles for Technical track are: The highest job title in management track in Microsoft is "Vice President (VP)". Specifically, that is a tendency to try and do everything themselves, taking too much individual accountability as opposed to building a v-team across orgs etc etc.Most managers in Microsoft - in my personal experieince - are competent managers. Then do it.Yeah yeah, that's an oversimplification. a Data Scientist 1. work on your visibility. Otherwise, you start getting limited reviews and your compensation goes down.Obviously there was no advice in this post, but I thought it was an interesting observation, and perhaps the company can learn something from this viewpoint. Kathleen Hogan. Can any reader in Corp Sales Excellence(SMS&P) privide guidance on how to grow from 63 to 64 in that group. Ill answer first question later in this comment. If you dont know what exactly an L63 is, how are you able to make promotion discussions in the review meetings?Managers become so defensive when asked what we should be doing to advance. In my opinion the visibility games are intentionally or inadvertently started by GMs and VPs. It's because you were playing catch-up to Apple, and playing Machiavellian games with the media companies instead of working on the issues that your customers were complaining about.Vista is still unreliable, unsecurable, and a massive pain in the ass to use on a daily basis. "2) Peel the onion. You want to test more cases than he does, you want to build something that draws users to what you're doing more than to his.Having part of the bonus be for how the team succeeded relative to the other teams might focus competition towards the competition and not exclusively on co-workers.Add up the review scores of each team member and rank teams. Who da'Punk Nothing you do is good, all you get is criticism. Sometimes i laugh when i read the armchair CEO's on this thread - there is a lot of criticism of Steve, but 99% of our brains would absolutely pop if we had to confront the complexity of decisions he makes in one day. Furthermore, after reaching a plateua in order to get to the next level of development there is usually a dip in the current performance as the learner starts temporarily letting go of some of the skills they have mastered in order to experiment and try new things. It's what you can offer, not what you want out of it that most teams are looking for. Thanks. Senior Director Levels at Microsoft 63 (Senior Manager) 64 Principal EM (Principal Director of Engineering) 66 Senior Director (67) GM, Partner (SDE Group Manager) 69 VP (70) Corporate VP (80) Executive VP (81) View 7 More Levels United States No region found, search all locations Greater Seattle Area San Francisco Bay Area View All Data What worked well and what really horked things up for you? This way I can be in a better position to show that I am a "absolutely!" There may be multiple reasons for pay differences - one of which is a small number of salaries submitted per job. 83,000+ Senior Director jobs in United States (6,036 new) - LinkedIn At the beginning of each FY, I always asked, "I want to get Exceeded this year. I spent 5 years on level 61. If you find a boss who likes the kind of work you can do, follow him/her wherever they go. Microsoft Senior Director Salaries | Glassdoor That clarity may not always result in a promotion on the exact timeline you envision but if you're honest with yourself and have a good manager it really helps.I'm a 13 year Microsoft employee who lived through the bad old days of crappy managers. For example, in order to be promoted to level 62, you, as a level 61, must already perform at a level 62 level for a long time. > Lots of very true points. Every spec coming to this team had my feedback in it. Yes, "soft skills" count. When I gave notice, my PUM was in my office within an hour showing me stock levels at 65 and 66, willing to restructure my position pretty much to my liking. The level of scrutiny by my management chain creasedup to the point where leader of our group4 levels above me in the management chain had to approve the promotion. Seniority Levels in the Workplace: Types and What They Mean For technical and management track, the job level start from 57 and continues till 80. "You might be too smart or have ideas that come from somewhere outside of Redmond which makes you very dangerous and not Microsoft material. Is there a way one can dream of getting promoted in this noxious environment which is the oabg? did this post dieNo, the Mini-Electronic Brain did. Harder for L64. What I've learned is be very, very specific on your commits and accountabilites. The first levels came quickly with some sticking around 64 and 65 (half my career).I have always taken on and fixed problem areas that no one else wants to take on. Given that quite a few Microsofties are going to find themselves locked into their current group for a while, the ability to succeed by swinging on the vines to a new group is going to be rare. The job level for Technical Fellow starts at 80 and goes beyond. Learning Curves and Disillusioned Learners: psychologists have known for years that skill acquisition tends to follow a typical learning curve. As a L64 I find getting to 65 quite a wall. 3. This will bump you off the fast-track 96% of the time.No matter how bad things are, always be positive, and provide a recommendation for how to address each problem. If a spot is available. I definitely want to read more soon.Sincerely yoursSteave Markson. The person who puts you up for promotion and has promotion conversations with your skip level. I was let go from Microsoft recently. I've been hearing some stealth layoffs around the SQL and BOSG groups, around 70+ people were given 6(?) Tech savvy yet entrepreneurship minded hence able to see things from . We all know how many architects there are but isn't Senior the same thing nowadays ? I influenced the features, I lended my expertise on them, and I learned about the customer - all this way before the spec'ing phase. This is a good list. In this scenario, the senior director might have more responsibilities and be in charge of a larger part of the organization than a typical director. We've negotiated thousands of offers and regularly achieve $30k+ (sometimes $300k+) increases. In my own experience, even after being a great developer for 2+ years, with straight 4.0 scores at that time, and despite having Dev Manager roles before Microsoft, I would be turned down on informationals for Dev Lead positions with the simple question: Have you been a Dev Lead at Microsoft? Great post! After that, I was given a team that was dysfunctional and the most problematic area of the product - now its the area that customers rave about and the team is running smoothly.The bottom line is that takes (1) very hard work (2) you need to build your skills (3) personality to drive the solution in spite of the process and (4) demand excellence from others - including managing out those that will never deliver quality (some folks are net losses to the team).I always hear the whining from folks that get stuck at level 62/63 but when those tough challenges are out there, they don't volunteer and they certainly don't go looking for the biggest challenges. It sounds trite, but it's true. In short there are lot many ways to influence others and infect the best ones are not being a manager :). Let's compare answers answer is: your boss. At Level 66, Microsoft employees reported that nearly 40% of compensation was in the form of cash and stock bonuses. If I'm going to be late delivering something, give folks advance notice.3. L7 equals L64 or L65. 63's and 64's own a huge piece of getting the RIGHT work done CORRECTLY. Seek out local critique before you approach people above you. Amazon, Go to company page Leaked Microsoft Data Shows Reported Pay for Software - Insider No manager can bail you out of "bad brand jail" past L625. 4. Its a bit like the famous phrase about the definition of obscenity. I call B.S. Most of our ways of doing things have so many imperfections that you would not have any trouble to find obvious thing to improve in obvious ways. Senior directors are tenured members of an organization who are considered part of the leadership or executive team, in which they represent their department or division. At that time, I understood those questions as being just an excuse that the manager used because he or she didnt like something in my skills or personality. In my org the cut is 70% on promos. By contrast, most directors don't have their own budgets, but need approvals from their VP to do just about anything. Maybe one boss likes to see a lot of code written, and another settles for less code, but fewer bugs. Joined MCS at level 60 and was immediately told that L61 would be years away. I basically just hoped that hard work would get me ahead. I sympathize with folks who feel they have been shafted however to quote a cliched saying: the common factor between you and all your problems is you. ?I work in MSN and we still have no way to know the levels of our peers. You want to test more cases than he does, you want to build something that draws users to what you're doing more than to his.You're never competing with your manager. > What if you and your manager are at the same level L62. I also don't know if this is the first step towards a lay-off, but for now, it seems we'll have jobs for a few more months.Ugh, not good, not good at all>I am a partner. mini,time to start a new blog: maybe around current economy and msft. Former is work of many years and long nights and proven track record while later is basically your ability to bullshit through 6 interviews. Jade Tong - Director of Business Development - Asia - LinkedIn The Making of an Expert: in the great Harvard Biz Review article of this title the author debunks the myth that experts are born, rather than made. Ability to solve problems independently is bad because if you don;t ask for help it reduces your visibility. The estimated base pay is $243,438 per year. No one else was as good. So, for those of you who are in orgs where it's 'easy' to get to L63 or L64 - think about transferring out BEFORE you get too high a level and paint yourself into a corner. Don't obsess over what is in front of you. If your boss is saying "Yes, ready for promo now" and your skip is saying "No, not now" well, why? That is one aspect where they are forced to build fake relationships with directors and GMs to get promoted and unfortunately those who maintain good relatiship with them get promoted.