Throughout the West, you will come upon dinosaur museums in the most unlikely little towns. Traveling with a dog or cat? Real tracks from nearly a dozen different dinosaurs are on display, and your family can walk the same path they did. If you can, plan a layover day here and snag a permit to do a top-down hike of Zions Narrows. You are going to love visiting Moab. Quotes from 50+ insurance companies. If you dont have the proper vehicle to handle these types of trails, you can rent a jeep through Moab Adventure Center on the main street in Moab. Since the church's members are urged not to consume alcohol, tobacco, and hot caffeinated drinks like tea and coffee in the church, according to The Washington Post, some people turned to soda. Established 1 hour Temple Square. If not, you may spring for a quick hike on BLM land alongside State Route 128 or Kane Creek. In May, I went to Moab, Utah. It earned its comparison to Switzerland thanks to the nearby Wasatch mountain range, which Swiss settlers in the 1850s compared to the Alps, according to The Herber Valley Utah. Top 14 road trips from Salt Lake City. Salt Lake City to Zion National Park Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Uber vs Rental Car: is It Cheaper to Rent a Car or Uber, New York City to Niagara Falls Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, San Diego to Joshua Tree National Park Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Dallas to Oklahoma City Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, St. Louis to Memphis Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Atlanta to Savannah Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Phoenix to Flagstaff Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Chicago to Indianapolis Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Portland to Crater Lake National Park Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Anchorage to Valdez Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route, Santa Fe to Taos Distance, Drive Hours, Stops & Best Driving Route. We are both senior citizens and do not hike or ski. Fox Rent-A-Car is the perfect solution for budget-minded travelers. Check the road conditions from Salt Lake City to Moab and plan a trip based on the weather along the way. To that end, this is not your typical weekend road trip itinerary. With soda shops sprinkled across the state, I chose pop more often than coffee during my road trip. The total travel time from the Salt Lake City airport is not bad, with some beautiful scenery along the way. Whether you choose to drive, fly, or take a bus or shuttle, the journey from Salt Lake City to Moab is sure to be an adventure that youll never forget. Road conditions from Salt Lake City to Moab Utah One Salt Lake City restaurant standout is Caffe Molise. Bed-down at. For eager hikers, the. 6 hours of driving. I want to try it out on my car, but I cant seem to find the plug. Its impossible to squeeze a trip to Moab into a single day (you could easily spend a week in this adventure hub), but whatever you do, dont miss a malt at Milts Stop & Eat. stay at Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City - a Kimpton Hotel. The Perfect 7-Day Mighty 5 Utah Road Trip Itinerary (2021) The landscape along the way makes you want to grab your water bottle a must-have in the hot, desert environment and hike through the red rock formations. Then, once youve packed up your car and youre headed back home, add the scenic La Sal Mountain Loop to your route for a few last unforgettable photo ops. Moab is a city full of adventures just waiting to be discovered. One of the best things to do when traveling to Moab is to visit Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. The parking lot was on the edge of a grassy park with the limestone amphitheater towering over it. Next time I'm near Moab, I'd skip the Sego Canyon Rock Art and stop at Newspaper Rock instead, which is about 50 minutes south of Moab. Mingling with students on the cusp of exploring their future imparts a sense of youthful exuberance, not to mention a trip down memory lane. Road Trip from Seattle to Moab - LazyTrips In May, I disembarked the luxury Rocky Mountaineer train and arrived in Moab, Utah. Hang a left onto UT-22 (seven miles), then take a right onto UT-62 east (26 miles). As your road trip progresses further south through Utah, you will come upon a number of towns, including Provo, Spanish Fork, Heber, Price, Green River, and Thompson Springs. But I can't say I'd make the 40-mile trek out to the ghost town again. No matter where you are, a breakdown could happen. The Coolest Utah Road Trip Pit Stops: Salt Lake City, Moab - Insider The driving distance from Salt Lake to Moab is 234 miles. : Once youre finished with dinner, see if you can catch a film at the Redwood Drive-In movie theater over in West Valley City. Moab to Salt Lake City drive - plan a road trip Be sure to check out the Bean Life Science Museum and the BYU Museum of Paleontology. If youre interested in hiking in Moab and exploring on foot or riding through the parks on a mountain bike, your options are endless. So I gave up and viewed the mine from a distance. Their focus on customer satisfaction means youll have a great time renting from them from start to finish. Type above and press Enter to search. : If you feel like stretching your legs, there are several trails. offers an excellent roadside assistance program. Explore fun things to do in beautiful Salt Lake City or explore exciting outdoor adventures in Moab by visiting our destination guides. . Around this time, you will see signs for US-6 E toward Price. Our mission is to serve the 50+ traveler who's ready to cross a few items off their bucket list. The Best Road Trip from Salt Lake City To Moab Drive through the Utah desert, visiting four national parks before arriving in Moab. You could do it in a week, but with all that red rock country has to offer, its worth treating yourself to some extra time. The Aggies are proud of their university and take great care in maintaining the museum for their guests to enjoy. Day 2: Arches National Park While its a bit longer, the stunning scenery along the way makes it worth the extra time. Nearly 70% of people living in Utah identify as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to the World Population Review. There are three campgrounds in Zion, two of which (South and Watchman) can be reserved in advance. *An earlier version of this Utah road trip post first appeared on the blog in 2013 and was last updated February 2021. In 2019, Canyonlands welcomed 733,996 visitors, according to the National Park Service. Grand Circle Tour Itinerary | Utah.com The flight time from Salt Lake City to Moab is approximately 1 hour and 5 minutes. No matter which direction you turn, the panorama is breathtakingly beautiful, offering views of Canyonlands National Park, the La Sal Mountains, and the Colorado River. Drive back via Ashley National Forest. follow the path of explorer John Wesley Powell, Governor's Office of Economic Opportunity. Keep in mind, because there are a handful of stops along the way, traveling by bus will make for the longest time spent on the road. Salt Lake City is filled with tons of outdoor options as well! After failing for the third time, I got the sense that the owners don't want visitors getting close to the abandoned mine. What will your adventure hold? I walked through the park and navigated my way to the entrance of the amphitheater where a group was practicing a play. Road Trip From Salt Lake City Airport | Avis Rent a Car So when I read about the Dream Mine in Spanish Fork on Atlas Obscura, I knew I wanted to visit. Salt Lake City is the ideal starting point to set out to the Yellowstone National Park and to discover the natural resources in northern Utah as well. Or opt for a rowdy 2- or 3-day Westwater Canyon rafting trip, just upstream from Moab. Prices vary by individual listings. SLC in mid-March - Salt Lake City Forum - Tripadvisor Today, they are worn down, sun-bleached, and illegible. What to do from Springdale to Bryce Canyon, : Leave SLC early, heading south towards Zion. Can You Rent A Car With An OpenSky Credit Card? The Ultimate Utah National Parks Road Trip Itinerary Park Fees: We recommend that you buy the $80 National Parks Pass that will allow you into all National Parks and Monuments. Here are the places I'd go to again in a heartbeat, and where I'll skip on future travels. After providing you with a comprehensive cross-analysis of the best policies across providers, Jerry will handle the phone calls, paperwork, and renewals for your top pick so that you dont have to. With four to five national park stops, a visit to Bears Ears National Monument, and endless opportunities for adventure, this Utah road trip from Salt Lake City to Moab is a definite bucket list experience. 54 minutes Hoback. The park boasts hundreds of miles of hiking trails for all levels. Gas prices in Utah are relatively low compared to other states, and you can expect to pay around $35 for a full tank of gas. Buckle up! Experiencing the world-renowned Tabernacle Choir should be on every music lovers bucket list. The abandoned settlement is about an hour outside of Salt Lake, so I spent one morning exploring the property. I experienced crowdsand had to contend with the hassle of needing a timed reservation to enter the park. The Homestead Crater's website states that it formed more than 10,000 years ago when melting snow seeped into the earth, where it heated and percolated upward. And, like in Switzerland, the town is located near some of Utah's best skiing. Home of Brigham Young University, Provo is a good spot to stop and stretch your legs. In the video, Mr. Just jump on the bus in downtown Salt Lake City, and 5 hours later, youre in Moab! : Try to get up early to avoid the mid-afternoon heat while youre still out and about. Take in the staggering views of the Salt Lake Valley and the abrupt shift as the southern route morphs the landscape into barren, red rock and desert. Beat compares the two cities' economies, climates . The point is accessible by a precariously narrow road dont look down. And, according to the spring's website, it's the only place for warm water diving in the continental US. 6 Outdoorsy Weekend Road Trips from Salt Lake City, Utah - Territory Supply Day 1: Arrive in Moab. The beauty of the parks wild landscape viewed from your perch high up on the point is stunning. It earned its comparison to Switzerland thanks to the nearby Wasatch mountain range, which Swiss settlers in the 1850s compared to the Alps, according to The Herber Valley Utah. As your weekend trip winds down, you may be looking for a relaxing way to ease yourself back into reality. Insider paid for the soda, per our reporting standards. City: round-trip one-way. Why Everyone Should Raft the Rogue River at Least Once, 10 of the Worlds Most Notorious Whitewater Rapids. If more information had been provided on the petroglyphs, I think it may have been worth the drive. The Fruita Campground is the only developed campground in the park, and you can make reservations between March and October. This scenic drive really is a sight to behold. Nearby, there were signs with what I imagine once housed information on the rocks. Campsites are typically much less expensive, and theres lots of free camping in Moab. In the morning, check out the. 2023 Simple Rent Car. 11:00 am start in Salt Lake City. 37 minutes Ogden. Moab and Salt Lake City are about a 4-hour drive apart if you navigate straight through from one to the other. The quickest way to get from Salt Lake City to Moab is via I-15 S and US-6 E/US-191 S. The route takes you through some breathtaking scenery, including the Wasatch Mountains, which are part of the Rocky Mountains. Todays drive through Utahs high desert is around two hours and 45 minutes. Fullyexploring the Canyonlands regioncalls for a trip all its own, but Gooseberry is an excellent day hike to see the parks dramatic geology. If you're coming from Denver take the scenic Highway 128 instead of Highway 191. Plus, they offer a wide selection of cars from economy to luxury so you can find the perfect ride for your trip. The town is bustling with mountain bikers, river rafters, climbers, canyoneerers, hikers and off-roaders who have come to play. A trip into the Utah desert requires an extensive packing list. One of Utah's most famous ghost towns is Iosepa, which was designed to be an oasis for Hawaiian followers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints after they were pushed out of Salt Lake City in the 1880s. Having a rental car will also give you lots of flexibility once you get to Moab. We are here to show you that traveling as a family is not as hard as you might think. It's also one of Moab's few fine-dining restaurants, located in the former house of Charles A. Steen, a uranium miner who became a millionaire. If you are short on time or if you are leaving Salt Lake City late in the day, you should continue to Moab without stopping here. Answer 1 of 13: Will be in Denver from a Sunday afternoon in July, fly home the following Saturday. Can I Rent a Car with A Temporary License, Can You Rent a Car with a Restricted License. ($$): Lunch depends on your hiking preferences, but. Editorial Note: The content of this article is based on the authors opinions and recommendations alone. If you do decide to visit, don't make the mistakes park rangers often see in the national parks, like expecting solitude or forgetting to pack enough water. However, most visitors flock to the beautiful and unique red rock landscapes of Southern Utah. I rented a Jeep for five days with a plan to explore Moab and its surrounding desert towns,before heading up to Midway, andending in Salt Lake City. One thing is for certain, you can always find something to do in Moab. Road conditions from Moab Utah to Salt Lake City It was some of the best food I had during my trip. Stretch your legs on the Queens Garden Trail, a 1.8-mile trip to Queen Victoria Hoodoo and back. If there is snow on the road, make sure you drive carefully, and you will make it safely. Take advantage of some of them, and make sure you take in the wonderful views! Every Thursday from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., the Tabernacle choir group in Salt Lake City hosts rehearsals that are open to the public, according to the choir group's website. It features a pleasant outdoor patio for Tex-Mex fare. Buy vs Rent a Car: Should I Buy or Rent a Car? From Salt Lake City, hop on I-15 south for a straight shot to the states southern reaches. If you're heading to the south entrance of Canyonlands National Park, I think it's worth it to take a moment to look since it's on the same road. Do Car Rental Companies Check Your Driving License? Our flight from ATL . There are also tons of vocational rentals nearby! To break things up, you can spend the night in Park Citythere are numerous good hotels to consider. Lincoln Town Car Signature Insurance Cost. By the time I sat down, the sun had fully set and the food wasn't as tasty as I'd hoped. The best part is it only takes four days. Copyright All Rights Reserved. Salt Lake City, Utah Search for cheap flight deals now! Flying Into Salt Lake City Once you land in Salt Lake City, plan to pick up your car or RV rental and head south toward Moab, Utah. I arrived in Salt Lake on Thursday, and the choir practice was starting in just under an hour at the Tabernacle on Temple Square. I wouldn't think of castles and hospitals going together, but in Provo, there's a castle-like amphitheater located on Utah State Hospital's property. Salt Lake City & Wasatch Front Winter in Southern Utah Ski Resorts Dark Sky Parks Things To DoToggle Menu Close Menu Arts & Museums Backpacking Camping Cycling Dinosaurs Festivals & Events Filmed in Utah Fishing Food & Nightlife Hiking History Mountain Biking OHV & Off-Road Rafting Road Trips Rock Climbing Skiing Slot Canyons Snowboarding Answer 1 of 12: Hi there My family and I (from Switzerland) are planning a Road Trip from San Francisco to Salt Lake City. From high-energy adventure to world-renowned musical talent, your road trip between the two will be filled with history, exploration, and great food. As you pull into the downtown area of Salt Lake City, the pretty views of the Wasatch Mountains explain why the Mormon leaders decided to call it home. It enables you to save money on hotels and other living costs. Top it all off with the crme brle for a truly decadent dinner. Be prepared to stand in awe of the famous geological formations that it features. Some of Utah's prettiest vistas are on display as you traverse mountains and valleys on this road trip from Salt Lake City to Moab, Utah. It's hard to miss as it sits on a hill overlooking the desert town. Road Trip From Salt Lake City Airport Top Travel Destinations For a Southern Utah Road Trip The State of Utah has just about every kind of terrain that an adventurer could want. If youre looking to make some stops along the way, there are plenty of great places to visit on the drive from Salt Lake City to Moab. From horseback riding to backcountry hiking, the options are endless. Utah Road Trip Itinerary Stop 1: Moab for a few nights Drive time Salt Lake City -> Moab: about 4 hours Stop #1 on your Utah road trip is Moab. , a healthy spot for a variety of fresh eats. Feels like 15.98 Wind speed 5.8 mph Pressure 1029 hPa. As the water moved upward, it collected minerals and deposited them on the surface, which formed the volcano-shaped dome. Moab to Salt Lake City via Vernal. 2:51 pm Moab. After years of renting cars and sharing my findings with friends, I decided to start a blog so that I could help others save money and find the best possible car rental deals. I later learned on Atlas Obscura that the amphitheater, which is sometimes called the Provo Castle, was built as part of the New Deal programs in 1936 as an event space. In 1947,Atlas Obscura reported thatKoyle said he was forced to sign a statement that admitted his prophecies were false, and eventually, the mine was re-abandoned. An Epic 5-Day Southwest Road Trip & National Park Itinerary The short hike to House on Fire from Mule Canyon is well worth the effort, and if you have more time, a longer hike in Road Canyon passes numerous archaeological sites. No trip to Moab is complete without visiting Arches National Park. Salt Lake City 43F. The scenic drive from Salt Lake City to Moab is something you wont soon forget. 5:14 pm arrive in Salt Lake City. Salt Lake City - Eurowings Discover disembarked the luxury Rocky Mountaineer train, Utah Department of Health and Human Services' website, crowdsand had to contend with the hassle of needing a timed reservation to enter the park, mistakes park rangers often see in the national parks. What to eat from Springdale to Bryce Canyon. As long as you are practicing attentive driving and taking your time, the drive is totally doable and not scary. It was a short drive off the highway. You can explore Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and the surrounding Moab area at your own pace. The crater is a geothermal hot spring that's encapsulated in a limestone dome. The penne di caprino with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and artichoke hearts on a bed of penne is heavenly. The shops offeredwhatfelt to me like an endless combination of soda, syrups, and flavors. The history and stories I learned from the deserted plot of land I found were worthy of a pit stop. Once you get to Zion, have a look around before checking into your hotel for the evening.