10 The one who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and the one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. 270 I hate to have to disagree with the NET Bible translation here, but it seems to me that this translation does not adequately emphasize the force of our Lords carefully chosen words, especially in context. I will put you in charge of many things. It would probably be unwise to study the parable of the talents in Matthew 25 without also considering a similar parable in Luke 19:11-27: 11 While the people were listening to these things, Jesus proceeded to tell a parable, because he was near to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear immediately. But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money. 21 For I was afraid of you, because you are a severe man. If you have any questions, please review our Privacy Policy or email us at privacy@biblegateway.com. get answers to your Bible questions from 50+ resources ($2,400+ value! 17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two. What is the meaning of the Parable of the Sower? Enter into the joy of your master. 22 The one with the two talents also came and said, Sir, you entrusted two talents to me. Granted, the interest one gets from a savings account is not the kind of increase one might get from investing in the stock market, but it would at least be a small increase. If he were afraid to take any risk, then why did he not at least put the talent in the hands of the bankers, who would conservatively invest it for him, and gain at least some interest? These folks were a more honest (hopefully) version of money changer than those who did business in the temple precincts. 22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them. READ the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25:14-30. Since a talent was actually a measurement of weight, it did not have a constant value. Also the description of the last judgment. For the joy set out for him he endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God. 18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money. Matthew 25:22 - The Parable of the Talents - Bible Hub What is the meaning of the Parable of the Ten Minas? 21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord. Working hard for the profit of the kingdom and the King is entering into the joy of our Master. 3 Therefore, remember what you received and heard, and obey it, and repent. Only the soil that produces a crop is good soil. Its leaves are for the healing of the nations. A primary word; 'else, ' i.e. which was given to the third (unfaithful) servant is taken away and given to the faithful servant who gained the most for his master. 8 But you must require of them the same quota of bricks that they were making before. 16 Then he that had received the five talents went and I will put you in charge of many things. 13 Therefore stay alert, because you do not know the day or the hour. What Does It Mean That There Is No One Holy Like God? 27 But as for these enemies of mine who did not want me to be their king, bring them here and slaughter them in front of me!. (1) Verse 13 does not really seem to fit with verses 1-12, or to contribute to their message. Matthew 25:14-30 : The Parable of the Talents. The only difference seems to be in their abilities, and thus in the talents that were entrusted to them. Parable Of The Talents, Matthew 25:14-30 KJV - KING JAMES BIBLE ONLINE His entertainment was to torment one of the tigers. English Standard Version The Parable of the Talents 14 "For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants[ a] and entrusted to them his property. third servant does not make a profit for his master. It is clear that our Lord Jesus intended for us to be found at work when He returns: 45 Who then is the faithful and wise slave, whom the master has put in charge of his household, to give the other slaves their food at the proper time? For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. As I was teaching the parable of the virgins, I could not see how verse 13 served as any kind of conclusion to the first 12 verses. This whole matter of profit expands the teaching of our Lord in Matthew 6: 19 Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. It was not the masters problem; it was the slaves problem. Speed and thrust increase. 25And I was afraid, and went and hid your talent in the ground. In other words, Luke informs us that Jesus told this parable specifically to correct some misconceptions about the time of His return. an ounce) was nearly equivalent to 400 of our money. We find our true joy and place in life when we serve God with our gifts. [15]And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every . Works are fruits that are evidence of true faith (see James 2). It is a time when one should have the wisdom of age, financial freedom, and flexibility. Scripture taken from the New King James Version. Nicholas P. Constasobserves that early Greek church fathers described this event as Jesus tricking the devil, using his humanity as a lure to catch his adversary. But this work is joyful. It is the real Christian's liberty and privilege to be employed as his Redeemer's servant, in promoting his glory, and the good of his people: the love of Christ constrains him to live no longer to himself, but to Him, that died for him and rose again. For example, this story is about talents which was a super large amount of money in Bible times. In the parable of the talent, there are two clear references to time. There was a lot of grumbling about him among the crowds. Let me see if I can defend my allegation. Well talk about this a bit later, but for the moment, I am inclined to understand this expression in contrast to another in our text, And throw that worthless slave into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:30). Have you trusted in the righteousness of Jesus Christ, and in His death at Calvary for your sins, rather than in your works (Romans 3:21-26)? Luke 19:17 - The Parable of the Ten Minas - Bible Hub Hank Hanegraaff, Economy of God Is this not cause for rejoicing (see Acts 11:19-24)? Parable of the Talents Jumble | Sermons4Kids Most importantly, bringing glory to God is profitable. See, I have gained two more.' 23 His master replied, 'Well . What is the meaning of the Parable of the Growing Seed (Mark 4:26-29)? Is the salvation of lost sinners not profit in the eternal sense? However, the talents (or minas in Lukes version) represent more than just the monetary resources God gives us. Matthew 25:15. Enter into (M)the joy of your master. 22And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more. 23His master said to him, Well done, good and faithful servant. What is the meaning of the Parable of the Dragnet? Never, other than in our text (according to most versions), is it employed to begin a new paragraph. And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. It is a usual way of expressing the miseries of the damned in hell. The third slave is lazy, and thus useless, as opposed to being hard-working, and therefore useful. In the end though, it doesnt matter whether we think Jesus is a hard or odd master, because we are neither all-knowing nor all-powerful. While there would be sufficient evidence for His followers to discern the general season of His return, neither the day nor the hour would be known (Matthew 24:32-36, 42). What is the meaning of the Parable of the Wedding Feast? What is the meaning of the Parable of the Good Samaritan? These gifts have been seen to include personal abilities ("talents" in the everyday sense), as well as personal wealth. Tounderstand this parable, we need to look at the parable in the context of Jesus surrounding teachings and the Bibles other teachings about giftings. You may unsubscribe from Bible Gateways emails at any time. Enter into the joy of your master. 24He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, Master, I knew you to be (N)a hard man, reaping (O)where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. 30 And throw that worthless slave into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matthew 25:13-30). master. (2) Many of the commentaries acknowledge the abruptness of verse 14 as the first verse of a new paragraph. Crucially, Jesus says that both the parable of the 10 virgins and the parable of the talents are about what the kingdom of heaven will be like in the last days (Matthew 25:1,14). To offer, give; I put, place. Wells The Invisible Man where a foolish theologian suggests a strangers problem is he only has one talent. Start FREE. man allocates his resources to servants, expecting them to make a profit in his absence. 280 Old Testament references here are to the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament. Most of us find it hard to un-crack, especially given the third servant gets punished for doing nothing. Indeed, they accused Him of being a wicked sinner, more worthy of death than Barabbas. What is it that you want Him to find you doing when He returns? 18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you, but you will eat the grain of the field. Our receiving from Christ is in order to our working for him. The words are in their substance like those in St. Matthew, but their absolute identity with those in the lesson drawn from the parable of the Unjust Steward (see Note on Luke 16:10) is every way suggestive.This parable is connected with that as its natural sequel and development. How is it that the one who does not have has something taken from him? 14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods. 16 So the first one came before him and said, Sir, your mina has made ten minas more. 17 And the king said to him, Well done, good slave! You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Parable of the Talents children's story - dltk-kids.com Parable of the Talents - Deborah H. Bateman The third slave is just the opposite. The original text is quite clear here it is the first servant (and we assume the second, as well) who immediately sets to work with his masters money. For all the saints. In fact, if this were to take place today, that money would likely be worth less, due to inflation. The question for us to consider is this: Just how do we measure spiritual profit? His servants will worship him, 4 and they will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads (Revelation 22:1-4). I am saying that our labors for the kingdom have no point of termination except for our Lords return, and even then fruitful labor will continue in heaven. However, as planned, he becomes king of the distant land and returns home to see how his servants have done. (17) Because thou hast been faithful in a very little.--More literally, because thou didst become faithful. Come and share your masters happiness! (Matthew 25:21). 15And to one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one, (D)to each according to his own ability; and immediately he went on a journey. 17And likewise he who had received two gained two more also. So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest. 'Parable of the Talents' Childrens Lesson (Matthew 25:14-30) After all of Jesus' teaching, the disciples, although still limited in their knowledge and understanding, knew for sure that Jesus was to restore His Kingdom to Israel ( Acts 1:6 ). Since help was available to him in the Church, the man had no excuse. A parable is a type of story Jesus would tell so we would learn something from it. It is as though he had said, I knew you were unreasonable, and that there was no way to please you, and so I decided not even to try.. It seems safe to deal with the first two servants together, since they are so similar. Our Lords rebuke of the scribes and Pharisees is often couched in stewardship terms. He provides the money and the ability, but we are expected to work hard with what He has given us, for the profit of the kingdom. I wonder how many of us are simply giving back money that we have not put to use. After centuries of Israelites seeing themselves as Gods only favored people, he opened things up for Gentiles to become co-heirs (Ephesians 3:6). 28 Therefore take the talent from him and give it to the one who has ten. The one who has been faithful on earth with a little thing like money will be given greater work to do in heaven. He has granted the time and the resources for men to make a profit for the kingdom of heaven, until He returns. There is no end to our labors for our God. ), for my conscience assures me in the Holy Spirit 2 I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart.