Plus use our free tools to find new customers. 7:30- 11pm Friday-Saturday 2,567 followers. All contents copyright 2003-2023. So I passed. Moved the bakery to Kaunakakai town in 1945. Be aware, "hot bread" doesn't mean the bread is hot. No matter what time of day (except Tuesdays), you can get fresh bread at this 80-year-old bakery. Kanemitsu Bakery in Kaunakakai on the Hawaiian island of Molokai is a bakery known for its baked goods and the "hot bread" served out of its back door at night.. Kanemitsu Bakery serves a "hot bread" described as a "pillowy loaf" late into the night. . How is Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop rated? Molokai Enriched Bread (plain, no filling) Hot bread served from 10:00 p.m - 12:00 or when bread runs out. Ive heard about it for ages but never tried it until now. The food was excellent and price about right for Hawaii. The bakerys permit was reinstated today after the facility passed a Department of Health (DOH) inspection this morning. They dine in the restaurant twice a day, most days. Many patrons swear by heating it back up before devouring the loaf, but its plenty good cold, too. If theyre out of any flavors, theyll put a sign in the window.-They are a cash-only establishment, so hit up the ATM before you arrive. No illness has been reported from consuming its products, according to the DOH. The regulars on Molokai and the customers who flock to the bakerys booth at the Made in Maui County Festival every year could probably answer that question its all about the bread, the soft, white, round loaf baked with the same recipe Kanemitsus father concocted back in the 1950s. Their Hot Bread is the most popular of all their amazing offerings, leaving people lining up in the alley each evening. The People Who Clean company of Maui generously donated loaves of bread to healthcare workers on Maui! Mom and pop are there. Renowned Molokai Hot Bread Run A Hit In Honolulu - Hawaii Travel News Specialties: Kanemitsu Bakery in Kaunakakai on the Hawaiian island of Molokai is an 80 year old bakery known for its baked goods and the "hot bread" served out of its back door at night. OVERALL: I just want to thank the people in Hawaii for always supporting me, he said. to its beaches, to its eateries. George Kanemitsu remembers his dad always experimenting with different bread recipes adding and reducing the yeast, altering the mixing time, changing the temperature of the water. We passed the time chatting with a very nice couple from Colorado who were seated at the next table. The meal would have been better with runny yolks, but the rice was tasty with nice bits of diced BBQ pork in it. //Kanemitsu Bakery - Local Insider Review | Molokai Not to sweet but just right. The vinegar flavor in the rice was surprising at first, until I reminded myself what I was eating. Instead, its left to cool, and then split open down the middle. This sucker is hefty at one whole pound! Intergenerational Learning at Soto Mission, Molokai Complex Seeks Grant for Afterschool Program. Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop - Yelp George Kanemitsu no longer bakes but still oversees operations of the bakery, which produces 500 to 600 loaves of the famous Molokai bread every day, in addition to pastries, pies and lavosh. Today we are having Kanemitsu Bakery's Da Works Molokai Hot Bread with Strawberry, Blueberry, Cinnamon, Butter, and Cream Cheese fillings! Baked fresh daily using NO Preservatives! Ted: The bakery does not offer catamaran tours. I heard you have to get the bread at night, does know what time? Its a real honor, said daughter Karen Christenson, beverage and marketing manager for Mamas. Kanemitsu Bakery - Tripadvisor The "World Famous Molokai Hot Bread" (click to read) from Kanemitsu Bakery on Molokai is now here on Oahu! Birleik Devletler. Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop is open Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun. I asked my dad, How come you keep so many samples? George Kanemitsu said. After we ate, we visited the bakery counter and got a couple of sweet treats to take with us for later in the day. Wondering if your carry-on meets size and weight requirements? ");b!=Array.prototype&&b!=Object.prototype&&(b[c]=a.value)},h="undefined"!=typeof window&&window===this?this:"undefined"!=typeof global&&null!=global?global:this,k=["String","prototype","repeat"],l=0;lb||1342177279>>=1)c+=c;return a};q!=p&&null!=q&&g(h,n,{configurable:!0,writable:!0,value:q});var t=this;function u(b,c){var a=b.split(". It was just bread. For more shady photos of this uniquely Molokaiianexperience, check out this GIF: Kanemitsu Bakery is located at 79 Ala Malama Ave, in Kaunakakai, HI. In the past few decades, replcas Ted: The bakery does not offer catamaran tours. The People Who Clean company of Maui generously donated loaves of bread to healthcare workers on Maui! Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Molokai Hot bread!!! Across the waters from Molokai on the island of Maui, where I was raised, little is known or maybe few are telling the secrets about mysterious Molokai. Website. Hot Breads has every treat to please your palette. Every night from around 10pm onwards a steady stream of residents and curious visitors make their way along a dusty alleyway behind the Kanemitsu Bakery. He opted for a glass of water instead. CheeseburgerOnly during the lunch hour at Kanemitsu Bakery, you can get a cheeseburger to remember along with your side of choice. Latest reviews, photos and ratings for Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop at 79 Ala Malama Ave in Kaunakakai - view the menu, hours, phone number, address and map. SO ONO!!! The restaurant accepts credit cards. (e in b)&&0=b[e].o&&a.height>=b[e].m)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b}var C="";u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return C});u("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,c,a,d,e,f){var r=new y(b,c,a,e,f);x=r;d&&w(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){A(r)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://www.everintransit.com/kanemitsu-bakery-molokai-hot-bread/','8Xxa2XQLv9',true,false,'6AjonwgSSc8'); 2,567 Followers, 484 Following, 1,198 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Molokai Hot Bread Maui (@molokaihotbreadmaui) molokaihotbreadmaui. Sprinkle with a little flour. The loaves are split open and slathered with jelly, cream cheese, butter, cinnamon or sugar. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Kanemitsus did not shut down for two days, incurring $90,000 in fines. !b.a.length)for(a+="&ci="+encodeURIComponent(b.a[0]),d=1;d=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.i&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(B())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),c=!0);C=a;if(c){d=b.h;b=b.j;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(r){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(D){}}f&&(f.open("POST",d+(-1==d.indexOf("?")?"? . Photo by Catherine Cluett. Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop has 4 stars. Welcome to the club. Today's breaking news and more in your inbox. After we ate, we visited the bakery counter and got a couple of sweet treats to take with us for later in the day.More, My husband and I stopped here on our way to the airport. Oh what, you guys selling the bread? they asked. Check with the staff to find out the time they will be doing the bread in the alley, each night is different.More, The restaurant was understaffed on the day of our visit -- one waitress and one cook. I assume by catamaran, you are referring to replicas of the twin hulled voyaging canoes used by Polynesians for long distance ocean voygs. It was just bread. The improvement is tremendous [since the permit was suspended], said Peter Oshiro, DOH environmental health program manager, who flew in for the Wednesday inspection. Yes, Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop offers takeout. I asked others how they ate theirs. Molokai Hot Bread, Honolulu. Honolulu Star-Bulletin Features - Hawaii Renovation There are so many thousands of bakeries. 73 photos. CONTACT. The loaves are split open and slathered with jelly, cream cheese, butter, cinnamon or sugar. It was black, freshly-brewed and refreshing. The bakery brings the popular product to the Made in Maui County Festival and often sells out within the first few hours. Verify to immediately update business information, respond to reviews, and more! Havai. Great Breads - Reviews, Photos - Kanemitsu Bakery - Tripadvisor They will not be offering the meals this year, but Poepoe said she anticipates a busy week nonetheless. kanemitsu bakery | The Molokai Dispatch Make sure your information is up to date. Just be sure to grab extra pastries for later or plan to come back for the hot bread with your toppings of choice. interior of the restaurant is plain. Premire tape : Hawa. In the early 1950s, his father nailed down the recipe that the bakery has used ever since. There's so much more we want to try when we visit next: the taro donuts, the pancakes served for breakfast (including taro pancakes) and the evening hot bread! Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop is open Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun. Then, they put down two big circles on the griddle and cook them until fluffy and golden brown. Verify to immediately update business information, respond to reviews, and more! His father, Shigeo Kanemitsu, and uncle Fred Kanemitsu liked to bake for the family, and people in the neighborhood would come over and ask to buy bread, baked fresh in a brick oven. While I totally appreciate the 5-star gesture from PWC Hawaii, the Kanemitsus bread is a 3-star for me. The bread at this 80-year-old establishment is . Knocking on a wooden door, they are rewarded by the night shift baker who hands out fresh bread that is baked with the filling of their choice." The back alley you had to take to get the hot bread for $15 was not worth it. [9], In 2018 the bakery was a semifinalist for the James Beard Foundation Award in the Outstanding Baker category. Claim this business. Kanemitsu Bakery serves a "hot bread" described as a "pillowy loaf" late into the night. The lady taking our order was friendly. 79 Ala Malama Street, Kaunakakai, Molokai, HI +1 808-553-5855 Website. The most popular items at Kanemitsu Bakery include: French ToastIf youd like to start your day out right, you cannot go wrong with an order of French Toast from Kanemitsu Bakery. Refer to my photos) Turn left down a covered driveway/hallway to get to the counter. Refer to my photos) Turn left down a covered driveway/hallway to get to the counter. I especially liked their taro donuts. Well-known only as Hot Bread, this simple treat is fluffy, flavorful, and tantalizingly delicious. The meal would have been better with runny yolks, but the rice was tasty with nice bits of diced BBQ pork in it. . Kanemitsu Bakery in Kaunakakai on the Hawaiian island of Molokai is a bakery known for its baked goods and the "hot bread" served out of its back door at night. My recommendation: cinnamon, cream cheese, and extra butter.Take it home, warm it up, and have an amazing experience akin to the best cinnamon roll you've had. I ordered iced tea which came out right away. What days are Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop open? I simply sliced an end off and spread some strawberry preserve on it. moloka`i {video} true value kanemitsu bakery 'hot bread' rodent droppings in dough kaunakakai's (molokai) 'gay smears' 'ass wipe' hot bread hawai`i governor david ige is totally covering-up the non-stop health violations at kanemitsu bakery. - See 393 traveler reviews, 73 candid photos, and great deals for Kaunakakai, HI, at Tripadvisor. . Kanemitsu's Bakery & Coffee Shop accepts credit cards. It is interesting to read how tourism revenue & unemployment are at a "crippling rate" Aloha neighbors I also live in the west. Theyre slammed every day and they love it.. Beverly Beyette, "It is also in Kaunakakai that the island's most popular nocturnal activity can be found. Posts. Paddlers Restaurant and Bar Our team, everybody thats down there, is at it every day. Theinterior of the restaurant is plain. Get notifications for low fares & special deals. This IS The Place!!! It was a lot of food, and I couldn't finish it all. So good. It was lunch and for the price, considering I was in Hawaii, that is a deal. MULTI, When Was The Last Time You Enjoyed Molokai Hot Bre, Molokai Hot Bread is coming to DOWNTOWN HONOLULU t. Hot bread is a business-within-a-business for Kanemitsu Bakery, founded nearly a century ago by Japanese immigrants and owned by descendants of the Kanemitsu family. I'd ordered my eggs poached easy, but they came out hard. Line up at the back door from 9 p.m. when the bread finishes baking; you can order it with butter, jelly, cinnamon, or cream . We bought the butter rolls, coconut half moon, long John, taro donuts on a stick and of course the Hot Bread. in 70 reviews, Now with Kalaupapa being closed to outside visitors, bread run is about the only "attraction" on Molokai. in 64 reviews, We had 'Da works', which is a combination of several toppings, as well as cinnamon, creme cheese, and butter in 38 reviews. George Kanemitsu said the "hot bread" tradition began some 20 to 30 years ago, when friends would knock on the bakery door after business hours asking to buy bread.