The image, taken seconds after the collapse of the South Tower and captured by photographer Phil Penman, was among some of the most shocking pictures showing survivors helping each other escape the area around Ground Zero. The Mirror writes that this August Capestro married "the love of her life." And according to her, the photographer Phil Penman was with her "on the best day of her life and the worst day of her life." [via FStoppers] FIND THIS INTERESTING? PressReader. Dark flames and thick smoke pour from the Twin Towers after they were both hit by hijacked planes on 9/11. Image courtesy Phil Penman. We are one of the worlds fastest growing }); Joanne Capestro Facebook, Instagram & Twitter on PeekYou Penman eventually donated the photo he captured of Capestro along with others to be displayed inside the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. The couple tied the knot in a beach wedding, and shared photos of the nuptials on Instagram. Recently, news came in that Joanne Capestro married, exactly 17 years after the horrific events witnessed in 2001. Woman seen in iconic 9/11 photo gets the same photographer to - MEAWW She began her descent with several colleagues and reached the street level just as the South Tower collapsed. eventAction: 'view' 9/11 Phil Penman & Joanne Capestro wedding, with extra guests if(document.querySelector("#adunit")){ Moments later the tower collapsed. Pictured above is an image showing people crowding the streets of lower Manhattan while watching the scene unfold, Minutes after escaping onto the street, the North Tower completely collapsed, Capestro recalled. Capestro recalled how she ran down the stairwell as quickly as she could, passing floors where some had been impacted by the plane's striking them while others seemed almost like nothing had happened. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. In the days and weeks after the attack, Capestro said she was so traumatized that she would return to the area to watch the clear-up of Ground Zero and would constantly watch news coverage of the attacks. Joanne Capestro is my neighbor and friend. You know, we had to make face masks. ga('create', 'UA-67136960-15', 'auto', 'ads'); MEAWW brings you the best content from its global team of Three years ago she and Penman met for the first time and stayed in contact; he volunteered to take photographs for Capestro's wedding day on August 11, 2018 She told DailyMail.com: 'Phil was. I contemplated if I should go into the office or not. Just in a picture alone.'. Dolphins Bring Gifts to Humans After Missing Them During the Early Pandemic, Dutch Woman Breaks Track and Field Record That Had Been Unbeaten in 41 Years, Mystery of Garfield Phones Washing Up on a French Beach for 30 Years Is Finally Solved, Study Suggests Body Odor Can Reveal if a Man Is Single or Not, Man Who Was Illiterate at 18 Is Now Youngest Black Professor at Cambridge University at 37, 8-Year-Old Helps Raise Money for His Favorite Waffle House Worker To Buy a Family Car, Santa Fe High School Shooting Survivor Pays Tribute to Fallen Classmates During American Idol Audition, 11 Trailblazing Female Scientists That You Need to Know, Students Raise $270K for 80-Year-Old Custodian Who Came Out of Retirement After His Rent Went Up, Functionally Illiterate Man Teaches Himself To Read and Has BookTok Cheering Him On, Bindi Irwin Honors What Would Have Been Her Late Father Steve Irwins 61st Birthday, Heinz Wants To Buy a New Boat for a Man Who Survived a Month at Sea by Eating Ketchup, Ukrainian Wedding Planner Opens Up About Adapting to War and Still Finding Joy in Life, Dad Takes Toddler Son for a Mani-Pedi After Teacher Says Nail Polish Is Only for Girls, Mom and Son Graduate College Together After Making the Promise Almost 20 Years Ago. },false) She told DailyMail.com it has taken time for her to deal with the trauma of her escape from the 87th floor, running out of the tower to see 'all the jumpers, the blood all over, the dead people' before the South Tower then crashed down around her. On 9/11 she ran down 84 floors in the North Tower to safety, defeating all odds as others died around her. Its reported that three years ago, Joanne and Phil met for the first time and have ever since, kept in touch. And when it comes to the 9/11 tragedy, there may be very few cases of friendships forged amid horror other than that of Joanne Capestro and Phil Penman. But now, 20 years on, Capestro said the horrific experience has given her 'courage and resilience to put my best foot forward every day' and 'wake up with a genuine smile on my face.'. MSNBC and Peacock are part of our parent company, NBCUniversal. let gads_event; ga('ads.send', { 'I love to talk to other survivors as it makes us feel good,' she said. ga('ads.send', { was photographed that day covered head to toe in thick dust and debris as she fled from the World Trade Center with a coworker. 9/11 - JoAnne's Contribution to the National September 11 - Crystalinks Six weeks ago, he was the photographer at my wedding. May 27, 2019 - Joanne Capestro escaped from the Twin Towers and was captured in an iconic photo. Joanne Capestro-Vasquez. Street photographer Phil Penman was on the ground during the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. Others weren't ready earlier to part with the artifacts or wanted to view the museum before entrusting it with cherished, if wrenching, mementoes. pg.acq.push(function() { Seventeen years on, the man who took that picture on the worst . The pair later formally met back in 2015 at the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, where Penmans photo of Capestro was on display. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), When we met, he came into my office and just looked at me and I looked at him and just started crying, she said. 'I would sit at the site and watch them dig the rubble - thats how traumatized I was,' she told DailyMail.com. Save Our History | Joanne Capestro | Commemorating the 20th Anniversary Woman Pictured in Iconic 9/11 Photo Hires Same Photographer for Wedding Then we proceeded to go down the steps and I have to be honest with you, there was nobody coming from upstairs to go. },false) Then aged 39, Capestro worked on the 87th floor of the North Tower as a sales assistant secretary for financial firm the May Davis Group. But the phone rang and he answered, then the plane hit five or six floors above us," Joanne recalled. . She explained that the first plane crashed into her tower about six floors above her office. Covered in toxic dust and debris from the scene, Capestro was captured in a photo taken by acclaimed photographer Phil Penman, who grabbed his camera and rushed to the scene when he found out a plane hit the North Tower. Capestro told DailyMail.com she walked through Lower Manhattan and traveled back to her home in Brooklyn covered in dust and debris. "But once I went in there, and I saw, I said, 'My clothes belong there.' So does Capestro. Previously, JoAnne was a Case Management Coordinator at Center For Read More Contact JoAnne Capestro's Phone Number and Email Last Update 11/23/2022 7:36 PM Email j***@opco.com Engage via Email Contact Number (212) ***-**** Engage via Phone Mobile Number (***) ***-**** Joanne was 39 years old at the time and was working in her office on the 87th floor of the World Trade Centers North Tower moments before the attack took place. Murdaugh is heckled as he leaves court, Mom who lost both sons to fentanyl blasts laughing Biden, Moment teenager crashes into back of lorry after 100mph police race, Family of a 10-month-old baby filmed vaping open up, Hershey's Canada releases HER for SHE bars featuring a trans activist, Ukrainian soldier takes out five tanks with Javelin missiles, Do not sell or share my personal information. She is also a. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected. Joanne Capestro runs barefoot with a colleague from the World Trade Center's North Tower, moments before it collapsed on 9/11. Want to advertise with us? She was captured in the image above on the left by photographer Phil Penman who took dozens of gripping and poignant images of the scene around the Twin Towers, Three years ago, Penman and Capestro were reunited and kept in touch and six weeks ago he served as the photographer at her dream wedding to her husband, Robert Vasquez (pictured together right). Capestro, then 39,was photographed that day covered head to toe in thick dust and debris as she fled from the World Trade Center with a coworker. And it's a bond. We didnt get to exit off the 87th floor until the second plane went into the other building, she recalled. Daily Mail Interestingly, the very same man who'd taken her photo back then captured her once again on the lens. She was covered in toxic dust and debris when she walked out and was photographed by Phil Penman who had grabbed his camera and rushed to the scene. A place for pictures and photographs. }); For Capestro,the memorial at Ground Zero is now a positive place which she goes to spend time in around five or six times a year. A heartwarming tale of friendship, 17 years after the 9/11 tragedy The collision was above where Capestro stood. Phone Number: (347) 497-**** Joanne Anne Capestro, age 60, Brooklyn, NY Background Check Locations: Brooklyn NY Possible Relatives: Christina Capestro, Debra Capestro Sponsored by BeenVerified 'I've accomplished a lot in the last 20 years and I'm still going strong. and our 'It started offas a beautiful day and I took a train with my girlfriend Anna and got off at Cortlandt Street and went up to the building,' she said. 27.4m members in the pics community. Explore the latest videos from hashtags: #joanne_castro, #joannacastro, #canestro, #joannecorpuz . 'I found a great partner who understands who I am - everybody has some sort of past and mine is 9/11,' she said. A woman who was captured in an iconic 9/11 dust-covered photo had the same photographer at her wedding 17 years on. I thought that everybody must have left already from above because I thought it was going to be crowded, when they didnt have a chance to make it out.. Joanne shared that every year she visits the memorial located in lower Manhattan to recognize all those who lost their lives including her coworker Harry Ramos. eventAction: 'render' Another person photographed in such a landscape was Joanne Capestro, who told the Journal that "Everything was white when I opened my eyes, I really thought I had died." Capestro was on the 87 th floor of the North Tower when the plane hit just six floors above. TikTok Introduces 60-Minute Daily Time Limit, Havana Syndrome: The Mysterious Illness Afflicting Diplomats and Intelligence Officers. 'There is a bond among survivors - we're like brothers and sisters and we'll get through it together and always be around for each other.'. Capestro and her colleagues made it out of the building within 22 minutes, in part, by walking down through the one usable stairwell. Catalog; For You; Irish Daily Mirror. Join Facebook to connect with Joanne Vasquez and others you may know. MEAWW is an initialism for Media Entertainment Arts WorldWide. Friends," Penman said. But this meeting wasnt the last time that the photographer and Capestro would see each other. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser. For more information, please see our Six weeks ago, Penman became the photographer at Joanne's wedding. 9. You can find more of his work on his website and Instagram. Joanne-vasquez Lubrigado. As a member, you'll join us in our effort to support the arts. Crystalinks - First Hand Accounts, Prophecy, More, var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? So I said, 'Hmm, I know who's gonna film my wedding.'" Arguably, at the most important date of her life; can there be anything more important than a marriage, Phil was present to capture her on her wedding day. But the phone rang and he answered, then the plane hit five or six floors above us. Woman from iconic 9/11 photo hires the same photographer to capture her Six weeks ago, at her request, he was the photographer at her August 11 wedding. hitType: 'event', After the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11th, 2001, a dust-covered Joanne Capestro was photographed by street photographer Phil Penman as she stumbled away from Ground Zero. She was there on that fateful morning when American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into her office building at 8:46 a.m between floors 93 and 99. However, at no point did she ever feel like fleeing New York City to escape the daily reminder of that day, she said. Living with survivor's guilt was not easy. The museum anticipated and welcomes growth in its collection of over 39,000 objects, photos and oral histories, and officials see the new donations as a vote of confidence. All rights reserved. Phil Penman's iconic 9/11 photo of Joanne Capestro. Celebrating creativity and promoting a positive culture by spotlighting the best sides of humanityfrom the lighthearted and fun to the thought-provoking and enlightening. Capestro, who now lives in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, is happily married, has ninegrandchildren through marriage and is still working on Wall Street in a job she finds 'very rewarding'. Joanne Capestro, meanwhile, was gearing up for another workday in the city. Required fields are marked *, At the aftermath of the 9/11 tragedy, a few friendships were forged rather uniquely. Can there be anything more beautiful than that? Joanne Casapao - Vasquez. That was a regular day for me, when I woke up in the morning I didnt feel well, but I still went to work, Capestro recalled. Now here we are today and six weeks ago, on August 11, he was the photographer at my wedding." A close friendship blossomed after their first meeting. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); There are sad events, there are shocking events; there are tragedies and then, theres the 9/11 tragedy. When Capestro married her fianc Robert Vasquez on August 11, she asked Penman to be her photographer. Capestro with Phil Penman on her wedding day (right). 'I've tried but I can't remember.'. In a heart-touching note that might give some friendship goals, Joanne even mentioned the importance of her friendship with Phil: He was present with me on the best day of my life and also on the worst day of my life. 'When I got to the stairwell no one was coming down from above and we were like "Where is everybody? Now, at the museum, "I know that they're taken care of. Published: 20:28 GMT, 11 September 2018 | Updated: 12:12 GMT, 12 September 2018. THEN AND VOW - PressReader VisitMy Modern Met Media. 'I'm so proud of myself as, 20 years ago, you wouldn't believe you're talking to the same strong woman here now. "Phil was with me. That image was captured by a New York-based Philman and has, since then, gone on to become one of the most iconic images of individuals who emerged unscathed even at the wake of such a tumultuous incident. At 8:46 a.m., a ferocious jolt toppled Capestro from her seat, spilling her tea. She is now happily married with nine grandchildren, still lives in her native New York and still works on Wall Street after 40 years, Capestro with husband Robert Vasquez on their wedding day in 2018 (left). Capestro pictured on her wedding day. Save Our History | Joanne Capestro | Commemorating the 20th Anniversary How a 9/11 photo brought two people together - NBC Capestro, then 39, worked at the World Trade Center, on the 87th floor of the north tower. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Scan this QR code to download the app now. document.querySelector("#ads").addEventListener('click',function(){ hitType: 'event', A museum staff member recognized Capestro in the photo and helped connect her with the photographer. There they stayed until she saw another first responder's awe at spotting his own helmet on display in the museum. While on the call, hijacked American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into the North Tower six floors above Capestros office for the May Davis Group where she was an assistant secretary. pg.acq.push(function() { "Then all of a sudden, you hear this rumble and the building's coming down as I'm shooting.". Three men walk past an entrance to a subway station which has a poster advertising the September 21 release of Denzel Washington's blockbuster hit movie Training Day, The heart-wrenching image above captured by Penman shows emergency personnel and civilians working alongside each other to help the injured near Ground Zero. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. He eventually donated his picture of Joanne tothe National September 11 Memorial & Museum. }); ga('ads.send', { "Phil was with me on the best day of my life and the worst day of my life," Joanne Capestro told the Daily Mirror. Now here we are today and six weeks ago, on August 11, he was the photographer at my wedding. The comments below have been moderated in advance. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, Six weeks ago, he was the photographer at my wedding. A look back at the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. Pictured above is a gripping image captured by Penman showing the North Tower as it collapse and the South Tower still on fire, The September 11th terrorist attacks left 2,996 people dead and more than 6,000 others injured in the United States. Street photographer Phil Penman was on the ground during the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. He always has an open ear for me and I do for him as he was also part of the attack. A news report published in the Daily Mail has also shared the following, in regards to the 9/11 tragedy: Philman spent much of the day taking photos of those who survived the terrorist attacks along with harrowing photos of rescue workers and civilians helping the thousands affected. I thought that everybody must have left already from above because I thought it was going to be crowded when they didnt have a chance to make it out," she recalled. Working Overtime: Do You Have An Exit Strategy? They rushed to a third stairwell that was completely empty at the moment. Six weeks ago he was the photographer at my wedding. (Phil Penman). A survivor contributed her World Trade Center worker ID, dust-coated clothes and the high-heeled shoes she shed going down 87 flights of stairs to safety, items she'd kept boxed in a basement for 13 years. Consider Joanne Capestro. ". "The morning of Sept. 11, I woke up, I wasn't feeling well. var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-7775239-1"); Catalog; For You; Daily Mirror (Northern Ireland) . It's a bond that can't be broken," she added. "What am I going to do with these boots? Now here we are today and six weeks ago, on August 11, he was the photographer at my wedding. What would happen immediately, in the aftermath of the North Tower falling into dust, would be the emergence of an image of a tall, mid-aged woman, feeling lucky- as expected- at having escaped the incident, walking barefoot alongside her coworker, covered completely in dust and rubble. 7 Best Relaxing Video Games To Help You Destress In 2023. You know, we had to make face masks. 'The memorial was so well-made. "For me, looking over the images over the last 20 years, it's kind of helped me deal with it more," Penman reflected. IE 11 is not supported. At this point, Capestro said she had 'no clue' as to the extent of the disaster. "Phil was with me on the best day of my life and the worst day of my life," Joanne Capestro told the Daily Mirror. And on the best day of my life.". window.googletag.cmd.push(function() { Joanne Capestro is my neighbor and friend. She stored them carefully and showed them to me before donating them to the new National September 11 Memorial Museum. try { } Receive our Weekly Newsletter. Seventeen years later, Capestro had Penman photograph her wedding. "My girlfriend yells, 'Joey, Joey,' and I turned around and I saw her and I was like, 'Oh my God, what are we going to do now?'". In the iconic picture, Capestro looks absolutely shell-shocked as she faces the camera, heels and purse in hand. Pictured above are people covered in dust and debris fleeing the horrific scene in lower Manhattan in an image captured by Penman, Lavrov claims Russia 'trying to stop' war 'launched by Ukraine', British man arrested in Colombia with 23 kilos of cocaine in suitcase, Russian troops pound access routes to Ukraine's besieged Bakhmut, Oakeshott: 'I am not getting into a slanging match with Matt Hancock', Ukrainian city of Bakhmut 'practically encircled', says Wagner Chief, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu visits Russian soldiers in Ukraine, Missing hiker buried under snow forces arm out to wave to helicopter, Judge makes damning comments before sentencing Murdaugh for life, California moves closer to paying reparations to black people, Police makes statement after shooting Utah law student dead, Stephen Bear poses for selfies as he arrives at court for sentencing, Mark Gordon arrives at Crawley Police Station after remains found. She explained how two out of three stairwell exits were blocked and damaged as a result of the crash. "The impact was so strong and the building was shaking until all of a sudden it stopped," she continued. 'So I put my best foot forward every day and I wake up with a genuine smile on my face and I just want everyone to keep smiling and love one another,' she told DailyMail.com. That was a regular day for me, when I woke up in the morning I didnt feel well, but I still went to work, Capestro said. Phil Penman's iconic 9/11 photo of Joanne Capestro. ', Capestro said she hopes people will remember how the city and the nation was in the days after 9/11 when people came together to help each other in their darkest hours, Survivors are seen arm in arm and covered head to toe in dust and rubble as they help each other escape from Ground Zero, Plumes of debris and dust billows into the air as the South Tower collapses on the morning of September 11 2001. Capestro even credits the photographer for helping her heal in the traumatic aftermath of 9/11. Now here we are today and six weeks ago, on August 11th, he was the photographer at my wedding. What a strong and beautiful woman. eventAction: 'click_image_ads' Capestro said she 'can't believe it's been 20 years already' as she said she hopes people will remember how the city and the nation was in the days after 9/11 when people came together to help each other in their darkest hours. Speaking to DailyMail.com about her life changing experience that occurred 17 years ago today, Capestro said: Phil and I stayed in touch all of these years. Cookie Notice I'm so pleased that 9/11 family members have been laid to rest in an honorable way. How a 9/11 photo brought 2 strangers together - TODAY.com Visit r/PhotoGIMPs for examples of my work, and stay a while. ga('ads.send', { We had no clue what was going on.'. As reported by DailyMail, Joanne shared, "Phil and I stayed in touch all of these years. As detailed in a blog post by the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, Capestro rushed downstairs after she felt a jolt at 8:46 a.m., just as the first tower was hit. "I'm looking up at the tower and I'm taking these pictures," Penman said. They proceeded to rush to a third stairwell exit which was completely empty. Capestro said he carried her out of the concourse and she recalled thanking him and telling him she would bring him a snack later as a thank you. Joanne Capestro-Vasquez. This bond is especially strong with Penman whophotographed Capestro on her wedding day to husband Robert Vasquez in August 2018. ET and will be available to stream exclusively on Peacock. Years later, a museum curator interested in the photo connected . ", For Capestro, Penman's photo has meant a lot. "All of a sudden, you just start seeing like, the emergence of people kind of walking towards you," Penman said. Image credits: Photographs by Phil Penman and used with permission, Wildlife Photographer Shows How to Fend Off a Lion with Toilet Paper, Wedding Photo Found at Ground Zero After 9/11 Finally Returned to Owner After 13 Years, Unseen Photos of 9/11 Attacks Found in Old Photo Album, This Massive Dust Storm Was Shot from a Fleeing News Helicopter, Great Reads in Photography: September 12, 2021, Hacker Hoodie Blinds Surveillance Cameras with Infrared Light, Why AI Image Generators Cant Get Hands Right, Russian Spy Plane Destroyed Thanks to Civilian Drone, The Exposure Donut for Sony Cameras Simplifies Manual Exposure, Photographer Catches Falcon Hitching a Ride on a Goose. 'I've lived my whole life in New York, my parents came from Little Italy and I didn't want to run away,' she said. ', Now, 20 years on, Capestro said the horrific experience has given her 'courage and resilience to put my best foot forward every day' and 'wake up with a genuine smile on my face', For Capestro, the memorial at Ground Zero is now a positive place which she goes to spend time in around six times a year.