Were going after UBL. Usama (or Osama, as coined by western media) bin Laden. It also made bite training and physical conditioning difficult because Basss paws would get torn up on the concrete and rocky terrain. The unit was able to facilitate the safe extraction and return of all the children. Cairo's partner and handler Will Chesney joins us to discuss his tribute to Cairo as presented in his book "No Ordinary Dog; My Partner From the SEAL Teams to the Bin Laden Raid." Fellow SEAL dog handler Jimmy Hatch was part of Will's inspiration for writing "No Ordinary Dog". Of course, there were some cultural shocks, but the training really prepared us. The first time we took contact from the enemy fighters that night there was no time to give Bass obedience commands or control his movements. I'm asking to use the insignia in order to honor my dog who was a Navy Military Working Dog and to tell my story, which received DoD approval prior to publication, Chesney added. And he was very strong. Of all the visits to hospital and different treatment regimens I tried, the only thing that made me feel any hope at all, was visiting Cairo at the kennels.. Traditionally, K-9 teams are lone rangers, attaching to deployed teams and earning trust on the job. The . Home - Mike Ritland It's likely you and your husband will end up having to attend your share of military funerals as you say goodbye to loved ones and close friends. The hiatus for the pair would be short-lived as, while on a training exercise in Yuma, AZ, Chesney was asked to return to Virginia as soon as possible and collect Cairo on the way. We were on a night mission to take a suspected bomb-making facility. I still miss him every day and I am thrilled to see his name held in such high esteem. Cairo spent a year with Will, his girlfriend Natalie and their two other dogs, Hagen and Sterling before he was diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. The Navy, for its part, says that they never issued a cease and desist letter, but an educational notice meant to make the book publisher aware that they were using a trademarked symbol, according to David Smalley, a spokesman for the Office of Naval Research, which oversees the service's trademarks. Will said: I couldnt believe how much he had been through and how he had bounced back, but it played heavy on my mind that he would carry mental scars from the ordeal he had endured. 'He Took Care of Me, I Took Care of Him': Retired Navy SEAL - CBN News Once we knew he was wounded but still armed Bass was called up. Leap Frogs, the Navy parachute team, spends most of American Sniper by Chris Kyle, Scott McEwen & Jim DeFelice, Seal Team Six by Howard E. Wasdin and Stephen Templin, How Will Naval Special Warfare Fit In With Upcoming Artificial Intelligence as it will Increasingly and Dramatically Improve Systems Across the Defense Department, As Says the Director of the Joint Artificial Intelligence Center. While on a training exercise in Kentucky, Will and his unit from SEAL Team 4 were given the chance to watch the demo of a relatively new program within Navel Special Warfare. I knew this dog would go into the fight with me and that I could trust him with my life. This alone is a scary enough prospect to live with for 9 months out of the year. Authors, Navy, Military, Veteran, PTSD Depression, Pets, Books. Bin Ladens name bounced around the teams. items of the navigation menu have some associated content which may provide additional information of interest. Being married to a Navy SEAL means dealing with the possibility that your husband might not return from a deployment. It certainly wasnt an average day but was extremely rewarding to do something that provided such immediate help and care to those children and their families. is will chesney navy seal married. We had trained for almost every eventuality, but you never truly know your dog until you see him in the fight. "knowing you're going to be out there for more than four hours, wearing a slick black wetsuit and fins that might confuse any hungry shark into thinking he's looking at a seal, rather than a SEAL, it does give you pause.". Then there's dealing with loss. The moment set the tone for their entire marriage: Lavish and full-throttle. Visit our past program archive to explore other moderated conversations and performances held at the 9/11 Memorial Museum. The most famous mission in modern history, a bad ass K9 that accompanied the SEAL team that conducted it, and the operator/handler that took K9 Cairo on that mission. If your husband gets called away at the last minute there's nothing you can do about it. You also need to be prepared to not have any idea where your husband is stationed and when they might return. After a federal tax rate of 22% has been taken out, Navy Seals could expect to have a take-home pay of $68,316/year, with each paycheck equaling approximately $2,847 *. But my health was in bits and my confidence was at an all-time low. Jonathan Yong Kim (born 5 February 1984), also called Jonny Kim, is an American US Navy lieutenant commander (and former SEAL ), physician, and NASA astronaut . It was legitimately special operations, encompassing everything we had trained for, recalls Alex. Marine Raiders are highly trained to execute complex, distributed operations in uncertain environments, achieving silent success and strategic impact. You'll need mental toughness for yourNavy SEAL marriage to survive. After the mission, only one name was made public: Cairo, a Belgian Malinois and military working dog. The rigid, uncomfortable tactical vehicles were less than homely for such journeys, especially as Bass and I would ride in the bed of the trucks for speed of employment to search danger areas along our route. Part of the mission is highlighting that its ok to show vulnerability and to seek help. It feels great to support this community and do something to turn the horrific tide of veteran suicides and give individuals control of their lives again. Alex also sits on the board for US War Dogs Association. MARSOC teams adopted the mantle of Marine Raiders in 2015 in a nod to the Raiders in WWII, trained to make amphibious assaults. Anyone Know which member of the Red Squadron tweeted this or what their Consecutive nights of work meant rest was near non-existent, leaving the team physically exhausted. No Ordinary Dog Quotes by Will Chesney - Goodreads It took several months and a painstaking application process, but Cairo was finally given the Navy nod to be adopted by Will. The life of a Navy SEAL life isn't for everyone. You can use your username or email address to login. Enter the password that accompanies your username. Chesney received a Silver Star and a Purple Heart, and now helps veterans who have suffered traumatic brain injury. The mission, which was swathed in secrecy, even from Chesney, required a reliable and experienced dog team. He was covered in blood and his eyes were slits. Learn about the attacks and their aftermaththrough a host of online resources. My master trainer felt that we would make a better pairing that dog was Bass. Bass a statuesque and striking Belgian Malinois captured Alexs attention straight away. It doesn't take much to Google search books about Navy SEALs, and a lot of them use the trident.. While preparations were made for the secret mission, rumours pulsed around the team. 'Surviving Disaster' host Cade Courtley on leaving Hollywood: I couldn Here's another JSOC naval asset. Because even on the bad days, it's good to remember the benefits, the heritage, the tradition, and those things that are just plain cool about being married to a sailor! In fact, the story of Chesney and Cairo is like any of a man and his beloved dog except the part where the U.S. Navy SEAL and his canine partner helped take out Osama bin Laden in 2011.. Thats a big feeling. A week after graduating from MARSOCs handlers course, Alex and Bass were paired with their new team of operators and would spend six months training with them before going on their first deployment. 2023 National September 11 Memorial & Museum 9/11 MEMORIAL is a registered trademark of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, Two dozen Navy SEALs descended on Osama bin Ladens Abbottabad compound. SEAL Team 6 dog handler, Will Chesney - SOFREP describe something important you have learned recently. Cairo was not easily dissuaded.. Support the show! This is for you, buddy. calderdale council business grants. This The Navy SEALs showed up one by one, wearing hoodies and T-shirts instead of uniforms, to tell investigators what they had seen. When news broke about the role that Navy SEAL, Will Chesney and his K-9, Cairo, played in the hunt for the world's most notorious terrorist, plaudits for their work came from around the globe. James Clark (Lieutenant General Victor H. Krulak, USMC, April 1965. The Everyday Life Being Married to a Navy SEAL Bass and I were moved to work with another team, where we would train for seven months before deploying to Somalia. But as their training was in full swing, tragedy struck MARSOC when a the KC-130 flight to a training exercise ended in disaster. It was almost too much to process and you really dont have the time to deal with the grief. This year, on April 21, Chesney published his memoir,No Ordinary Dog. He squeaked excitedly when I entered the kennels and jumped on my chest to greet me. Former Navy SEAL and Author Willard Chesney Joins CBS SEAL Team Actor Your kids will be able to look up to their father unequivocally. It also took away his quality of life as he succumbed to chronic pain and depression.