We were doing 16 hours on the set, and you had a certain window where you had to sleep. Eminem lost 24lb for the role. Idk he did decent and i think he won them but not by much, what ould have happened is the footage would have gone viral with some cringy title like "white guy embraces the negativity and captures the crowd (emotional". He saw it as a mastery and respect for the power of the word. But I knew what Marshalls favorite battle rap beats were. Not literally in story, but a good fit for him, Peter exclaimed. [29], In February 2023, Latto was nominated for Best New Artist at the Grammy Awards. The film was a big hit as well. And then he starts writing his rebuttal right then and there. We had all been in the scene for a moment. I thought this guy hadnt done a movie in a number of years; this might be interesting to him, and dare I say, a sequel to 8 Mile. Malone: At the Hip Hop Shop, probably 90 percent of the time, it was two winners: It was either Em or Proof. Or, I should say was.. Back then you would lose if you went a cappella. He was a childhood friend of Eminem, who also grew up in Detroit. [6], In 2016, Stephens became a contestant on the Lifetime reality series The Rap Game, produced by Jermaine Dupri and Queen Latifah. The film "8 Mile" depicts one of the most successful caucasian hip-hop artists to ever live battling the scrutiny of trying to make it in a culture and area where he was not always accepted. B Rabbit vs Lotto Rap Battle (HQ) - YouTube MarvWon: I was one of the people that was selected. Miller: It was hype. Every scene in the movie, everywhere [Rabbit] goes, someone reminds him of that failure when he chokes at the beginning. The Story Behind Eminem's '8 Mile' Battle That You Probably - MTV Proof was really kind of the king of battle rapping back then. Theyd build Monday through Friday, and wed come in on Saturday or Sunday. The ongoing feud between the two resulted in diss tracks from both parties with insults about drug use, homosexuality, and past experiences from the show. His Full name is Marshall Bruce Mathers III. Click here to watch Jalen & Jacoby, Grantland Features, and video podcasts. He said his rhymes weren't as good during this drug period because his mind was sluggish. Strike: It was times where the crowd would try to heckle Em. At the time, Eminem was rocking his signature bleach blond hair, but he was asked to dye it back to brown for the movie. He also has absolutely no problem calling himself out, which is evident in 8 Mile. By today's standard of writtens, no they weren't very good (well, maybe the Papa Doc round where he disarmed him would've been fire if it were actually relevant in use). On his next record, Encore, Eminem sounds exhausted, and it feels like a desperate cry for help. Rumors swirled about the costars getting a little too cozy (despite playing mother and son). Currently, he plays Harold Brooks on Love, Victor. [28] Latto was featured on Chloe Bailey's single "For the Night". Both songs were certified platinum and appeared on Latto's debut album Queen of da Souf, which was released in August 2020. She first appeared on American rapper Jermaine Dupri 's reality television series The Rap Game in 2016, where she was known as Miss Mulatto and won the show's first season, but she . Miller: We shot that right after New Years. In real life, neither Eminem nor his friends ever burned a house down. Two of the most renowned filmmakers in Hollywood history wanted to direct Eminems motion picture Danny Boyle and Quentin Tarantino and both of them were incredibly close to getting the gig. No way. Although he was focused on his music career, Eminem was really close to signing on for the lead role in Southpaw back in 2009, but it ended up in Jake Gyllenhaals lap. Latto - Wikipedia I mean, this is Eminem we are talking about. It's been nearly 20 years since Eminem starred in 8 Mile, a sideways take on the rapper's life. Ohhhh! But according to police reports, the paintball didnt even break anything, and Eminem didnt even shoot it; his friend did. Scares on subscription, with these best horror movies on Netflix. In the film, Cheddar Bob is depicted as a dumb but lovable friend who is also an aspiring artist. He needed a movie makeover that required physical changes in order to play the down-and-out Detroit native living in a trailer park. 8 Mile - Pennsylvania State University His first appearance was him, along with his crew, chanting "choke" in front of B-Rabbit crew. Danny Boyle was in early discussions to direct but his vision for the film didn't match Eminem's as well as Curtis Hanson's did. Packed full of people, smoke machine rolling. [22][23], In May 2021, she confirmed in various interviews that she had officially settled on a new stage name, following scrutiny for the racially charged nature of her name. [13] The song samples Gucci's 2007's single, "Freaky Gurl". My purpose was to make him mad. His collaborator and friend widely known as one of D12's members, Proof, was an . Evan Jones (Cheddar Bob): It was the middle of winter in Detroit. Marshall was using it as a weapon. MarvWon: He wasnt supposed to rap against [me]. The film marked the first screen appearance by Anthony Mackie, who plays Papa Doc. Songs That Interpolate 8 Mile: Lotto vs B-Rabbit, Eminem Disses Nick Cannon ("Invitation" Response Parody) byBrentPella (Ft.Dido), Burninghand (Valourian Disstrack) byMiniMessi, This shit overhyped vro ngl (intro) byKaisson, Illmaculate vs Conceited byGrindTime Now (Ft.Conceited & Illmac). Rumor has it that it took him just 30 seconds to write the hook for just lose it. But Eminem is on a whole other level of creativity and talent. His own mother was the first to call him Bunny Rabbit, and since he had buck teeth and big ears, the name kind of just stuck. There was a brief chase, but luckily, Rabbit managed to elude the cops. Lotto is also there to beat up B-Rabbit with his crew because Jimmy has beaten up Wink for having sex with his girl Alex Laterno. Mekhi had his dreads on I know them things was itching. In May 2019, she was invited to perform at the Rolling Loud, an annual hip hop festival, located in Miami, Florida. OnApril 17, ESPN will premiere30 for 30: Bad Boys, a documentary about those unforgettable Pistons teams. Byrd: Em was sick. Eminem vs lotto - Sub Indo [HD] Rap Battle 8 mile - Part 2 In 1995 (the year the movie takes place), the couple had a daughter together. It was gonna be impossible to have them be truly live. However, some of the details are a little iffy. Id written and directed a movie called The Mod Squad, and it was an awful experience, and I couldnt get a job anywhere. Although his career gained him respect, recognition, fame, and wealth, things werent always easy for the aspiring rapper. 8 Mile: Every Freestyle Rap In The Movie, Ranked - ScreenRant Directed by Curtis Hanson Writing Credits ( WGA) Scott Silver . Now, Eminem did, in fact, start off doing rap battles, some held at The Shelter (a real venue in Detroit). His journey to fame was a little different than that of his 8 Mile counterpart, who was far from famous, in 1995. On May 21, she released the second promotional single, "He Say She Say". [33], In May 2019, Latto was arrested for theft when she was mistaken for another woman. During that time, he appeared in films like Imposter, Honey, and Dawn of the Dead, to name just a few. Of course, the star of 8 Mile is Eminem and the most recognizable face in the movie. It had a more down-and-dirty look, a more rough warehouse look than the actual Shelter. This works better than anything I could have dreamed of. That rap was so much better than anything that I wrote. They were messing around, taking turns shooting buildings and signs, until Rabbit (who is driving) took his turn and shot a parked police car. That makes me believe you really don't have a interest in livin! In 8 Mile, B-Rabbit lives in a run-down trailer home with his mother, who has her own set of issues. However, Em managed to work around the rivalry between the heavyweight rappers so that they would both be featured on the 8 Mile album soundtrack. his real name is Jimmy Smith Jr., though we never . However, when Southpaw was eventually made in 2015, Antoine Fuqua was brought on as director and Jake Gyllenhaal, not Eminem, took the lead role. Prints of the film were sent to cinemas labelled as The Mars Project. Eminem: He was getting a reaction from the crowd and I felt like I had to respond. What is surprising is how quickly it picked up such a loyal fan base because when it was first sent out to theaters, the film was under the name The Mars Project in order to keep the project a secret before it was released. You know? In addition to his demanding movie work, Eminem was getting ready to launch 50 Cents career and recording his own album, The Eminem Show. Let me have this!. Eminem - 8 Mile: Lotto vs B-Rabbit Lyrics | Genius Lyrics Lottery Results Online - Lotto.com Do you ever wonder what an 8 Mile sequel would have looked like? As 8 Mile was a reflection of Eminems early days, Southpaw was to be an echo of his struggles at the top. 8 Mile is a semi-autobiographical film that follows Jimmy Smith Jr, a struggling young rapper. 1:00 PM. [9] In June 2019, she released her second extended play, titled Big Latto, which was preceded by "Bitch from da Souf". 8. And if they did, they didnt get caught. 8 Mile Wiki is a FANDOM Movies Community. Danny Boyle was in early discussions to direct but his vision for the film didn't match Eminem's as well as Curtis . Lottery payouts are the way lottery winnings are distributed. Even our energy in the scenes, it felt like something I hadnt done before. Miller: It was a trip. Craig G: I remember it was still called The Untitled Detroit Project. During one famous scene in 8 Mile, B-Rabbit and his buddies drive around with a paintball gun. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information/Your California Privacy Rights/Children's Online Privacy Policy are applicable to you. Another distinguishable difference is Eminems tattoos; he covered them all up for the movie. Unfortunately, Curtis Hanson was not available for interviews because ofrecent medical complications. Few cities have as rich a cultural and sporting history as Detroit. Rosenberg: It was all a hundred percent real. Tha Free World | 8 Mile Wiki | Fandom Eminem: I only had to come up with some of the other rappers lines so that my replies would tie in. People were so excited. 3. It doesnt exist. Do Lotto Winners really exist or is it all a scam to rob citizens of The atmosphere in the rap battles was so intense and went on for so long that several extras passed out or threw up during filming. We would have some more fun for sure, the actor added. All the drama pretty much forced Jimmy into being responsible for raising his younger sibling. But as soon as they yelled action, people were right there. The very talented Kim Basinger did a beautiful job portraying Stephanie, Jimmys mom, in 8 Mile. Appearance Lotto appears frequently with his Free World crew. You think these niggas gon' feel the shit you say? Mali Finn, the casting director, shed go to the clubs at two and three in the morning, and find people with the look. That was one of those rare moments of inspiration: How about Cheddar Bob, this really dumb character, tells him exactly what the guy is gonna say? Lotto is a member of The Leaders Of Tha Free World. Here are 15 things to know about 8 Mile Eminem was asked by director Curtis Hanson to dye his hair back to its natural brown. He is a staff writer for Grantland. At one point during filming, a series of scenes for a planned montage of local rappers competing against Eminem were shot. . They sent me the script and pretty much outlined where they needed rhymes. Plus, Claus doesnt seem nearly as endearing as Cheddar Bob. 8 Mile is a film loosely based on the Eminems life, depicting what its like to be an aspiring artist on the streets of Detroit. Interest-Based Ads. Race and Representation of Eminem in "8 Mile" It was crazy insane. Proof went to him to get the money for that. As we know, that ended up bringing us one of the greatest rap songs of all time, Lose Yourself. Now, thats a behind-the-scenes fact that is terrifying for two reasons. UPDATE: Seth Rogen has revealed that he once auditioned for 8 Mile but ended up not getting the part. [Laughing.] Silver: Obviously, there was no way that I was gonna be able to write rap lyrics for anybody, let alone for Em. It didnt feel actor-y. Although this wasnt Mekhis first acting gig, it was definitely the role that launched him into movie stardom. It was cold outside in Detroit. [3] At the age of ten, Stephens decided to become a rapper and began writing her own rap songs. As it turned out, its an exotic-themed nightclub in Motor City in real life, owned by Marvin Chin. If you ever want to pump yourself up, just play the song. So I just jumped on a bus from New York to Cleveland to Detroit. 8 Mile (2002) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb Lotto is seen again when his crew is in the Parking Lot, heckling the rappers there. Eminem - B-Rabbit v.s Lotto 2nd Battle From 8 Mile Lyrics In preparation for his role, Eminem took things to extreme measures, as always. Much respect to Curtis Hanson he pulled us in the back: If you guys dont get this shit right now, Im gonna remove you out the whole fucking movie. He straightened us out real quick. When you click through the links on our site and make a purchase we may earn a commission. /. Rosenberg: We brought in Craig G to help coach the other battlers and to help them refine and edit their raps to get the right attack, the right potency, as well as to be concise enough. One of his latest roles was an 8-episode stint as Markus Knox on Truth Be Told (2019). [Laughs.] Universal. She was named MTV Global's Push Artist of the Month in February 2021, and won the BET Award for Best New Artist in 2022. First World Lottos Exposed Good on Paper, Shady in Real Life. "Big Energy" won Song of the Year, and 777 was nominated for Hip Hop Album of the Year at the 2022 BET Hip Hop Awards. B-Rabbit almost worked as a hotel bellhop before they settled on the factory. But he showed them, with a critical hit, a box office smash and an Oscar. 8 Mile (2002) - Trivia - IMDb Although he looked just like the Eminem we all know and love, he went through an extreme transformation for the movie. But unless youre a Detroit native, this little detail probably flew over your head. Alyssa Michelle Stephens (born December 22, 1998), professionally known as Latto or Big Latto (formerly known as Mulatto), is an American rapper and singer. It only makes sense to incorporate real rappers in a movie all about rap. Jones: He was just supposed to be mumbling stuff, pretending for the camera. He was a member of the groups 5 Elementz and D12 during his career. Although his hard work and dedication brought the rapper success, acknowledgment, and money, his overwhelming schedule began to take a toll on him. As we mentioned, Mackie went on to have an impressive acting career in Hollywood, and it all started with Slim Shady. Malone inspired by the hip-hop parties he gleefully took in during a brief stint living in New York then opened the Hip Hop Shop, which became the epicenter of Detroit rap. Love the music on 8 Mile? Anthony Mackie (Papa Doc): It was crazy for me because it was my first job. Producing duo Alan and Peter Richie wanted the movie to be a spiritual sequel to 8 Mile. I remember him saying in a magazine interview (I think Vibe magazine), he was doing a ton of pills during 8 mile filming and also around the time of his Encore album. 2014s Something Wicked was the starlets last movie. 12 Behind The Scenes Details You Didn't Know About 8 Mile - ScreenRant Eminem was supposed to play the role of the boxer. I had to leave him how he left Rabbit earlier in the movie. But Em wasnt supposed to talk because his voice was raw. Latto received nominations for Best New Artist, Video For Good, and Best Hip Hop at the 2022 MTV Video Music Awards. She went on to star in hit films like Just Married, Uptown Girls, Sin City, and more. But we mentioned how Eminem dropped a few pounds before taking on this role, but that wasnt the only change. She also portrayed Michelle Knight in the Lifetime movie Cleveland Abduction, based on the real-life story of the Ariel Castro kidnapping. Fenelon: Everyone was encouraged to write their own words a little bit. Jones: Em was always working he always had his headphones on, sitting in a corner with a notepad. 8 Mile can be described or thought of as a semi-autobiographical account of Eminem in a 1995 Detroit setting. Grrrrrrrrr!3. Jones: Malik [Barnhardt, who played Free World member Moochie] hated what I was wearing. This is the most closely contested battle in the movie, but nonetheless B-Rabbit moved on. The first line rebuttal and the finisher were both standout lines, and individual moments counted for so much more back in the freestyle era. If you didnt notice them the first time around, keep your eyes peeled the next time you watch the film. Lotto | 8 Mile Wiki | Fandom Wed be like, Whatever, you the king of the ludicrous lucrative lyrics, you be aiight!. Rap fans perhaps recall Detroit hip-hop collective D12, which Eminem helped make famous. 8 Mile can be described or thought of as a semi-autobiographical account of Eminem in a 1995 Detroit setting. We were freezing our balls off and having so much fun. Silver: Just as an aside [Dr.] Dre was a producer on the movie, and I had to pitch him, too. Plus, it showcases the rappers lyrical genius. Xzibit, another Dr. Dre protg, also made its way into the film. It was not a movie about his life, but he felt connected to it. Every Saturday between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. we would move all the clothes out and open up the floor and let guys battle, Malone says. For some reason, it seemed like he took mine the most personal. When Em battled, Proof wouldnt, and vice versa: They never went at each other. It just felt like we were being.5. [20], In February 2021, it was announced that Latto would be named MTV's Global Push Artist of the month. Her death was caused by a combination of pneumonia, iron deficiency, and multiple drug intoxication and was officially ruled accidental. He was a natural on screen and didnt go unnoticed. Origin 8 Mile Occupation Leader of the "Free World" gang Powers / Skills Intimidation Leadership Firearms Fighting skills Talented rap artist Hobby Rapping and fighting against people Antagonizing Rabbit Goals Beat Rabbit in their rap battle showdown (failed) Crimes Assault Abuse Attempted murder Type of Villain Musical Gang Leader Its all a cappella. We were going to do a rhyme here but any attempt at rapping would have just been mortifying for everyone, so lets just get on with the list shall we? The title was only decided on at the end of filming. The makes sure those number combinations never come up. Miller: They built the set based on the actual place where [Em] and Proof used to do the battles. And you got people saying, Why yall n-s around the white rapper? I got the mark of stitches on my hand to this day that I had from slapping some dude in the face that said, Fuck the white boy. Proof hit him, and he swung, and then I hit him! In real life, baby Marshall also had big ears, but his family referred to him as Mickey (like the mouse) as opposed to calling him Rabbit. Jones: Its funny, some of the best times of my life was in the middle of winter in Detroit. 8 Mile Soundtrack Music - Complete Song List | Tunefind Marshall Mathers has always been the kind of guy to say it how it is, which you can tell just by listening to his lyrics. American singer Mariah Carey appeared on the official remix, which was released in March 2022. Miller: Somebody tried to roast Em! The DJ was crazy. B Rabbit vs Lotto 8 MileCopyright to NBC Universal and Universal Pictures Its like a musical. Needless to say, there were other things going on, other than just filming the movie. The project was preceded by two singles, which were the remix to "Bitch from da Souf" and "Muwop" featuring Gucci Mane; as well as the promotional singles "No Hook" and "He Say She Say". MarvWon: The competitor that he is, you know, he came back at me. The actress continued to act in numerous projects throughout the years, including the films A Lot Like Love and Cold Mountain. When it comes to online information, a lot of facts tend to be false. The film was a financial success, was well received critically, and won an Academy Award for the Best Original Song for Eminem's "Lose Yourself", becoming the first rap song in a movie to win an Academy Award. Spitting out rhymes and such impressive lyrics is definitely not as easy as it looks. Hes acting for the first time, hes basically in every single scene, he was raising his daughter, he had relatives in town, he had to do the soundtrack album, he had to constantly come up with lyrics. I was like, Dont worry about money. She released a new single titled "The Biggest", to go with the announcement of her new name. In July 2020, Latto recreated some of rapper Gucci Mane's album covers, startingwith 2009's The State vs. Radric Davis, to which Gucci reacted positively. Given that the actual verses are written and 8 Mile came out in 2002 when most peoples' freestyles were pretty rough, all of these battles would have been considered classics. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. The whole crowd was going, Ohhh! Strike: I was punch-lining, punch-lining, punch-lining him to death Elvis will start turning in his grave?! It cant just be about, Hey, Im doing it better than him. I wanted to do something different. Imo overall, eminem's rhymes in 8 mile were a bit weak. She was already a huge star before appearing on 8 Miles, thanks to her roles in movies like Batman and L.A. Malone: The style that Eminem had, it was kind of born from that battle-rapping experience in Detroit. Eminems signature song, Lose Yourself, was written during his breaks on the set of 8 Mile. One of the greatest things about Eminem, and why everyone gravitates toward him, is that hes not shy about calling anyone out, even himself. In order to truly appreciate Rabbits rap battle victory, audiences first watch him choke and lose a battle. It was like Rocky or something. Their love story is a little bit different than the one depicted on screen. In 8 Mile, he meets his love interest, Alex (played by Brittany Murphy), at work. When we started, I didnt really have no lines. This is who I am. And I like that, at the end, he goes back to work. I feel like I could get Alzheimers and still remember this experience. Everybody knew each other. I wrote the lyrics and faxed them over. For the most part, it was a real battle, and it was set up that way. Eminem portrays the character as it was based on him. Silver: The challenge with any sports movie is, whats that last competition gonna be? Only person he beat was Papa Doc. Yikes! The best Netflix movies right now - fantastic movies to stream. Typically, lotteries pay out around 50-70% of stakes (turnover) back to players. Differing directors. Isn't that Eminem rapping? Marshall Mathers got his rap moniker in a pretty simple way, from his initials, M.M., or more famously, Eminem. So helpful throughout the process. Latto. However, Em found his workaround to make the two rap heavyweights appear in the movie's album soundtrack. Eminem was so busy while working on 8 Mile that he had to write the songs for the movie in between the takes and scenes he was shooting. 8 Mile is a 2002 American hip-hop drama film, directed by Curtis Hanson and starring Eminem, Kim Basinger, Brittany Murphy and Mekhi Phifer. Eminem portrays the character as it was based on him. He would come over, and get this look in his face, and he would stare at you for a minute when we would get it wrong, we definitely knew. Responsible Gambling. Discussion, Battles and Media for the international battlerap community, Press J to jump to the feed. So I took my own life experience as a failure, and I used that. Growing up with a drug addict for a mother in a dangerous neighborhood, Eminem never felt safe at home and spent his time rap battling on the streets. that makes me believe you really dont have an intrest to live in. For some reason, some of the others mics were on and they started going at me in front of the crowd. All the previous three months, he would say he didnt know if he was gonna have it. They couldnt shoot the final battle of 8 Mile at The Shelter (Eminems original club). Fantastic films from the 80s, an amazing decade of movies. She attended Lovejoy High School in Clayton County, Georgia. Jones: I think Em kind of came up with a lot of his stuff last-second. Yo, it's time to get rid of this coward right here once and for all, Yo, I'll spit a racial slur, honky, sue me, The shit is a horror flick, but the black guy doesn't die in this movie, That makes me believe you really don't have an interest in livin'.