Among the best factors of the quality and cost of a portable basketball hoop is the kind of product the backboard is constructed of. They are easier to cut straight with a handheld saw, using a guide (considering you dont have one of those fancy huge table saws). A backboard 44 inches wide has a height of 29 inches, and a 48 inches backboard is 30 inches high. To make the sport simpler and accessible to everybody anywhere, this post evaluates essential credit to consider when picking the best portable basketball hoop for your household. NBA regulation. 22. A lot of portable basketball hoops determine 42 -44 large x 36 tall. Classic way - Using a mounting bracket 2. Rims are made from steel and are 18 in size. Dripex Portable 10ft Basketball Backboard Hoop Net Set Professional Outdoor Basketball Stand with Wheels for Adults and Children,Adjustable High 2.3M-3.05M 4.5 out of 5 stars 250 1 offer from 139.99 I already had both colors in the shop, as I had already done other projects using these colors. 4. Have your helpers help you set the backboard in place on the frame before the adhesive dries. Buying Guide | Hedstrom Over The Door Basketball Hoop Set, Blue's Clues Share this information with your friends and help them too. When I was a kid (about 10 years old) my old man built a board from wood (see it here). 5. This way, the edges will have twice the layers, giving the backboard a much better resistance outside. If you want to paint the lines on your backboard, you will need some masking tape. Make sure the rectangle inside is not on the edge. Genki 1.7-2.3m Height Adjustable Net Ring Backboard Basketball Hoop Stand System (1) Total ratings 1. follow the instructions for your adhesive to let it dry the proper amount of time. Your email address will not be published. For example, the shape we need for a replacement Lifetime backboard to match is round; 3.5 inches in diameter. SPONSORED Use screws to adjust the backboard against the bracket holes. The NBA league use tempered glass and follow the regulation size of a backboard. Depending upon which replacement basketball backboards for portable basketball hoops youre planning to replace, the price range can indeed differ. How to Make Your Own Plexiglass Backboard - Pinterest No matter what type of plywood you are using, it is a good advice to apply filler on the edges too, since there are always small pores that will result in bad looking paint. The Dear Basketball is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If you want to have some fun you can paint any design you want and use any colors on your backboard. Anyway, the following are the steps that I used to replace my backboard. Other Things to Consider When Building a DIY Basketball Backboard, Wrapping Things Up: How to Make a Basketball Backboard by Yourself. Step 6: Remove the old backboard material. Thats it; you have successfully replaced the backboard of your basketball hoop. Red Pepper & Goat Cheese Pasta, Doughnuts from Refrigerated Biscuits (Four Ingredients! We didnt want a panel with simple straight corners. Now, caulk all the remaining seams and screw holes for a perfect seamless look. Otherwise, you may have to pay a visit to the hospitals. It has weather-resistant resin overlay bonded to the wood by heat and pressure. When and Why Did the NBA Switch from Spalding to Wilson? After the filler dried, I sanded the panel again, using 280 grit sandpaper. Could use some advice with fixing basketball backboard. Polycarbonate is durable enough to handle bad weather conditions. You can also mark the accurate place of the hole to make things easier for you. if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'hoopsaddict_com-leader-4','ezslot_10',179,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-hoopsaddict_com-leader-4-0'); if(typeof ez_ad_units != 'undefined'){ez_ad_units.push([[250,250],'hoopsaddict_com-mobile-leaderboard-1','ezslot_11',171,'0','0'])};__ez_fad_position('div-gpt-ad-hoopsaddict_com-mobile-leaderboard-1-0');12. What Size Basketball Should a Youth Player Use. Any ideas anyone?. If you need more information to help you decide which basketball backboard is best for you, contact Grand Slam on 1800 773 461 or sales@grand-slam.com.au. We used 120 grit sandpaper on a belt sander for both the faces and the edges. Avoid using long screws on the edge, as it can break the part. X. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. The durability of steel is the same as polycarbonate and acrylic. Firstly, you have to measure the exact distance from one hole to another. While replacing the backboard of your basketball rim, it is crucial to follow some important things. With your helpers, line up the rim, put the bolts through the holes and tighten them nice and snug. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Please use caution! Lifetime Height Adjustable Portable Basketball Hoop (52" Polycarbonate Backboard) by Lifetime. Asking Moms: How Do You Mother with Chronic Pain or Longterm Illness? Use your screwdriver or power drill to detach the damaged board from the frame. Equipped with roller wheels, making it easy to move to another play . Why Is There A Net On The Basketball Hoop? Basketball Hoops for sale | Shop with Afterpay | eBay AU Cut an additional 2 x 8 piece 12 inches long. Polycarbonate is even stronger than acrylic. You should try to keep as close as possible to standard sizes, which you can find by searching online. Measure what is left of your existing backboard or the frame where the backboard is attached. Knowledge about the material goes a long way in meeting your expectations and matching your needs. Your email address will not be published. Looks great! How would you make a basketball backboard? - Sawmill Creek If you are still confused, you can ask through the comment section below. BUT the new (really heavy) metal backboard unsurprisingly proved difficult to lift up 13 feet in the air for an extended period of time. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. It will help you to hold the base at a stable position at the time of attaching the new backboard. Use a level to make sure it's 100 percent even. Everfit 3.05 Metre Adjustable Basketball Hoop Stand System - Red Paint the edge of the acrylic material and a square around the hoop space for aiming. How To Install A Basketball Backboard To A Pole | Sportszpro Step 1: Lay the basketball goal on its side. Sand faces of backboard. If you have such a piece, it suits just right. Then detach it from the hoop. I didnt use two parts filler anymore because the small holes and cracks need a longer time to fill in properly and the filler would have hardened too quickly. Theres hardly a person who hasnt shot hoops growing up. 39" x 54" Fiberglass. According to Huffy, almost 80% of basketball goals bought today are portable systems. Theres hardly a person who hasnt shot hoops growing up. For security reasons, ensure the shims dont stick out from under the base. Then, on the side of the 2 x 8 opposite the bracket, I used a spade bit to make recesses where the heads of the bolts could sink under the surface of the 2 x 8. Replacement Basketball Backboards and Info - Lifetime & Spalding Hoops Never-Miss Basketball Hoop | DIY Basketball Hoop - Popular Mechanics Awesome! This includes ceiling-mounted, wall-mounted, portable and outdoor basketball backstop models, backboards models, rims, protective padding and other accessories. ITS BEEN REALLY FUN to shoot around and our backyard looks much more normal with something attached to that pole. But the longest 3-point shot in NBA history is owned by Baron Davis from the Charlotte Hornets. Basketball Backboard Replacement and Upgrades - American Super Sports As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. The hassle-free benefits of the tempered glasses that last for years is really worth the money. Cut the corners round, if you want a backboard with rounded corners Sand all surfaces and edges of the plywood board Apply two parts wood putty into the holes and cracks Sand the backboard again Painting the basketball backboard First layer of paint The second layer of paint The third layer of paint Tracing the lines on the basketball backboard Measure what is left of your existing backboard or the frame where the backboard is attached. They cost a lot less than an expert-sized backboard. There are also kits you can buy on Amazon that can mount it to the ground and give more stability or you can also build a brace that holds it to the ground which is what I did with mine and now I dont have to ever worry about the wind blowing it over again. Previous. After the filler dried, I sanded the panel again. The tempered glass fits serious players for excellent results, acrylic works best for family fun, and a DIY basketball backboard made of wood for those who want to save money. Here are the details about the outdoor basketball backboard replacement. Without accurate measurement, you wont be able to make the backboard fit on the fit with the basketball hoop. 2. Don't rush; make sure to do this gently since you might break them during the process. Dont forget to use the construction adhesive and long screws, that can hold the backboard firmly in its place. You can also sand the corners to slightly round them. Ask the repair team to help you lay the backboard on the ground so you can work on the replacement board. Standard Basketball Net Hoop Rim Hoop Goal Replacement Heavy Duty Mesh 12 Loops. If the hoop is not already on its' side from being knocked down, get your helper (s) to help you lay it on the ground so you can work on it. It can last for long periods of time with regular use. Lifetime 50" Basketball System | Other Sports & Fitness | Gumtree No need to worry though; it just adds one more step. Basketball Backboards | Anthem Sports That painted square focused above the hoop on a basketball backboard is more than design. Hook 47" Polycarbonate Basketball Backboard/Ring/Rim/Hoop Sport/Training. Practicing on a regulation backboard will show young hoopsters where to aim their shots and how the ball bounces on the backboard. You can use them indoors, in your room or lounge. The Crank Adjust height adjustment mechanism easily adjusts from 7.5 to 10 ft. high in . Each of your purchases via our Amazon affiliation links supports our cause at no additional cost to you. I clamped the long 2 x 8 to the bracket, centering it in both directions. Basketball Equipment. I chose this shade of gray as I had some paint left from a different project. Now, it is time to share with you the process of replacing your backboard. Spread construction adhesive on the front of the frame. DIY: Replacing a basketball backboard - Plasticsheetsshop.co.uk So, you have to make the purchase of your backboard based on the size of the mounting brackets. Tempered glass is less durable than acrylic or polycarbonate, as demonstrated by the NBA breakers of backboards, but innovation made it sturdier and safe. I'm the owner and creator of the Hooption website and a basketball lunatic! DIY Basketball Parts & Plexiglass Replacement - Champs Hoops We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. So, please pay attention to this crucial factor and dont select a heavier backboard for your portable rim. Make it flush with the top for square backboards or slightly below the top for rounded backboards. Their tiny frame lacks the power to heave the ball to a rim 10 feet high; lowering the height to 6 feet helps them develop their shooting form as they progress to a higher rim. Plexiglass is a weather condition-resistant option to standard plywood basketball backboards. Add To Cart. Alternative way - Using wooden frames Many roof-mounted basketball hoops adjust up to four and a half feet in height with the application of slide mechanisms and nut-and-bolt lock-downs. It is 5-10 times stronger than standard glass and provides High-quality performance and rebound. The height of medium size backboards ranges from 30 to 34 inches. Dont worry; it is not that hard, and you wont have to hire any professionals if you follow these rules accordingly. Buying 42 x 72 backboards might be expensive for your budget. After testing it for some time, I havent been able to tell the difference in bounce between our hoop and a nice indoor one. They can move forward to a more extensive basketball system as they develop their basketball skills. With a diverse and substantial range of hoops available, it often ends up being mind-boggling for people to decide which system is well for their requirements. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". BUILDING A DIY BASKETBALL BACKBOARD - Rachel Schultz Hooption.comis a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com. There are two reasons for doing this: I wiped the plywood panel with a soft cloth to remove all the dust remaining after sanding. Professional leagues do not use these backboards and are seen in public spaces or parks. STEAM@Home: Make Your Own Basketball Hoop! | Find It Cambridge Step 8: Spread adhesive on the backboard frame. Now, clamp the backboard on the backboard at an appropriate height. The metal material makes steel backboards noisy from the balls impact and has low bounce and rebound performance. Today most expert backboards are made of glass backboard so that they will not block the audiences view, although the majority of non-professional backboards are made from something that might block the audiences view, such as objectives at parks or on streets. First Team 36" x 60" Framed Acrylic Basketball Backboard with H-Frame. In this case, if you forcefully add more weight, there is a high possibility that it may break down. The metal material makes steel backboards noisy from the balls impact and has low bounce and rebound performance. Plastic Basketball Backboard Hoop Mini Netball Board Box Net Set Children Toys . of weight) and drill four holes into the wall or whatever area you've chosen to mount the basketball backboard. That made us give up and not paint the panel, leaving it as it was: full of concrete leftovers and all kinds of holes in it. Free postage. You can also mount our Lifetime backboards to a roof, pole, or wall with the Lifetime Universal Mounting Kit. The rebound performance is mediocre because of its extra vibration. Then I drilled holes through the 2 x 8 and attached it to the bracket using bolts, nuts, and lock washers. First of all, you have to lay down your basketball hoop on the ground. We used a recycled plywood piece (the type used for concrete formwork). the surface has to be as smooth as possible when applying the first layer of paint, lightly traced the lines using a ruler and a pencil, put the painter tape using the pencil lines as guides, for the rounded corners I used different objects available on hand, I wanted our basketball backboard to be different than the ones available in the stores, we really like the gray yellow color combination. If you have pieces of the old backboard left, use this as a stencil to mark the location of the holes for the rim. An extremely efficient and durable basketball hoop that will not shatter or break. Backboard: A basketball hoop's backboard is a big deal. In this case, you may ask for a professionals help because if you somehow mess with the size, you may have to spend some additional money. The size of the backboard on a basketball hoop can affect the shot opportunities into the hoop, and generally bigger is better here. But, in some cases, I choose to do this both because it gives the project a much better resistance and because I had to cover the putty applied after the first two layers. Amazon.com: Basketball Replacement Backboard [Read More] Our Price: $269.99 [ Add to Cart ] Spalding Basketball Backboard and Rim Combo . How to Repair a Basketball Backboard on Your Own Even more recently, the whole basketball technique was redesigned when bigger-sized players became the ability to take apart the entire hoop and backboard method, producing a security threat not simply to themselves, but the gamers and spectators around them. 10-Year Limited Warranty. It will be exciting to see exactly what changes the sport continues to make to the equipment as innovation advances. Make sure to follow the suggestions so that you can obtain the right value for your investment. A see-through backboard for the hoop is both practical and appealing. Determine which way the system is leaning and include shims underneath the side of the base that is too low. Add To Cart. This makes them more susceptible to sun and weather damage and after lots of use they can begin to crack or even shatter. Can you send me pictures of the back of the backboard?.to see how you attached it securely. If using plywood, I would suggest using inch thick or less plywood. Keep checking until it starts melting. Spalding replacement basketball glass Backboard panel 54x 32 Original from the beast set Pick up at Ocean Reef No holdings , 1309222986 Keeping our community safe COVID-19 Safety Precautions Cars & Vehicles And that too, with lower performance and compromised rebound with mediocre quality. Again if you make it too thick, your hoops is likely to tip over due to it being top-heavy. The box should be equally spaced from the sides of the backboard and a 2 (5 cm) clearance from the bottom for hoop installation. Caulk remaining screw holes and seams. Can You Make Your Own Basketball Backboard? A regulation size backboard can be inexpensive to make, but does require the . As an Amazon Associate, we earn affiliate commissions from qualifying purchases. The Y-bracket of the hoop consists of 2 parts. The Spalding system may differ from one another. First Team Premium Competition Breakaway Basketball Rim - 5 x 5 and 4 x 5 Mount. FIBA, WNBA, NCAA, WNCAA, and other International Basketball Federation leagues apply the same regulations. The regulation size of the backboard is 72 inches wide and 42 inches long. Make sure your basketball pole is already set up. Step ONE - Creating the Wood Backboard for the DIY Basketball Hoop Step TWO - Painting the White Square on the Wood Backboard Step THREE - Securing the Basketball Hoop Wood Backboard to the Wall Step FOUR - Attaching the Hoop to our DIY Wood Basketball Hoop Backboard See our Home Gym & Exercise Room with our DIY Wood Basketball Hoop (here) You can customize it and make a size that fits your area. A#K Plastic Basketball Backboard Hoop Mini Netball Board Box Net Set The next part, mounting, will vary depending on how youre putting up your backboard, but our existing pole was set up so we were attaching our backboard to a flat rectangular piece of metal (Ill call this the bracket) with four large holes at the corners. Generally, the mounting brackets of a backboard are 52 inches. It is a cost-effective backboard material that offers almost as much performance as tempered glass while being more durable. If your frame wont accept that full thickness the rear layer could be stepped back to accommodate it. After tracing all the lines with painter tape, I used a fine brush and bright yellow paint to draw them. Fans often see Steph Curry make spectacular three-point shots beyond the arc. Wear safety goggles when sawing. Use 4-6 screws, power drill with Philips bit and then place on the backboard to the 4"X4". If there are no holes in the corner, drill them before mounting the backboard. $50.00 coupon applied at checkout Save $50.00 with coupon. Shane Wighton, an engineer from Raleigh, North Carolina, stepped up to that challenge by designing and fabricating his own basketball backboard that guides the ball in the hoop every single. If you are using plywood, secure the backboard by using a drill or screwdriver to attach the wood screws through the holes in the back of the backboard frame and into the backboard. check out our other basketball FAQ articles here. That said, before we make any homemade basketball backboard plans, it is also important for you to know what tools, and accessories you will need for the project. PLEASE Keep in mind that portable hoops are designed for a specific backboard weight. Before replacing the basketball backyard, you need to learn about the specifications properly. But the diy backboard has many advantages: So, these are the steps we took to make this great looking basketball backboard: Try to decide on a size based on the following factors: age (or height) of the players, the place where it will be put and your own personal preferences. 10-Year Limited Warranty. 6pcs/set Universal Fix Zipper Repair Kit Replacement Zip Slider(Half black) (#225422814795) . If you are using acrylic for your backboard you can skip this step. Use nuts, bolts, lock washers, and screws to secure the backboard on the bracket. Leave enough room to attach the rim perfectly. How to make angled tapered legs for mid-century furniture, Clean the large concrete left overs using a wire brush and a hammer, Cut the plywood panel with the circular saw, Cut the corners round, if you want a backboard with rounded corners, Sand all surfaces and edges of the plywood board, Apply two parts wood putty into the holes and cracks, Tracing the lines on the basketball backboard, Installing the basketball hoop on the backboard, a piece of steel to make the hoop bracket, a big piece of formwork plywood that was left after pouring some concrete, its a nice project you can do together with the kids, its much cheaper than a sports gear store bought one, you can choose the size to fit your needs (even though it would be best to try to stick to standard sizes), you can paint it in any color you want (or any color you have), clean the large concrete left overs using a wire brush, since it wasnt bought cut to size, we used a circular saw to size it properly, fill in the holes and cracks using wood putty.