Thevote theOklahoma Supreme Court later said violated the state's Open Meeting Actlargely led to the formation of grassroots group Unite Norman and misleading allegations that the council voted to "defund the police. Previously, he served the citizens of Norman with seventeen years of service as an employee of the City of Norman. Breea Clark is originally from Wichita, Kansas, where she graduated with her B.A. Clark said the election was not about her nor was it about her opponent it was about improving Norman. OU women's gymnastics: Trautman's 10 helps Soon, Paramedic reunites with tornado victim family, Train ride home turns unusual for county commis, By Mindy Ragan Wood | Transcript Staff Writer, Digging out: Tornado damages home, downs power lines; minor injuries reported, Maverick's brings dive bar feel to Campus Corner, Norman man charged with murder in Lake Thunderbird case, Cleveland County Sheriff's Office identifies inmate who hanged himself, Judge sides with homebuilder in lawsuit against city, Southern Baptists oust Saddleback Church over woman pastor, Cleveland County Detention Center inmate hangs himself, Tornado Coverage: Highway 9 reopening among second day developments. (Kyle Phillips / The Transcript). Breea Clark - University of Oklahoma "We're still in the middle of this crisis,and there's no one better equipped to keep us going forward in our recovery,with an optimistic view to the future," Clark said. (They asked), Why would you want the progress youve made to be undone, Clark said. In the Norman community, she served on the Norman City Council from 2016-2019 representing Ward 6 in NE Norman and currently serves as its first Millennial Mayor. As the current Director of the JCPenney Leadership Center, she advises the JCPenney Leadership Program and teaches leadership courses and Passport to Success workshops. Funding the project has been. Midway Bob Thompson swept up 18.90% of the votes, while Nicole Kish gained 12.50%; Alice Stephenson-Leuck obtained 0.14% of votes. e-mail: mayor@NormanOK.gov, Vital Information: Mayoral and city council elections will take place Tuesday, Feb. 8. Specifically, Clark said she aims to produce long-term facilities solutions for Normans homeless population, pass a stormwater utility for Norman and bolster local infrastructure. Ryan Walters to retain secretary role, draw 2 paychecks. racist or sexually-oriented language. Former Mayor Breea Clark - facebook.com (Kyle Phillips / The Transcript). Asked if she still has concerns about election integrity or if she has faith in the 2020 presidential election results, Kish said polling shows people across the country have concerns about election integrity. Candidate for Norman mayor hypes morals, oil, war bonds - NonDoc Theyve taken the force from 180 to 150, and their salaries are really low. Citizen efforts to force a recall election of Norman Mayor Breea Clark have fallen short, yet the recall effort also showed broad public displeasure with Clark's performance. Norman residentCasey Holcombrecently filed a lawsuit against Hickman on the grounds of free speech violations. The City Charter dictates that if no candidate receives more than 50% of the vote, candidates who receive the most votes will face an April runoff. Mayor, City of Norman, Oklahoma, 2019-present. . You have permission to edit this article. 2. On campus, she has served on the Universitys Legal Panel, Speakers Bureau, and the Committee on Discrimination and Harassment. She also supported the city council ordinance requiring masks in public. Breea Clark | WhitbeckBennett In the culmination of two years worth of debate over city leadership, Larry Heikkila defeated incumbent Norman Mayor Breea Clark in todays runoff election, which featured significantly more turnout than the citys 2019 race. She addressed her relationship with the university in an interview with NonDoc. The two candidates made their cases to voters in a final push to get out the vote. Long-term maintenance and staffing of such facilities could pose an obstacle for the city, Clark said. accounts, the history behind an article. Part of that solution should involve more collaboration between rural and urban Normanites, she added. Thompson said he jumped into the mayoral race because he figured the only way to stop the political divisiveness inNorman was a change in leadership. Don't knowingly lie about anyone It appears, for now, that voters wanted someone from the establishment on both sides. The money should instead be used to fund the city's "essential needs," she said. As mayor, he said he would deliver on projects people had voted for. Saying she couldnt previously support the status quo of policing in Norman, Clark defended her vote nearly two years ago to cut $865,000, or 3.6%, from thedepartments proposed budget request that sought a funding increase. After withstanding a recall attempt in 2020 and coming under fire from some residents for her handling of the COVID-19 pandemic, Clark, a Democrat,is vying for a second three-year term on the nine-member city council. Affordable housing and homelessness solutions would be prioritized with further federal aid dollars if she is elected to a second term, Clark said. Some political observers viewed those results as Heikkila having momentum. The conservative candidatehas been criticized for being in Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6, 2021, for a rally led by former President Donald Trump, although Kish says she was nowhere near the U.S. Capitol when a pro-Trump mob stormed the building. Breea Clark is the 60th Mayor for the City of Norman. Political Experience keyboard_arrow_down. [1] Recall organizers submitted enough signatures to put the recall election against Councilwoman Petrone on the ballot. Address: 307 W. Brooks Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge. Clear skies. in Political Science from Wichita State University in 2005. or anything. "For example, our current Mayor and Council have dedicated City resources for the welfare of the transient population, which has become a detriment to the City, our citizens and local businesses.". Dunn acknowledged that selling war bonds might not generate the revenue of stormwater utility bonds, but called it a first step in finding some financing. Sorry, there are no recent results for popular commented articles. During her tenure as mayor, the Norman City Council allocated CARES Act funding to local businesses and vaccine distribution. Im thankful for Maricha and my family, as well as the many friends and volunteers who have supported me.. Thats not who we are. Its hard to focus on my professional career when the City of Norman requires so much attention. She was endorsed by Sallys List and the Red Earth Group, Normans Sierra Club affiliate. One of her top issues is addressinghomelessness. He began his quest to become Normans mayor amid a crowded field of five candidates that took part in Februarys general election. Low near 40F. After a decade of service in that office, I . He moved to Norman in 1978 and was a longtime City of Norman employee who now sits on several Cleveland County citizen boards. "I think our next mayor needs to be able to steer us from … the waters of calamity into the sea of reason," he said. We need someone who can bring us together moving forward.. Heikkila received 53.39% of the votes, beating incumbent Breea Clark. Breea Clark, the current Norman Ward 6 council member, works as the director of the J.C. Penney Leadership Program at the University of Oklahomas Michael F. Price College of Business. On campus, she has served on the Universitys Legal Panel, Speakers Bureau and as an interim Pre-Law Club Advisor. E.W. One group, Unite Norman, attempted to recall Clark later that year, falling short of the required number of signatures required to trigger a recall election. Votes . In 2019, propositions for stormwater utility bond projects and a stormwater utility fee received 42.62 percent and 39.68 percent yes votes, respectively. I am not at all in favor of it, Dunn said. On Tuesday, the total ballooned to more than 24,000. Analysis Efforts in Norman, Oklahoma, to recall Mayor Breea Clark and councilmembers Kate Bierman, Alison Petrone, Sereta Wilson, and Stephen Holmam were initiated in July 2020. Breea Clark (@clarkfornorman) / Twitter #okwx #texomawx. For accessibility assistance please contact the ADA Technician at 405-366-5424. It is vividly clear that she inclines toward the democratic party. Breea serves as the Mayor of Norman, the 3rd largest city in the state of Oklahoma. I will do everything I can in power to support mayor-elect Heikkila, she said to a crowd of supporters. A Democrat,Thompson, 65, aims to get national politics out of local politics, create harmony among the city council and bring civility and collaboration to municipal governing, whichhe says should remain nonpartisan. Phone: 405-366-5402 Norman, OK 73070. Theres no room for political ideology or political party in local government, because were not tackling issues like abortion or gun rights. In the end, Clark survived the recall effort but could not prevail against Heikkila. Eventually, her supporters in city government and the community at-large led her to reconsider. 80 talking about this. After nearly deciding she would surrender the mayorship after a single term, Clark said support shes received from community leadership inspired her to run again. Cloudflare Ray ID: 7a27ac526b8852e3 I want you to know that I felt like I was the best person for the job, and Norman residents decided otherwise, and I will handle that, she said before congratulating Heikkila on his victory. Address: 307 W. Brooks. As a first-time candidate and a businesswoman not a politician I am proud of the race that we ran. Breea Clark - Director, JCPenney Leadership Program - LinkedIn In his campaign announcement, Heikkila chided the council for its focuson addressing homelessness. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. I think accountability is always good, and voter education. Breea Clark, Larry Heikkila make final cases to voters ahead of Norman mayoral runoff election Ari Fife, senior news reporter Apr 3, 2022 Updated Apr 4, 2022 0 Mayoral incumbent Breea. Funding the project has been a lengthy processfeaturingmultiple failed proposals. "Everyone who ran entered the mayoral race had one central goal, and that was to improve the City of Norman. To achieve this transformation, the management of it must be pragmatic, productive and visionary, and must redefine Norman into a city of excellence. Sign up now to get our FREE breaking news coverage delivered right to your inbox. I believe its a citizen-based solution to a city-wide problem.. Her mayoral tenure became defined largely by the coronavirus pandemic and nationwide policing debate. The Voter's Self Defense System - Vote Smart She represented her city in the 4th class of the Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership initiative and is currently a fellow in the VV Engage Global Fellowship with Vital Voices. Here's how they could affect voters in future elections. Its all around our city, Clark said. Bill Hickman, the current Norman Ward 4 council member, works as an attorney and small-business owner. Clark encouraged Norman residents to address the citys challenges and to shop local, regardless of whomever has the job. Dunn advocated for a Ward-by-Ward, door-by-door approach to inform people of oils value. Low near 40F. Previously, Blake has served as an intern reporter, senior news reporter, summer news editor and news managing editor. Larry Heikkila celebrates winning Norman mayoral race, Breea Clark In-person absentee voting takes place Thursday and Friday, Feb. 3-4. Fighting for the mayoral position of Norman, Oklahoma, Heikkila got around 53% of the total votes which was around 1600 more than what Clark got. The 2020 presidential election spurred a wave of voting laws that some say could restrict access to the polls. Recall effort highlights Norman mayor's unpopularity - Oklahoma Council Norman remains the largest city in Oklahoma without a dedicated stormwater utility. NORMAN, Okla. (AP) Former Norman safety manager Larry Heikkila defeated incumbent Breea Clark on Tuesday in the race to be mayor of Oklahoma's third-largest city. Ultimately, despite what many have characterized as a year of polarizing local politics, Clark said she is grateful more Normanites have been interested in local participation. E-mail: breea@ou.edu. 210.65.88.143 Use the 'Report' link on Larry Heikkila ousts Breea Clark as Norman mayor - NonDoc No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism Issue Category All . Members of a Facebook group opposing Normans COVID response sent Clark death threats online in May 2020, and Clark said she was continually targeted and harassed online throughout the pandemic. Grant won 54.41 percent of the vote, compared to 45.59 for Hobson. Citing a study the council commissioned to better address homelessness and identify gaps in prevention programs, Thompson said he wants to follow through on those recommendations. Snell had served on the school board for more than two decades. Clark said she had not heard from other candidates, but was working to contact them. Im invested in both [the City of Norman and OU], and so Im going to make sure our negotiations are fair.. I was new to Norman and didn't know anybody. "I will be the champion Norman needs to make a positive impact for everyone in our community.". Elections Summary Voter Registration & Polling Place Ballot Measures Issues Public Statements Political Parties Election Contacts Political . Heikkila opposed mask mandates and other COVID-19 measures, while Clark had supported them. Clark received 36.46% of the. Mayor Clark's police budget-cutting seemed to many as a ME-TOO reaction to the groundswell of DEFUND movements following the death of George Floyd. By July 2020, the group attempted to trigger a recall election. We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to stretch those federal dollars, build partnerships and collaborate to solve long-standing problems in our community.. He said that the failure of city government to deliver on the Norman FORWARD project, including the construction of a new senior center, had eroded public trust. We'd love to hear eyewitness She also previously served as interim Pre-Law Club Advisor and was a member of the 2018-2019 OU Leadership Council class. In a news release, she called the visit a "field trip" to watch democracy in action, spurred by reports of election integrity issues in the 2020 presidential election. Mayor Breea Clark will face Larry Heikkila in a runoff after neither candidate captured a majority of the vote Tuesday, preliminary election results indicated. Norman voters will also vote inNorman City Councilraces on Feb. 12. Potential affordable housing solutions under consideration now include single-room occupancy spaces near the intersection of Robinson Street and Berry Road. With Mayor Lynne Miller not seeking re-election, two city council members and a community activist seek to fill her spot. Previous experiences with similar projects and collaboration at the county level could help alleviate those issues. I think we could have a ward-specific citizen commission, and experts in stormwater infrastructure and water quality combine again and make a proposal.. Affordable housing doesn't just affect the homeless, it affects people who live paycheck-to-paycheck, Clark said. "Because of Mayor Clark, I bet youre going to see the pendulum swinging conservative.". Around the world, communities are grappling with what I tend to be right about in the middle. If no candidate receives 50 percent of the vote, the runoff election will take place Tuesday, April 5. I told everyone I have one more term left in me and then someone else can have all the fun.. On today's date in 1911, record cold temperatures replaced record warmth on the same day. Norman got to this point in the race after neither Clark nor Heikkila secured 50% of the vote against numerous other candidates during the February election. Breea Diane Clark (age 39) is listed at 718 E Johnson St Norman, Ok 73071 and is affiliated with the Democratic Party. But, we are the county seat and it doesnt need to just be Normans problem, because its a countywide problem, its a nationwide problem. By July 2020, the group attempted to trigger a recall election for Clark and several Norman city council members. The citys unique position as the only Oklahoma municipality required to vote on the creation of a public utility poses a challenge for city officials to create an easily understandable, equitable funding solution, Clark said. NORMAN, Okla. - Larry Heikkila has won the runoff race for Norman mayor, defeating incumbent Breea Clark.An unofficial vote count shows that Heikkila won 12,999 votes (53 percent) to Clark's . Breea is registered to vote in Cleveland County, Oklahoma. "I really object to the idea that funding the police department has turned into a Democrat-versus-Republican question," he said. Numerous polls show most Republicans agree with Trump's falseclaim that the election was stolen. Norman's Heikkila Defeats Incumbent Clark in Mayor's Race Low near 40F. government. Threats of harming another Midway Bob, Dr. Kish, Ms. Leuck, and again, mayor-elect Heikkila, I wish you the very best.. (NonDoc) Support Journalism In the culmination of two years worth of debate over city leadership, Larry. He credited "a grassroots campaign" who wanted a change. He won over incumbent Mayor Breea Clark. If reelected, Clark aims to find solutions to Norman's storm water issues, improve infrastructureand focus on making the community more sustainable and inclusive. E.W. E-mail:breea@ou.edu At a watch party Tuesday night, Clark told supporters she will weather the loss. online throughout the pandemic. The election results listed online are unofficial until they are certified by the Oklahoma State Election Board. Clark faced notable backlash after the Norman City Council voted to reduce a proposed Norman Police Department budget increase by $865,000 in June 2020. City of Norman, 201 W Gray St,Norman, OK 73069, Information on City Council and Committee Meetings. She currently serves as Vice President of the Mayors Council of the Oklahoma Municipal League and on the Board of Directors for both the Oklahoma Municipal League and the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments. Heikkila and Leuck did not respond to requests for comment Tuesday. Floyds death led to efforts across the country to reduce police funding, but calls to defund the policy also gave birth to a movement among people who opposed the idea. I dont think people know a single barrel of oil contains 25,000 hours of human muscle power, Dunn said. However, there is no clear answer about her affiliation. They each spoke about what they believe makes them the best choice for Norman. This is amazing. If they appreciate that, it is an immediate change in how they think about their suburban homes.. I dont make partisan decisions, because partisan politics dont fill potholes. The vote occurred in the wake of the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police in May 2020. Grant, who works at Oscillator Press in Norman and serves on several municipal committees, ran on a platform of bridging the divide between Normans urban core and its outlying areas. Ruggiers picked up 64.17 percent of the vote, compared to Snells 35.83. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph.. Clear skies. The individuals who do it, they dont take on debt. news. Sworn In: 07/05/22 The more we can collaborate, the more we can stretch our dollars to do the most good.. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. In the race are incumbent Breea Clark, Bob Thompson, Dr. Nicole Kish, Larry Heikilla and Alice Stephenson-Leuck. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. As mayor, Dunn said his first priority would be for people to understand the need to conserve oil and fossil fuels in society. Experience: Before her election. Her campaign for a second term, she said, is focused less on restating commitments made in her first three years and more on goals she will pursue, if reelected. The Norman Transcript recently published analysis of Norman campaign finance reports through Jan. 28. Her challengers in the nonpartisan race are Nicole Kish, Larry Heikkila, A.E. . 32. Like Clark, Hickman has dealt with his own public backlashafter using his role asmoderator in a Ward 4 Facebook page to delete comments he judged as personal attacks. Get an email notification whenever someone contributes to the discussion. Heikkila,70, is retired after serving 26 years in the U.S. Navy and working for the city for 17 years, ending his career as a safety manager who ensuredmunicipal departments hadsafe workplaces. While the decision still resulted in an overall budget increase for NPD, the meeting encouraged the formation of Unite Norman. We moved to Norman in 2005 from Wichita, Kansas, and started our family while I was in law school at the University of Oklahoma. We believe The There was a problem saving your notification. There arent just parts of Norman, little pockets, having this issue. Larry Heikkila wins Norman mayoral race - KOCO