If you are interested in the Avionics Maintenance Technician apply today! . Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. Clear editor. A couple of units failed completely random even had a DOA with one unit. Few minutes/seconds later AHRS light will extinguish and A/P can be re-engaged. Aspen, CO. Indooroopilly, Queensland, Australia. I have tried - That means the rest of the existing traditional instruments have to stay in the panel. 2011 Piper Mirage 950 Hours SNEW, Garmin G1000 Avionics with SVT, ADS-B Compliant, GFC700 Autopilot, Honeywell Active Traffic, FIKI Liked by Adam Mabry JUST LISTED! Keep leadership and co-workers apprised of work progress and/or problems. Checked wiring. Thats because the E5 can use GPS groundspeed instead of indicated airspeed as part of its overall AHRS solution. So my 1000 was sent back under a recall and a new Pro Max was sent back. To meet the requirements of the approval, the PFD must be running the latest software . drb930 Do you upgrade your nav equipment to take advantage of all the Aspen can provide? https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Aspen Andy&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and. Then shoot the precision approach. The FAA recommends that owners and operators flying with Aspen EFD1000 and/or EFD500 units with software version 2.9 and the ADS-B IN (FIS-B) Weather Interface option installed restrict flight to Visual Flight Rules only and suspend night operations to allow safe operation in the event of loss of flight display functionality. The AIRO Group was created to pool the resources of several smaller companies into a larger entity with the chops to battle the big boys in emerging aerospace markets including unmanned aircraft of various sizes and capabilities, along with urban air mobility, and advanced avionics for defense and training. I also remember a software conflict being a problem for IFD driven g500s. Jerry. Think basic utility. During our E5 bench evaluation, we also powered up a new MAX display for comparison with the legacy Evolution Pro. The system is approved for over 650 aircraft, but we saw the vast majority in medium- to high-performance piston singles. Federal Register :: Airworthiness Directives; Aspen Avionics, Inc. GPS groundspeed (GS) and barometric pressure setting are shown in the data bar and when any of these values are either invalid or not available, the field is dashed. Not saying that is it but its just interesting. Aspen also is offering an upgrade path for its recently certified EFD1000 E5 electronic flight instrument announced in March 2018. They have the ability and bandwidth to deal these special circumstances. We are having almost identical issues in a 1994 Saratoga II HP with a legacy KAP150 autopilot, the EA100, and a GTN750 for a navigator. Our policy states that the unit must be installed by an authorized dealer. Pulling the ADS-B circuit breaker as described in section 3.2.6 of the Flight Manual supplement, has been demonstrated to resolve the issue. They will go through it and get to the bottom of what is going on. Home / Avionics / EFIS / Aspen Avionics / ASPEN E5 SYSTEM WITH TOP MOUNT RSM. Mooneyspace.com Aspen Avionics Launches Online Learning Course - AVweb (Courtesy of Aspen Avionics) During the time of the reset, the pilot might not have any EFD displayed information including access to altitude and airspeed for up to one minute. I do think part of the reason Garmin has fewer failures is the closed architecture that allows them to control what is interfaced with the pfds. Fixed Wing. It is probably rare but shows the importance of a thorough test flight after installing equipment such as this and hopefully you guys can learn something like we did. Greatly summarized, the FAA says to disable ADS-B In on EFD1000 and EFD500 units, then update the Airplane Flight Manual . Unless otherwise noted, these reviews carry product pricing from the time of the original review. Rating. The right knob is for the heading bug (HDG), editing the selected altitude field (ALT) and baro (BARO) setting. Aspen Avionics - massiv problems The video shows a paper to eight flying with him Aspen Avionics. The Aspen gave you a fail message, if you had an EA100 driving the autopilot it would have disconnected the autopilot. Wish I could say the same about my GTN 650. As one Bonanza owner put it, It just made sense. The converter is included with higher-end Evolution systems. A year later, they were shipping and the field results were mixed: Capable technology but the installations werent going as smoothly as hoped and there was a higher-than-expected failure rate.New technology always takes some time to shake out the bugs, so now that there are hundreds of units out there in the field, we surveyed users to see if the reality is living up to the marketing copy. The glideslope indicator (VDI) is placed up on the attitude display, as is the localizer (LDI) display. The coolest jobs on this planet or any other are with Lockheed Martin Space. http://imgur.com/0fZXXAk. Contact www . Upload or insert images from URL. Im pretty sure the ea100 works with many older AP systems that the GAD units are not certified for. The FAA cleared the way for pilots flying with the Aspen Avionics Evolution 1000 Pro MAX primary flight display to integrate it with Garmin's GFC 600 digital autopilot, and other avionics. Beautiful airplane but it need a new panel. Global Aircraft Cockpit Display Market 2023 Trends - MarketWatch Virtual Event: eVTOL, Promise or Pipedream? - FLYING Magazine . **** So, here goes ::::: I'm now on my 3rd Aspen E5 unit since Feb 2019. /r/avionics is a place to share and discuss the varying nature of avionics, be it analog, digital, efis, databusses, new products, troubleshooting, navigation, communication, nexgen, and even obsolete products. For more than five decades, active and dedicated aircraft owners and pilots have turned to AVIATION CONSUMER to answer their most important buying questions. The design approval holder is currently developing a modification that will address the unsafe condition identified in this AD. The fact that now itsa different box than whats on the AD illustratesthat Aspen hasvery, I do think part of the reason Garmin has fewer failures is the closed architecture that allows them to control what is interfaced with the pfds. ASPEN AVIONICS EFD1000 E5 INSTALLATION MANUAL Pdf Download Successive presses of the right knob will cycle through HDG and ALT in a round-robin sequence. I've seen this a couple of times in the fleet I work with. Need Help Diagnosing Aspen Intermittent AHRS Failure - Avionics/Panel Three of the five keys along the lower right side of the EFI function as either single-action hot keys for frequently used commands or as menu keys when the E5s menu has been activated. All rights reserved. At this time, the airworthiness concern is not an unsafe condition that would warrant airworthiness directive (AD) action under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 39. Im pretty sure the ea100 works with many older AP sys. The E5 also has basic GPS and raw nav course guidance, but there is no electronic HSI, although the E5 is fully IFR capable. I recently found and reached out to another Aspen E5 customer that is going through similar problems with his new Aspen E5.I am looking to see if other Aspen E5 customers are experiencing similar issues to help find the root cause. The Aspen unit makes sense in achieving things you could not do before. Theunsafe condition, if not addressed, could result in loss of control of the airplane in Instrument Meteorological Conditions (IMC) or at night.. Keep leadership and co-workers apprised of work progress and/or problems. Logs seem clean to me but Aspen has yet to review and make a root cause determination. Was $5395.00 . He fixed avionics problems (the old system was replaced three times) by switching to an Aspen Avionics Evolution system, and a valve problem with the engine was cured long ago. And when we would go from 30 degree bank left to right or vice versa, the attitude would go crazy. See if any of this link matches your experience That is it !!! I recently upgraded to the Max version. Ive been flying behind an Aspen 2000 since 2012 that has been absolutely trouble free. Be watching for an update from you. The AD does not apply to MAX displays that have been updated to software version 2.10.2 or any legacy Aspen Avionics displays. The main electronics are contained in the unit, including a sensor board with solid-state AHRS (attitude and heading reference system), plus a digital ADC (air data computer) thats also built into the gyro can. Definatly some pros over iron but you certainly get what you pay for. The FAA requests that owners and operators of any ADS-B IN (FIS-B) enabled aircraft and the owners and operators of Aspen EFD flight display notify the FAA contact listed below of any similar events. Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast (ADS-B) Market - MarketWatch This Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin (SAIB) informs registered owners/operators of an airworthiness concern for aircraft with an Aspen Avionics, Inc. (Aspen), Evolution EFD1000 Primary Flight Display (PFD), an EFD1000 Multi-Function Display (MFD), and/or an EFD500 MFD unit as installed by Supplementary Type Certificate (STC) No. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. A lot has been written about the size of the display. . Spent over 55,000 which included an Aspen 1000 Pro and it has been a 6 month night mare. For instance, the left and right bezel knobs are designed to provide immediate operation, yet are designed with fail-safe so you dont inadvertently cause an unwanted operation. And the AD for the previous versions of software, 2.10 or 2.10.1, where the problem might occur, rolled out in August 2020. . As mentioned in my email, it is best to have an Authorized Dealer take a look at the system and diagnose the problem. Sure, many have been plowed up for houses or 2023 Aviation Publishing Group. Avionics from Aspen Avionics - Aspen Avionics - Sarasota Avionics Went for a test flight after an install of an Aspen . Powers and grounds were replaced, the Ethernet cable was replaced, shielding was checked and the failure always happened on long cross country flights. https://mooneyspace.com/topic/32905-aspen-pro-max-issues-communication-from-aspen-avionics/, https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/719027/pn/010-GI275-06, https://aspenavionics.com/pdfs/991-00144-002_(_)_OA2020-01_MAX_EFD1000__E5_Reset_Event.pdf, https://www.bendixking.com/en/products/aeroflight, (You must log in or sign up to reply here. Thanks for clarifying this. The more the industry drags out phasing out 100LL, the more susceptible it is to looking unconcerned about public health risks. Going out of cal is a big issue with these. What Are the Best Aviation Headsets of 2020. gpac hiring Avionics Manager in Memphis, Tennessee, United States and b., of Aspen Avionics Mandatory Service Bulletin No. The E5 has a data bar that visually separates the upper and lower halves of the display. I recently found and reached out to another Aspen E5 customer that is going through similar problems with his new . On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 10:39 AM Andy Smith <, Need Help Diagnosing Aspen Intermittent AHRS Failure. I had the initial unit fail several times, but all in the first couple of weeks (May June 2008). Job specializations: Engineering. As for sourcing the nav and GPS data for display, the E5 works with GPS navigators with Arinc 429 outputs, and with analog VHF nav radios (KX155, for one) when using Aspens optional analog converter unit (ACU), which is a remote box that converts analog inputs to digital outputs. In agreement with your post although I don't think you need to have dual E5s for reliability. Your previous content has been restored. They market it somewhat that it gives GPS backup, which it does not. Keep leadership and co-workers apprised of work progress and/or problems. With competition from the G5, I would think they would be motivated to keep you happy. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Aspen / Century and all analog Auto pilotProblems - ABS Aspen Avionics President and CEO John Uczekaj, who joined the AIRO Group leadership team, voiced enthusiasm for the development in the same press release: As a recognized innovator in the general aviation segment, Aspens inclusion in the AIRO Groups diversified company portfolio not only helps strengthen Aspen Avionics current business lines but opens up opportunities in other aerospace markets that will enable future growth and innovation, Uczekaj said. they have replaced parts in one plane 4 times. The FAA has recently been notified that there have been numerous reports of Aspen EFD1000 PFD, EFD1000 MFD, EFD1000 EBD, and EFD500 MFD units with software version 2.9 and the ADS-B IN (FIS-B . Aspen Avionics Evolution E5 Dual Electronic Flight Instrument Powered by Invision Community. Aspen software update enables autopilot integration - AOPA Existing Aspen displays can be upgraded to the MAX, which could be worth it for owners of legacy Aspen displays. Are you saying mine is not installed per the STC? Make sure you their is not any ferrous material nearby, make sure you do not use power tools to install. Listing for: Lockheed Martin Corporation. As we explain in the sidebar on page 6, the E5 has a full complement of flight instruments, but (aside from the attitude and heading) they arent for primary instrument replacement. @drb930 Had a customer with a A36 KFC200 and Aspen 1000 with the EA100 that had similar issues. Thanks for the welcomecarusoamyes, looking back it has been painful but as I was going through it I really believed it was "fixed" each time a replacement came in. May 2022 - Present11 months. For more than five decades, active and dedicated aircraft owners and pilots have turned to AVIATION CONSUMER to answer their most important buying questions. RSM's are sensitive to magnetic fields (and a strong field can damage an RSM). For those who never had GPSS, we saw, My autopilot never worked this well before. For those who had an S-TEC or other GPSS-capable autopilot, GPSS is lazy. SHARE; ASPEN E5 SYSTEM WITH TOP MOUNT RSM. - E5 has a backup battery but never "goes to battery", ie like in a loss of power situation When Aspen Avionics announced its retrofit PFD system in 2007, we were impressed with the designs ingenuity and its workable price point. Replaced Ethernet cable Not sure I would want to do #2 during hard IMC. On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 10:00 AM Andy Smith wrote: I read the post and the extensive troubleshooting that you have gone through and changing out different boxes. You cannot paste images directly. Without having a backup AI in my panel, I won't fly IMC more than going thru a layer.