The 22-243win and 22-243AI I was shooting have found themselves virtually untouched, while the 22CM has dominated coyotes in a way no other 22cal has before it. Many who knew of my easy duty wondered how I did it. Not so likely. Survival Gear . The throat is the part of the barrel where the bullet exits the cartridge and begins the rifling process, or in simpler terms, where the rifling begins. I have to say, the best part about shooting the Meredith 22 CM is that its just fun to shoot. In our research though, it seems to have been made first either by George Gardner of GA Precision or by Tim McWhorter of McWhorter Custom Rifles. Buy and Sell on GunsAmerica! Filed Under: Guides Tagged With: caliber, cartridges, what load data for the 75 eld bullet powder brand a nd charge. As with any multi-purpose tool there tends to be compromises. I first heard of it from a friend that said the 22 CM came in the top 3 in a first-round hit capability study he had read. . I have rifles chambered in both 6.5 and 6mm Creedmoor (CM) but the 22 CM has captured my attention. Our Small Frame .22 Creedmoor is a bit lighter than our F4-15 EBR chambered in .224 Valkyrie. The oldest actual talk or mention of a 22 Creedmoor caliber or cartridge being a comment suggestion made by Chad Dixon from Long Rifles Inc. on another SnipersHide post on 19 September 2012, in response to another user wondering about shooting 90gr bullets from a 220 swift. Ammo, It was great for about 3 years. My Rifle isnt Shooting Right: What to do? With all that being said I dont think the 22 CM will have any problems making clean kills on deer size game out to 400-450 yards with solid shot placement. With good bullets, medium sized game can be taken quite easily with some 22 calibers. Bolt Face & Action Database - LoadDevelopment.com, Why The 6.5 Creedmoor Is The Best Overall Cartridge, Cartridge Reloading Shell Holder Reference Chart. This went on off and on.for three yearswe were the Naval Aviation version of M.A.S.H. It may not display this or other websites correctly. JavaScript is disabled. The need to find a cartridge that performs better under that very particular scenario comes with this niche emphasis. Texas Ammo Inc BallisTX 22 Creedmoor 80gr ELD-M 20rd Bx/ 25 Cs . It's a cool cartridge for sure. I totally agree! I then send those pieces of fired brass off to Whidden Gunworks to have a custom full length sizer and micrometer seater die set made. . Features & Specifications Remington 700 Action, Cylindrically Ground (Converted to Side Bolt Release) Rail Screw Threads Opened Up to 8/40 (Action Re-Blued) Shilen Alternut Installed BDL, Accepts Standard AICS 3901 & 3902 Magazines 26" Shilen Match Barrel (4 Groove Rachet Rifling) Twist: 1:7.5 Chambered by Shilen in 22 Creedmoor It shot the 80.5 Berger's with great accuracy also. I'm not worrying about getting a new barrel at the moment. If you want just 1 rifle the 243 has the ability to be a MPBR/old school varmiter right slong with the 22/250, but a much better Deer?antelope rifle. Do you think 45gr of R26 would be a good starting point? The Cross Timbersor Yukon, OK, whichever blo, Savage Small Shank Barrels 6.5 Creed 7 SAUM, PROOF TL3/Origin 6.5 Creedmoor 22" w/Hunts Lug, Noob question regarding making 22 creedmoor brass from 6 or 6.5 CM brass. I'm rough on my barrels but since I can rechamber myself I don't worry too much. .22-250. Good news Petersons 22 Creedmoor brass is very good so you dont even have to neck down brass. Gotta love the experts who denounce new cartridges as useless just because they own something similar. The 22 CM drops below that 800 ft-lb threshold at between 600 to 775 yards depending on the bullet and velocity of Copper Creeks different offerings. 45.8gr RL26, 80gr eld, Hornady brass, cci200. I love that gun..I have NEVER shot it..but I love it anyway! The 22-250AI was always an option, but many folks weren't accepting of fire forming. It's a precision rifle caliber and whether it's hunting ammo, target ammo, or long range ammo, it's all match grade kind of stuff. .22 CREEDMOOR EXCLUSIVE - Magzter How Fast Does A Barrel Erode? - PrecisionRifleBlog.com I have been shooting 22 Creedmoor since 2014 and have pressed it into service as my primary coyote hunting cartridge. I have all the necessary dies and a good sample of bullets to try it out with. Ive been shooting the 6mm Rem our of my old 788 for well over 40 years. This data may of course vary in reality (depending on a wide range of variables), but it will give you a good indication of which cartridges to stay away from if you plan on spending excessive amounts of time at the range, and are concerned over your barrels lifespan. Yet the 22-243 had obstacles of its own, with it often having somewhat narrow and finicky accuracy nodes. A chronograph for example, mostly only a rare expensive piece of laboratory technology a few decades ago, is now part of almost every precision shooter and reloaders equipment, and a very affordable one at that. And, if you shoot an AR platform, a Blaser R8, or Sauer 202, you can swap out barrels on your own in seconds. Mine is throated long, twisted fast and loaded hot but I'm able to sling 95gr SMKs at 3200fps from a 22 inch tube with H4350. Skip to content. Want to become an expert on reloading, or just gain the knowledge needed to get started, here is a list of the best reloading books available. Not sure that you actually read the post. 243 Winchester Verse 22-250 Remington barrel life expectancy? -Craddock Precision, That this Barrel is Custom Made to Order, If the Blank is in stock it will get turned soon, 6-8 month lead times are to be expected, if Blanks are not in, we then strive to ship your Barrel as soon as we can! One of the easiest ways is to select a cartridge load that does not necessarily produce the fastest muzzle velocity, but rather considers barrel life versus effective range and stopping power; settling on a favourable compromise. Both these rounds are considered fantastic for long-range shooting. Ive heard of guys blowing up 90 and 95 smks with 6.5 twist barrels. I was able to get a very consistent load with an 80gr Berger VLD Target in the 3450fps range that produced 45 firings on the brass. We have shooters today who are highly specialized in their shooting niche. Choke Tubes, Stocks and Parts . While barrel life many not be financially concerning for many shooters around the world, it is still good to understand roughly how long your barrel may last until precision starts to decline. Why is this? How To Identify a Barrel Burner Rifle Ron Spomer Outdoors You need to know that it is a laser beam and varmint vaporizer! I had a stand at the top of a rocky hill, surrounded by field. Thats some great information, i figure my barrel will be lucky to make it to 1000rds, 800-1000 seems to be a trend, Im running test with the 4831sc this weekend, and I think I low balled myself compared to those loads you posted, we will see, once again thanks for contributing, this really is one bad ass round. There have been many new cartridge designs, that came, and just died again silently, the 22 Creedmoor however seems to be here to stay, and has only just started gaining momentum. Your observation sounds spot on. For the third purpose, hunting deer sized game the 22 CM will certainly shoot far enough flat enough to get accurate hits. From what info I was able to find on the net, it was designed a few years ago by the GAP ( Georgia Precision) folks specifically to shoot long heavy .22 cal bullets at decent hunting velocity while providing a good barrel life and flawless feeding from detachable mags. 22 Creedmoor Load Data Since its' inception, in 2007 by Hornady, the 6.5 Creedmoor has seen some pretty meteoric growth in popularity. I am having the action trued up and will be bedding it into either a Savage laminate stock or an H-S Precision composite stock. Heres my issue or more correctly, just a question. The typical American had just a few all-purpose guns a few decades ago. A 22 Creedmoor for deer will work as well as any 6mm or 6.5mm caliber, and sometimes even beter out at longer distances. Gun Cases . The 22 Creedmoor's' standard is a 1-in-7/1-8-inch fast-twist barrel, combined with the increased case volume to push long and heavy .22 bullets at over at 3,450 feet per second. But I digress. The Creedmoor gets its longrange performance reputation from a combination of 140- to 143-grain, high B.C. But the popularity of this round, although not gaining momentum as fast as the 6.5mm Creedmoor, or the new 224 Valkyrie has (admittedly because it is not marketed as much by manufacturers because it means normal current Creedmoor rifles can easily be converted to 22 Creedmoor), is starting to gather speed. So I was reading this article that says barrel life on a 6.5 Creedmoor is about 2500 rounds. Want to know why speed matter for Coyotes and Varmints? Also I was able to find . I ran the numbers on the 45-70 I carried to Africa last year. Varget, H4350, and H1000 are the most common powders used with the 22 Creedmoor. Also Im just getting in to Metallic reloading and Thorley enjoy it, thanks for the heads up on making loads a bit lighter to save the barrel. When starting with 6mm Creedmoor brass, you will need to neck it down to produce 22 Creedmoor. No doubt it could be run hotter, but I don't believe the 22 Creedmoor should be ran above 3500fps with an 80gr, even with this amazing brass from Alpha Munitions. Easily adapted components, brass, and dies. This puts it in the .243 Winchester class for punch. You can use a full length (no bushing) sizing die to go from 6mm all the way to 22cal in one step, so long as the die is of good quality. It also depends on the ammo, bullet weight / style, powder, and velocities that you're running. Laugh! Everyone is in the .45 ACP vs the tiny 9mm for a couple of years..then they ALL switch to the side of the deeper hitting 9mm! The 22 Creedmoor or 22CM as some call it, was bound to happen at some point as almost every new caliber or cartridge created, gets necked down to a wildcat with a lighter bullet for more speed at some point in time, however the exact person to first do it is still to be confirmed. The net result is the 6mm BRX []. I'm starting to collect parts for a 22 Creedmoor build. Anyone else running 90 berger or 95 sierra? He has been featured on several of Outdoor Channels Shooting Gallery episodes and on a Downrange TV series. Note, I shoot it like I stole it. They are about 1180 ft-lbs. JavaScript is disabled. Then the 22 CM would be right at home in the field where it belongs. Most shooters first roll their eyes when hearing you say you have a 22 Creedmoor, just hearing the word Creedmoor, but they often do a double take a second or two later and ask, 22?. 22 Creedmoor - PredatorMasters Forums Thankfully though, there are many companies now including Hornady, Peterson, Alpha Munitions and a few more, making 22 Creedmoor brass cases. We used a Tikka T3 Stainless Action from a rifle originally chambered in 308 Win, fitted a .224 Krieger barrel on it with the chamber cut for a 22 Creedmoor, and now we have a superb Tikka 22 Creedmoor. Among his training credits include NRA Instructor, AR-15 armorer, FBI Rifle Instructor, and Officer Low Light Survival Instructor. It will not be long and 22CM dies will be in stock at the usual sources. So I'm wondering if your guys are getting that number? The 22 Creedmoor finds itself in the perfect configuration for functionality with heavy bullets within short action magazine system limitations. The process for making that brass was easy enough, but still, somewhat time-consuming. 6mm Creedmoor, Hunt and Competition - LoadDevelopment.com Bullet diameter.224, Shoulder angle30 degrees, Rim diameter.468, Case length1.92 inches, Primer typeLarge and small. Extremely stable and very accurate across a great many firings. It's an 1:11 finished at 28". Showing all 21 results. I built the 22 CM to be a dual-purpose gun, or actually a 3-purpose gun. How to Extend Rifle Barrel Life - Guns and Ammo How to Estimate Range with the Mil-Dot Reticle. I worked up a load with 22-250 brass that had been fired in the 22 Creed with 39 grains of R26 and a 77 TMK. This requires that you have the correct reloading shell holder or case holder as it is sometimes called for each of the calibers that you reload ammunition for, to ensure that you can hold the cases in the reloading press to use them. One of the reasons that the 6.5 Creedmoor has become so popular is exactly because of its light recoil . Satterlee Scott. Im running the heavier bullets, typically 88 or 95 grains. For this project, my sacrifice was in the barrel. For brass you might look into Alpha Brass. 22 Creedmoor Bartlein Barrel Build a 22 Creedmoor Bartlein to fit your needs! Thanks for your comment and for sharing your experience with us Mike. Barrel Length for 22 Creed? | Shooters' Forum Use at your own risk! Is Cheap Thermal Worth It? BAck in the 70s we used to shoot 85gr Sierra hollow point boat tail bullets in our 6mm Rems. The 22 Creedmoor will come standard with a 1-in-7-inch fast-twist barrel, and combined with the increased volume inside its case, you can push those long pills over at 3,450 feet per second! I'll elaborate more on 25 Creedmoor in future stories! as the 88gr eldm so Id assume they would stabilize in a 1-8 twist but I havent tried them or the 95gr. I have personally taken a large Zebra male with a clean headshot with my 22CM shooting a 75gr Hornady ELD-M at 3650 fps, it dropped right on the spot. SMFH. Plus I hand load HOT for that round as well. He is passionate about shooting sports and the outdoors. The seller is "hausofarms-tc4me" and is located in Elizabeth, Colorado. MOA Rifles .22 Creedmoor - Field Results, Comparisons, and Answers A barrels life expectancy can vary vastly from one caliber to the next. 22 Creedmoor Versatile Varmint and Tactical Cartridge All with R26. The primary culprit in a centerfire rifle that affects accuracy is an eroded throat, however the rest of the bore and/or rifling can wear too. Like most modern cartridges with minimum taper and 30-degree shoulders, the .22 Creedmoor is set up with long throats and fast twist barrels to handle bullets as heavy as 95 grains, pushing them as fast as 3,000 fps. With a 22 BRA (22 BR with 40deg shoulder) youll have plenty of velocity. 22 Creedmoor - Rifles by Caliber - Rifles - Firearms - Departments I HAVE shot the bbls out a a few older models, which is WHY I went to the 22-250. The notable difference is .22 CM rifles are normally equipped with faster rifling twists to stabilize heavier, higher BC bullets. In order to determine the accurate barrel life of a rifle, we can use a barrel life calculator. It makes for an excellent test platform when chambered in 6mm Creedmoor. How ever those were heavy barrels on the rifles, I mainly now have sporter barrels on all I have with the exception of the Ruger American Predators, I have Three, there barrels are a bit heavier then the sports as Im sure you all ready know. I have some R26 and R23 that I want to try. The ability of the heavy .224 bullets to retain both velocity and energy at long distances makes this . 22 Creedmoor - Northernhowlers Related Tags: What is my Rifle's [Accurate] Barrel Life Expectancy? Cerakote Options: Put the Cerakote Code you would like and we'll do the rest! The same user claimed in another post comment on 29 October 2013 that GA Precision built his 22 Creedmoor rifle more than a year and a half earlier, which if true would make their 22 Creedmoor rifle the first one created in early half of 2012, possibly unlikely as the same user was still asking about a custom 22-250 action rifle and mag feeding ammo out of it in a 13 December 2012 post, showing that it has possibly not been made by then yet. The reason this cartridge stood out in the first round hit study, is because these heavy for caliber bullets have relatively high ballistic coefficients, and can be launched at fast speeds resulting in less wind and elevation corrections being required. This will assist in understanding why groupings may eventually open up, while also allowing for timeous submission of new license applications in certain countries around the world; take South Africa for example, where a barrel may take up to 1-year to license. I think I over cooked the cream of wheat. Savage pre fits come in 2 shank sizes; Standard (small) Shank / 1.058"-20, Large / 1.120"-20. Your email address will not be published. The Creedmoor has a maximum SAAMI pressure of 62,000 psi and the PRC has a max pressure of 65,000 psi. Cartridge of the Week: The .22 Creedmoor | The Armory Life Forum Didn't think I'd ever say that over my weatherby's but it's true. Winchester Model 70 Super Grade AAAA Maple Walnut - 6.5 Creedmoor - 22